Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Homer (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/homer-1695899/)

tidy Feb 15th, 2021 04:32 PM

Homer

I have too many things for three days in Homer and some of it might be very similar.
Seldovia or Halibut Cove
possibly a day long float trip with Emerald Air to see the back country and bears
Kachemak Bay State Park
Any help would be appreciated.

dfrostnh Feb 16th, 2021 04:50 AM

I was disappointed in our trip to Seldovia because I was comparing it to the one out of Seward which had more narration, glaciers, and more sea life.

tidy Feb 16th, 2021 10:03 AM

thanks for this info. I am thinking that Seldovia is the one that we will not do. I also can get sea sick, I am hoping that we have calm waters.

Gardyloo Feb 16th, 2021 10:19 AM

You currently have three threads going regarding your proposed trip to Alaska. So that we can be more responsive, would you be so kind as to supply the following information?

What month(s) is this trip going to take place?
How long is the trip?
What is the general plan? You're including parts of SE Alaska (Juneau) but where else besides the Denali - Anchorage - Kenai Peninsula spine in the rest of the state?
How will you be getting around?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

janisj Feb 16th, 2021 10:31 AM

In addition to Gardyloo's questions, I'd actually ask the editors to combine all of your current Alaska threads into one - few things in Alaska exist in a bubble and the answers to a lot questions depend on where you are traveling from and where to the next day and what you will have seen along the way.

HappyTrvlr Feb 16th, 2021 11:39 AM

We took a sea plane from Homer to Katmai NP to see the bears fishing in the waterfalls, an amazing sight to see.

MichelleY Feb 16th, 2021 12:49 PM

You will mostly likely get seasick on the trip out of Seward, too. I took medication to combat this.

tidy Feb 16th, 2021 01:27 PM

Oh dear, I guess I will need meds.
So we start our trip in Sitka on May 27th. We will be on a small boat (Uncruise) for 1 week, Sitka to Juneau. Then after 2 nights in Juneau we will head to Homer (3 or 4 nights), Seward (2 nights) then to Palmer (1 night) Denali (1 night at a cabin close by and then 2 nights at mile 92 (Backcounty Lodge), then back to Anchorage to fly home.

MichelleY Feb 18th, 2021 08:54 AM

With the week on the cruise, you will probably see glaciers and marine life. Sometimes a lot of what you can see or do depends on the weather. So, I would play the rest by how you feel or if weather prevented you from an excursion earlier. If the weather is good, do what you can as there is no guarantee what you will be able to do later on in your trip.

benjaminhadden4994 Feb 27th, 2021 02:43 PM

dfrostnh Which sightseeing trip did you take from Seward? Im planning my Summer weeklong trip now and want to spend time in Seward.

dfrostnh Feb 27th, 2021 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by benjaminhadden4994 (Post 17217182)
dfrostnh Which sightseeing trip did you take from Seward? Im planning my Summer weeklong trip now and want to spend time in Seward.

i don't think the trip is offered anymore. It was a nature cruise over to Seldovia, overnight at a hotel and then a flightseeing trip over a glacier before returning to Homer. Theplane ride was short but fun. But the boat trip was not as interesting as the trip out of Seward.

JBeth Feb 27th, 2021 10:38 PM

Halibut Cove was one of our favorite parts of our two visits to Alaska. The boat ride from Homer was fun. The town is super charming, quaint and picturesque.