Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Holiday travel - are you going or are you staying put?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Flying turkey

There's a lot of talk in the papers over how the war and the Queens plane crash will stifle holiday travel. Well, we're still going (to Anchorage for Thanksgiving next week) and I was wondering about everybody else here in Fodor-land. Are you staying put or traveling for the holidays? Have you changed your plans due to recent events? How did you decide?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Southern Gentleman

Well, we're still going to visit family as we always do but we're not going to fly this year. Maybe next year after they've figured out security.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:26 AM
grasshopper

We are flying to Colorado for Thanksgiving and Paris for Christmas. I guess I just feel like statistics are in my favor.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:31 AM
jane

We're going to stay closer to home this year.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Judy

We will be staying home. Not for security reasons, but because there are not enough vacation days to cover the driving trip.
I would not mind flying, but it is toooooo pricey IMO... almost a thousand dollars for 3 people!
Judy

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Dan

We are flying (Boston to Florida) for Thanksgiving; staying at home for Christmas.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:46 AM
cj

We are staying home for Thanksgiving, like we planned, but we are going to spend Florida with family. We have not spent a Christmas with my husbands family since 1972. This was planned a year ago and nothing is going to stop this reunion. We are flying from New York to Florida. I can't see lightening striking twice.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Nicole

Going but in between holidays...Work won't give either Thanksgiving or X-Mas off. Wish I had more vacation days...

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Viv

We are flying to Key West right after New Years.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Ginny

We are staying home as we do every year, because this is a busy time for my husband's business. We usually take a vacation after the first of the year.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Dottie

We are flying for Thanksgiving to be with family and then flying for business after that. Not real comfortable flying, but will do it anyhow.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Debbie

We'll be doing the family thing around our big, beautiful fireplace up north.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Glenda

I'm going to Atlanta to see my sister right after Christmas. I got an amazing airfare last August, but now am concerned not so much with safety as whether America West will still be in business when the time comes. What happens if they go under? Am I just out of luck?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Wendy

Paris for New Years!! Yes I will be a bit nervous but I guarantee that the wine, cheese and shopping will set my mind at ease!!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 09:23 PM
ldsant

Checking into a very nice hotel here for turkey day and then going away the week after - after all of the other folks travel! Staying here for Christmas but only because I don't get very many days off. . .Otherwise, I'd be on a plane somewhere!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:02 AM
pj

Well lets see we are leaving for Ireland on Thankgiving. Doing some snowboarding in Austria in Jan. Then march will be springtime in Paris!! Everything is booked and payed for. We are going for it!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:05 AM
lisa

We are staying -- but that was our plan all along. We bought tix for my family to come to NYC for T-giving. My mom (who's afraid to fly *anyway*) insisted after 9/11 that they would still come. Yesterday, she called again and said they're still coming! I'm very excited.

For Christmas, we have plans to go to the IL's and are trying to decide whether to fly or drive (6 hours to upstate NY -- weather could be iffy). We will probably bite the bullet and fly, but don't like the fact that we have to travel on a puddle-jumper.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Sandy

Flying to Paris . . . wow-eeeee!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:46 AM
S

We're on the road for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Driving both holidays. It's only 300 miles to my parents and would take longer to fly than to drive. My in-laws are 650 miles away. From my front door to theirs is 11 hours driving (~$100 gas), and 8 hours flying (~$1000 in airline tickets and rental car). For the 3 hour/$900 difference, we're driving.

Hey, gas is $1.07/gallon down the road.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:50 AM
joan

Flying our family of four to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for Thanksgiving! Yipppeeee!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -