Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Express W. 45th (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/holiday-inn-express-w-45th-587153/)

HarryR Feb 1st, 2006 05:14 AM

Holiday Inn Express W. 45th

Just a follow up to a previous post to let you know that this hotel worked out well for us. It is only two months old so everything is in great shape. The king bed room was very tight but we spent hardly any time in our room so who cares. The room also had a flat screen TV, coffee maker, adequate storage, desk and chair. The bath was small but nice. No tub but a very nice walk in shower. They serve a free continental breakfast that was fairly good and have a business center in the lower level that provides free internet access. There is also an internet access hookup in the room. The location worked out well for us being on 45th btwn. 5th & 6th. A ten minute walk from Grand Central or Times Square.
From recommendations we received on Fodors we made reservations at Maria Pia on 51st and Becco on 46th as they were convenient to the theaters we were attending.Both places were very good and we would return to either in the future.
Of course it helped that we were in NYC for that great 64* Monday.

mclaurie Feb 1st, 2006 08:39 AM

2 Italian meals! Would you go back to the HI Express or would you opt for a larger room someplace else?

HarryR Feb 1st, 2006 09:28 AM

Two italian meals, but one pasta with a Puttanesca sauce and one OssoBuco. I have a friend who already looked into the HI Express for March and the price is going up quickly, so I don't know if I would return for a much higher price. All things being the same I would definitely return as we spend so little time in our room. While I did miss not having a gym and a couple other ammenities, the greatly reduced price from other mid-town hotels made it an easy decision to stay there. In my opinion many NYC hotels are way over priced for what they offer. Of course I realize this is just a personal opinion and they charge what the market will accept.

nytraveler Feb 1st, 2006 10:15 AM

It's not the hotel you're paying for - it's being in New York. the same reason hotels are so expensive in Rome, Paris and London.

(Also you need to realize how much higher costs are for construction, property taxes, labor etc. I don;t know about where you live but they're now paying Mickey D counter kids $12 per hour - and have trouble getting high school kids for that.)

grantop Feb 7th, 2006 03:09 AM

nytraveler yes you ARE paying for being in NYC, but rates in the city are much higher than in Paris, and you can snag a 4* hotel in London on PL for $65 - you can't do that in NYC anymore. haven't stayed in Rome lately so I can't compare to that.

highflyer Feb 7th, 2006 06:04 AM

I've booked this hotel for a 2 night stay in April. I wanted to be near the Grand Hyatt where my sister will be staying and I liked the great rate plus the fact that the hotel was new.

HarryR, did you notice if noise was a problem at this hotel? I'm interested in both exterior noise from the street (should I request a high floor?) and if you noticed any noise from neighboring rooms. Thanks

HarryR Feb 7th, 2006 07:58 AM

grantop - I didn't answer the previous reply since it is just an opinion, but I agree that the room rates in most European major cities are high, but not in the same actegory as NYC.

highflyer - I noticed no interior noise, but did hear a garbage truck outside one morning pretty early.

grantop Feb 7th, 2006 08:50 AM

Yes, that's what I said, NYC hotels have become very expensive and Europe is actually cheaper (but I won't stop trying to find a decent rate and getting to the city!)

The breakfast and the internet connection really add value to the HI Exp. Glad you had a good experience there.

highflyer Feb 7th, 2006 11:44 AM

Thanks, HarryR!

I was hoping for that kind of information. I'm looking forward to my stay!

Thanks again for the report...I couldn't find any info on Tripadvisor so it really helped

HarryR Feb 7th, 2006 12:01 PM

highflyer - It is on Trip Advisor but hard to find. On Trip Advisor go to New York City, then use the search function for "Holiday Inn Express NYC". It has been getting very good reviews. Of course their introductory rates have been going up pretty fast but it is still inexpensive by Manhattan standards. Enjoy!!