Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Home Exchangers: would you ever consider Dresden for a swap?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My husband received a great job opportunity in Dresden, Germany. For that reason, we visited the old Baroque city last week.
I was impressed with the gorgeous castles, the Frauenkirche, the vineyards, the mild climate and the people.
Since we are very enthusiastic home exchangers, I would like to find out from you if you would find Dresden an interesting destination for a home exchange?
By the way, Dresden is a 2 h drive from Prague and Berlin.
I really appreciate your input.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Hi, Ostara!

Concerning the desirability of Dresden as a house swap location, you might have better luck with comments and receive actual responses if you re-post on the Europe board.

Many persons posting there are familiar with the various European and German cities. They would give you good and cogent opinions.

Good luck!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM

ABSOLUTELY I would do it!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 09:41 AM

I don't know, I think this board might be good as the target would be Americans. I gather that is whom ostara wants to swap with.

It's a nice area in some ways, although I didn't like Dresden that well, myself, but I know many Germans like it. I thought a lot of it is still rather ugly due to all the construction or reconstruction, especially the area around Frauenkirche.

Anyway, I wouldn't be interested because I don't like Germany that well, but a lot of people do and it is a very good location for visiting eastern Germany, and Czech Republic, as you said. It's not too much farther to some interesting spots in POland, also, like Wroclaw.

I think a lot of Americans might like that, but maybe the whole eastern Germany thing would not be of so much interest, a lot of them want the Romantic Rd, etc. I actually liked Leipzig better than Dresden, and of course, it's an easy trip from Dresden.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. Good idea to post this thread in the European Forum as well.
I was afraid to hear Christina's answer.
At present we live in Munich. We get plenty of home exchange offers from all over the world. I would really miss that.
Any other thoughts?