We are visiting Oahu and the Big Island in November. Due to the availability of FF miles, we are splitting our time on Oahu. We will be there Wed - Saturday morning of Thanksgiving weekend, and return the following Saturday morning (Pearl Harbor Day), leaving Sunday night. Due to using miles tickets for all flights, we are locked into our schedule.
Mom wants to visit the Polynesian Cultural Center as she has fond memories from when she lived there 40 years ago. I am thinking to include the evening show in our visit. As PCC is not open on Thanksgiving we have Thanksgiving Friday (Waikiki Holiday Parade Day) or the following Saturday (Pearl Harbor Day Parade) to visit the PCC. For the first part of our visit, we will be staying in Waikiki; the second half, Ko Olina.
Ideally, the last 2 days would be to simply relax on the beach before ending our vacation as we have so many activities planned for the Big Island; however, I have mixed feelings. Perhaps some feedback will help me make some decisions.
1. Anyone have experience with both parades? Is one bigger or more elaborate than the other? Would you pass on an activity in order to attend either parade? They seem to honor Pearl Harbor Day vets in both parades, but is the Pearl Harbor Day parade more historical or sentimental?
2. Does it make sense planning activities around either parade?
3. I thought about splitting the PCC trip with visiting the PCC for the villages day on Friday after Thanksgiving, then returning to Waikiki for the parade. Will traffic and lane closures for the parade make this a bad idea? (It certainly wouldn't work where I live!)
4. We've all attended luaus before and visited Oahu before; are we missing out if we visit the PCC for the day and bypass the night show? (But for mom, I might have passed on PCC altogether.)
5) Any must do Pearl Harbor Day events that have historical/sentimental value?
I am open to suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Everglades en route from Ft Myers to Miami doable?
- 2 10 Day California Vacation Advice
- 3 4 days in San Diego
- 4 Grand Canyon trip from Breckenridge
- 5 NY theater district restaurant
- 6 Family winter holiday
- 7 Please help - Hawaii itinerary - big island and Honolulu
- 8 Trip to Cali
- 9 Miami: Coconut Grove or Little Havana?
- 10 Need Help Picking a Neighborhood in Boston
- 11 The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip
- 12 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 13 Christkindlmarket in Chicago
- 14 CAR TRIP FROM WI TO CA (in winter!!)
- 15 Minneapolis to Mount Rushmore (worth it?)
- 16 Quiet Restaurant in Minneapolis for a celebratory dinner with a deaf guest
- 17 Big Sur weather in early December
- 18 PAC coast highway Oregon
- 19 Lake Quinault Lodge
- 20 Our next summer trip
- 21 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 22 Boston Must Do's with 4 year old
- 23 Dulles to BWI
- 24 Drive Time from Philadelphia to Gettysburg?
- 25 Lodging in Yellowstone Park