Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Holiday GTG in Manhattan? You in? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/holiday-gtg-in-manhattan-you-in-868320/)

travelbuff Dec 1st, 2010 06:34 AM

Holiday GTG in Manhattan? You in?

Noat all that long ago we had a GTG in Manhattan at a lovely cafe not far from Times Square, the weather was great and the opportunity to meet so many regualrs was even better.

It looks like there are going to be a bunch of Fordorites coming through the city over the holidays and I thought,,,,,,,,um........time for a party!!!!!!!!!

So what say you one and all?????????????

You in?

And WHEN and WHERE?

persimmondeb Dec 1st, 2010 09:25 AM

I might be. Depends mostly on the "when".

laurieb_nyny Dec 1st, 2010 11:28 AM

Yes -- where was it last time? I missed it :-( But I work nearby. Are we talking dinner or just drinks?

SueNYC Dec 1st, 2010 05:02 PM

Perhaps - I'm around except for 12/3-8

travelbuff Dec 2nd, 2010 07:14 AM

How about drinks/maybe dinner say December 18th? Lots of places I can think we can meet up midtown.

ggreen Dec 2nd, 2010 08:05 AM

I'd be interested - but all my Dec weekend eves are booked up already! (Doesn't help that practically everyone I know has a Dec birthday, my bf and myself included LOL.)

travelbuff, I know you just put it out there for a Saturday; but a weekday evening would be great...

persimmondeb Dec 2nd, 2010 08:56 AM

To be honest, Wednesdays are usually the very best day for me. December tends to be busy, though. I could probably swing the 23rd, too, although it may be too close to Christmas.

ggreen Dec 2nd, 2010 09:41 AM

I could do any Wed except 12/8, and 12/22 is iffy. I also could do 12/23: my mother will be in town, but no reason she can't join in!

Elkaz Dec 2nd, 2010 12:09 PM

I don't know if I have been here long enough to be acknowledged as a semi-regular. I could swing by on a Wed. eve--can't eat, restricted diet--but could say hi!

travelbuff Dec 2nd, 2010 04:27 PM

A WEDNESDAY it is,,,,,,which one works for everyone?

persimmondeb Dec 3rd, 2010 04:25 AM

12/15 and probably 12/22 should be okay, barring strange things happening in my life. 12/8 is no good for me, since I'll be in Ireland.

laurieb_nyny Dec 3rd, 2010 07:07 AM

Yes! either 12/15 or 12/22 would be fine. Definitely NO on weekends.

travelbuff Dec 3rd, 2010 07:51 AM

Ok, so it looks like it's December 15th, a nice place for drinks midtown, how about the Houndstooth Pub, on 8th and 37 or 38th that work. It's large enough and there's even a party room downstairs and the food there is good and well priced.

Any other suggestions of places to meet?

ggreen Dec 4th, 2010 06:32 AM

12/15 is now on my calendar! Houndstooth Pub looks fine though I've never been there. For an option not so far west, what about Brendan's just off Herald Square? It's pretty spacious, both in the bar area and for dinner seating, food is good if basic... http://www.menupages.com/restaurants...ans-bar-grill/

travelbuff Dec 5th, 2010 07:39 AM

Just looked at the Brendans website and it looks like more of a restaurant and less of a bar and Houndstooth is more of a bar and less of a restaurant and we can make lots of noise and move the chairs around to our hearts content. There's also happy hour until 7pm.

So does this sound like a good plan for Wed, December 15th at 5pm at Houndstooth?

Reservations,,,,,,,please.

ggreen Dec 5th, 2010 07:52 AM

Funny, that's not how I would describe Brendan's at all - rather, it's a substantial, typical bar area in the front opening up to the dining area in the back. Maybe on the website they're trying to emphasize the establishment as being one thing over another?

That said, Houndstooth should be fine.

travelbuff Dec 5th, 2010 09:05 AM

If there are enough of us we can have th party room downstairs, whiuch might be fun too. Just had a thought a "Secret Santa"? That might be fun, bring a small wraped gift to exchange. If you think that's too much trouble, then never mind, but just thought it would be fun.

travelbuff Dec 5th, 2010 09:06 AM

oh......and bring friends the more the merrier. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!

laurieb_nyny Dec 6th, 2010 09:25 AM

Very good. I may be a few minutes late as I leave work at 5 & have to walk about 10 blocks to the restaurant.

ellenem Dec 6th, 2010 11:31 AM

This may work for me. I'll keep you posted.