Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Holiday Family Travel with 3 kids ages -- Northeast - NY state or PA area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/holiday-family-travel-with-3-kids-ages-northeast-ny-state-or-pa-area-907213/)

dianne1217 Sep 25th, 2011 12:32 PM

Holiday Family Travel with 3 kids ages -- Northeast - NY state or PA area

Hi,
Does anyone have any great recommendations of where my husband and I might take our 3 kids (twins age 4 and older child age 7) during the holiday break between Christmas and New Years. we live in NYC and plan to drive somewhere like Hershey, PA or Catskills/Hunter and want to keep the driving to about 4 hours max if possible. We would like something with a full kitchen but in a resort with things to do for the kids and for us. We plan to take a nanny with us. We think our smaller 2 are still a bit young for skiing but sleigh riding would be great.
thanks
dianne

J62 Sep 25th, 2011 05:32 PM

Take a look at Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires. They have a lot of condo accommodations and family friendly activities.

debsnj Sep 26th, 2011 06:18 PM

Friends of mine love Woodloch Pines in the Poconos. They have hotel rooms and condos/villas.

telechick Sep 27th, 2011 06:15 AM

I don't know if this would appeal, but there's the Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos. It's a total family resort and seems to be popular from what I've heard (no personal experience). http://www.greatwolf.com/poconos/waterpark. If you're into skiing, Camelback Mtn is nearby.

dianne1217 Oct 4th, 2011 01:29 PM

i looked into woodloch pines and after finding out about all the resort offers for families with kids it seems to be a great idea. My only objection is the COST. At that time of year the approximate cost for a party of 6 -- 3 adults/3 kids is $900 per day per person including meals.

J62 Oct 4th, 2011 02:49 PM

Ouch. $900 per person, per day is steep. That adds up to $5400 per night for the family, or over $16,000 for 3 nights.

Who has that kind of $$ to spend on a holiday?

Bowsprit Oct 4th, 2011 03:22 PM

dianne1217: I was gobsmacked by the figure you gave for a stay at Woodloch Pines and took a look at the website to check.
Although the site is confusing, the amount you've quoted per person is actually the total cost for 3 adults and 3 children per night including meals. Please check again.

I started a reservation so I could check rates and came up with a total for 6 people (including all meals) of $5,841.31 for 4 nights, 12/26-12/30. Although not a budget choice for many, this $6,000.00 for 6 people for a 4 night stay including meals is certainly more reasonable than what was originally thought to be the going rate! It works out to be about $250.00 a day per person including meals. Cheers!

Bowsprit Oct 4th, 2011 03:24 PM

It would be less for 5 people. I don't know why I thought you were a party of 6.

J62 Oct 4th, 2011 03:36 PM

Deluxe Lakeview
2 adults, 3 kids

4 nights. I get $4282, or $214 per person, per night. Still at $1000/night it's a pricey trip for a family of 5.

Bowsprit Oct 4th, 2011 04:03 PM

Yep. As I said, maybe not a budget choice for everyone.

dianne1217 Oct 5th, 2011 03:03 AM

To clairfy--we are bringing our niece with us to help us with the kids and booking her a room (total 1100. incl meals) for us we were looking at a 2 bedroom unit with a small kitchen BUT the resort forces you to buy their 3 meals a day meal plan. the reason to get the 2 bedroom room with the full kitchen was to save money and aggravation of having to drag 3 kids to restaurants and at very least eat breakfast in the room. the package dates at that time of year are 12/26 -- 12/29. no exceptions on anything. you have to book those dates (understandable bc of time of year) and you have to buy their meal plan. the total came to about 5400 for 6 of us which divided by 6 = 900 per day per person. A family trip to Florida is looking more and more attractive! thanks for all of your replies! safe travels to all!

J62 Oct 5th, 2011 03:13 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Have fun!

I think it's the "per day" that threw us off in the calculations...

Bowsprit Oct 5th, 2011 04:34 PM

Hi dianne: You don't have to buy the meal plan if you reserve a unit as opposed to booking a room. Have you considered a Disney cruise? Might be fun but I would guess airfare at that time would be astronomical.

dianne1217 Oct 6th, 2011 07:43 AM

Bowspirit: i dont understand what you mean by "reserve a unit". are you referring to the homes that are 2 miles away from the resort? I was told by the hotel reservations dept that if you stay on property, you must purchase their meal plan. I think disney cruise would be a great idea incidentally. I have heard good things about the disney magic one. I only wish there was one leaving from NYC at that time but there is not. I should mention we have never cruised before and my husband is not so keen on cruises.

Bowsprit Oct 6th, 2011 12:49 PM

The homes are still part of the resort and you're able to use all the facilities of the resort. You can always give them a call and see what options they have available for your dates. Good luck with everything.