Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hollywood restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hollywood-restaurants-76254/)

Megan Jun 16th, 2000 12:02 AM

Hollywood restaurants

I've just found Neal's wonderful posting on "Bubbling Brook" experiences and I noticed no-one really mentioned LA. Has anyone got any tips for good, no-nonense, no mortgage required eating experiences in LA, particularly around Hollywood?

michele Jun 16th, 2000 09:32 PM

Megan. <BR>Well, I don't know exactly what you mean by "No mortgage required" but here are a few suggestions: <BR>Musso and Frank's- the oldest restaurant in Hollywood, favorite watering hole of F. Scott Fitzgerald and William Faulkner so you know they have a great bar. Home of the definitve martini and excellent basics, lamb chops, Ceaser salad, seafood salad...It CAN be pricey as everything is a la carte. Smack dab on H'wood BLVD. <BR> <BR>P. Shaw's Bistro- a just plain charming place with a terrace on Gower Gulch (!!) featuring reasonably priced and delicious French and a touch of tres refined Cajun food. Your chef, P. Shaw ,hails from S. Florida and is on hand to answer any questions. Just lovely... <BR> <BR>Pinot Hollywood- across the street from Shaw's , more popular and not nearly as good. Lamb chops, chicken, fancy martinis ( stuff that would never be served at Musso's) <BR> <BR>Off Vine-- that's where it is... in an old Hollywood bungalow. Popular with the theatre crowd, good Americana chow, nice patio <BR> <BR>Les Deux Cafes on Palm in one of the sleaziest areas of Hollywood is one of hippest places. It is a place to be seen, the food is good, not great, but if you want to make the scene , this is it . Michele Lamy is your French hostess, VERY CHIC. <BR> <BR>A good place for a drink and and great view is Yamashiro way -up the hill off Franklin. Japanese pagoda, used as the Officer's Club in SAYONARA..good views. lots of atmosphere. <BR> <BR>Basic red-sauce and pizza and good Italian : Miceli's on Vine. Music (jazz spot) certain nights, can't remember which..very reasonable. <BR> <BR>These are ALL right off the tarnished, but oh-so-entertaining- to -this- movie fan boulevard. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps, <BR> <BR>Michele

Megan Jun 18th, 2000 11:30 PM

Thanks Michele! I really appreciate your info. My "mortgage" reference was a small joke about the terrible (for us) conversion rate for the Aus dollar at present. <BR> <BR>

Reetty Jun 19th, 2000 03:48 AM

Hi there Michelle <BR> <BR>just wondering what time of year you are headed off to LA <BR>as we will be there in january and were interested in the same info <BR>thanks <BR>Rieta <BR>Melb

michele Jun 19th, 2000 08:03 AM

Megan and Reety, <BR>Don't miss having a drink at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. It has a beautifully restored Spanish Mission style ( lots of tiles and dark wood) lobby. My friends enjoy brunch there and I have heard good things about the rooms , in case you need a hotel in H-wood. The pool was painted by David Hockney and is worth a look, too. Their nightclub , the Cinegrill, gets good performers. I saw Eartha Kitt there and Blossom Dearie. Hollywood is really trying to spruce up its image. It's slow going, but it's getting there. <BR> <BR>Michele