Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Holiday spirit in Boston for long weekend (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/holiday-spirit-in-boston-for-long-weekend-272146/)

vegaspoolbum Nov 10th, 2002 08:22 AM

Holiday spirit in Boston for long weekend

Bought a coat and coming to Boston for long weekend December 12th looking forward to seeing Christmas lights and major attractions-need suggestions please. where are the best lit trees and lights? I have booked the Swissotel and thought the days would be spent seeing the sights via the old trolley tour (like the idea of being able to get on and off) and have tix for show on saturday nite near boston common so will see that and the iceskaters on frog pond that night- where should we go Thurs and Friday nite? Looking forward to your suggestions

topper Nov 11th, 2002 08:07 AM

ttt

zootsi Nov 11th, 2002 10:38 AM

All of downtown Boston will be very festive this time of year. Places to see would be Fanuel Hall/Quincy Market, which is a pedestrian plaza which will be ablaze with lights, and will probably have some street entertainers about. The Boston common is quite beautiful at Christmastime, with twinkling lights in the trees, and all the surrounding stores in holiday decorations. Newbury Street, which is an upscale street of shops, cafes and galleries should also be fun. Spend a night in the North End, which will have it's traditional vintage style Christmas lights up on Hanover Street, and smells of garlic and tomato sauce will fill the crisp night air. One comment on your hotel - although it is quite a nice hotel,and is quite central, the immediate area is a little gritty being close to the old 'combat zone'. I'm sure you will be fine, but don't have expectations of being in a charming Boston neighborhood.

vegaspoolbum Nov 13th, 2002 07:34 PM

Thank you for your suggestions, I read earlier posts about the hotel, but with the 3rd night free, it was just too good to pass up. What streets border the "combat zone"? We do plan on doing some walking and don't want to end up in the bad area by mistake. Any particular place in the North end for the pasta? again thank you

Imhereyourethere Nov 14th, 2002 12:27 PM

The combat Zone is history. Enjoy your stay in Boston. The Swissotel is located in Downtown crossing bordering chinatown.

GR Dec 6th, 2002 11:20 AM

I know this is late, but I suggest the Somerville Light Tour. It's a trolley tour to see neighborhood lights in one of Boston's residential neighborhhods (one of the densest cities in the country).<BR><BR>http://www.somervilleartscouncil.org...lum/index.html

bennie Dec 6th, 2002 02:20 PM

Try to get tickets to the Boston Ballet's Nutcracker - its a Boston tradition especially if preceded by tea at the Ritz or a performance of the Black Nativity another Boston tradition. On Dec 12 there will be a Christmas Stroll in the Beacon Hill neighborhood (borders the Common). Check out Boston.com for other ideas.

Chris Dec 6th, 2002 05:09 PM

Stay on the &quot;front&quot; side of your hotel at night - bordering the park and don't walk in the areas behind the hotel. During the day this area is fine and borders Chinatown - which is a great take on Saturday morning if you have time. It is literally blocks away from your hotel. Use caution in the park at night - see those lights around dusk to 6 PM and then forget about the park. Enjoy our lovely city!

Jon-Eric Dec 6th, 2002 05:27 PM

I agree with the Faneuil hall and Quincey Marketplace suggestion. Oh... you might be in luck if thats when theyre doing Christmas Stroll on Nantucket Island? I'd do that; very short plane ride from Boston on CapeAir.<BR>Main St. Nantucket is beautiful at Xmas.<BR>

Parrot Mom Dec 6th, 2002 05:36 PM

Don't forget the ice skating on the Frog Pond.....One of the trolley tours does a Chocolate Tour....

lou Dec 6th, 2002 08:33 PM

Definately do the Nutcracker. boston Ballet is great and the theatre is like visiting a museum. Go for the cheap seats,,,,,you may be able to move closer.

vegaspoolbum Dec 7th, 2002 11:35 AM

Thank you for the great suggestions! Planning on the stroll on the 12th, and going to try for tix to the somerville light tour. Any idea on approx cab price to somerville? Friday night is still open and still have time to add more to the &quot;list to do/see&quot;, so please keep the suggestions coming