Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Sunspree--Disney (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/holiday-inn-sunspree-disney-44989/)

Martin May 23rd, 1999 09:56 PM

Holiday Inn Sunspree--Disney

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree just outside of Disney World? It looks like a good place to take our kids, but a part of me wonders whether we should just stay on-site.

Susan May 24th, 1999 04:11 AM

Martin: Listen to that part! If you're doing Disney, on-site is a must. Not only do you get many great perks, but there truely is something about staying "in the Magic". The All Star Resorts are inexpensive and so close to the new Animal Kingdom and (best of all) Blizzard Beach. I can't urge you enough to take advantage of on-site perks. We've tried both on- and off- (as well as different Resorts within Disney) and the All Star is the only way to go! Have Fun!

Susan May 24th, 1999 04:12 AM

Martin: Listen to that part! If you're doing Disney, on-site is a must. Not only do you get many great perks, but there truely is something about staying "in the Magic". The All Star Resorts are inexpensive and so close to the new Animal Kingdom and (best of all) Blizzard Beach. I can't urge you enough to take advantage of on-site perks. We've tried both on- and off- (as well as different Resorts within Disney) and the All Star is the only way to go! Have Fun!

ilisa May 24th, 1999 05:10 AM

Listen to Susan's advice. She is absolutely right. 0n site is the only way to go. I'm planning my 18th trip to disney in October, and with my Magic Kingdom Club discount, will be staying 4 nights at All-Star Movies for only $66 per night (plus 2 nights at Boardwalk). It can be completely affordable to stay in a Disney Resort. By doing so, you can take advantage of Disney transportation, early entry, e-nights, and other things. Last April, we were able to see Animal Kingdom during sneak previews before it officially opened because we were resort guests. You can't do things like that by staying off property. Please feel free to email me if you would like more information.

annemarie May 24th, 1999 05:45 AM

I never feel the same if I stay offsite. Last July, we stayed at the Coronado Springs(moderate new property on site) for 4 nights and then the Vistana(a highly rated condo resort facility offsite) I much preferred the feeling on the Disney property. You get into the theme parks an hour earlier. Rent a frig to save a bit of money and purchase a large Disney souvenir cup at your property for 8.00 and receive unlimited beverages be they hot or cold(excluding juices). Feel free to email me directly for more info. Oh yes, the Vistana was a short ways from the Holiday Inn Sunspree-it is right on a major road and I do know of a friend who stayed there 2 years ago and he said it was alright. On site is the way to go. If yIf you do decide against this,look into the EmbassySuites right beside the Crossroads Shopping Centre in Lake Buena Vista.Annemarie

Fodor's Editors May 24th, 1999 11:40 AM

Why don't you try asking Karen Cure, our new Hosted Forums Host on our Walt Disney World Forum? She's quite an expert....

dbay May 24th, 1999 11:59 AM

I can't answer your question about HI Sunspree but our experience staying off the property was excellent. We stayed at Summmerfield Suites in Lake Buena Vista right near the Crossroads Shopping Center. We were able to get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite , with free breakfast for 5 people. The property, pool, everything was a delight. We paid $99. a night. They offered us this 2 bedroom at the 1 bedroom rate because we requested a one bedroom but it only came with a king bed. When we are on vacation we do not want to be tripping over suitcases etc. and sharing a bathroom with our family of 5. For anything longer than a weekend with a familly I think a suite is the only way to go. Especially for us with 3 children. I know the argument for the Allstar Resorts is that you are hardly in the room but early in the morning and late at night things can get pretty cranky and hectic. Most of the people who insist that you stay on site must have a lot more patience than me or a lot more money to stay in a suite type arrangement on site. Also, in our 2br suite we also had a full kitchen and numerous national restaurants within minutes. Just a little plug for staying off site.

annemarie May 24th, 1999 03:42 PM

As stated directly above, if onsite is not the way to go for you, certainly a property in the vicinity of the Crossroads shopping centre right outside the Disney complex would be my second choice. I worry about people that choose places up in the International Drive area, in Orlando proper or in Kissimmee. Not that nice places cannot be had here, but that you are too far away from the whole experience and often in too congested an area. How many children do you have? Annemarie

Martin May 24th, 1999 08:18 PM

In response to a question from one of the postings, I have a 9 and a 5 year-old. The reasons I was interested in the Sunspree were its being one of the closest hotels to Disney (about 1-2 miles), it claims to have a very extensive children's program and I can get a kidsuite with fridge, microwave and many other amenities for $82 a night with discounts (on-season $142), while the discounts at Disney properties with Magic Kingdon Club card are much more modest (lowest rate for Sept. at a moderate resort, such as Caribbean Beach, is $119). I have stayed on-site in the past and ache over making the right decision--that is why I am trying to find people who actually stayed at this motel. If it was a bad experience, I would rather pay $119 for the peace of mind, but if the Sunspree is everything it is advertised, it sounds like a much better value (as my 5 year-old doesn't have the stamina and patience to go to Disney early and buy the E-ticket--we will probably need to spend more time at our hotel).

kim May 25th, 1999 01:31 PM

Martin: I do not know how old your kids are. Our family stayed there a few years ago and the boys (5 & 8) loved Max's Kingdom as much as any part of the vacation!!! However, if you are only doing Disney..stay Disney. We liked the Wilderness Lodge and all of the perks make staying on site worth every penny. (we even thought Fort Wilderness may be fun sometime for a change.) Check it out!

kim May 25th, 1999 01:37 PM

Martin: <BR>Sorry. I didn't see your last message before I posted. I would for sure stay at Sunspree again. The bus was convenient to take us to Disney and the hotel service was excellent. Unless it has changed drastically, you won't be sorry! We loved it!

Diana Sep 18th, 1999 12:35 PM

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me more about the hotel? I see someone stayed there. Last time we went to WDW, we stayed at the Polynesian. Our kids were small, but now they are older. I would only recommend staying onsite if kids are young or you have lots of money Our rate at the Sunspree for a kidsuite is $80.10/night