hole-in-the-wall places to eat in San Diego

Jun 5th, 2000, 05:41 PM
drina

hole-in-the-wall places to eat in San Diego

Hi. I'll be visiting San Diego soon and would love any recommendations for good eats. I'm open to any kind of food but would prefer to hear about the little *treasures* that not everyone knows about. So please all you locals and people familiar with San Diego help me out. Any and all comments are much appreciated.

Jun 5th, 2000, 06:17 PM
Paul

Number one on my list is Point Loma Seafoods (in Point Loma). This is basically a fish market that serves food. The fish sandwich, the crab sandwich and ceviche are some of my favorites. Its about as local as you can get. In La Jolla, try the outside upstairs dining at "Georges at the Cove". And if you really want a local spot, give El Ranchero mexican restaurant on La Jolla Blvd a try.

Jun 6th, 2000, 08:31 AM
Terry

We love Rockin Baja Lobster Bar & Grill in either the Bonita or Old Town area of San Diego. A must when we are in SD. They have various baja buckets with any of the following: carne asada (my favorite), chicken, crab legs, shrimp, and petite lobster tails all marinated, seasoned and grilled. Buckets for 2 persons start at about $25/bucket, I think they have buckets for 1. They have other items too, but love the bucket so much we've never tried them. Margaritas are good too. The Bonita store is less crowded then the Old Towne store.

Jun 6th, 2000, 08:38 AM
Emily

If you're in La Jolla one morning, try John's Waffle Shop on Girard for breakfast. It's an unprentious little place that's been there since before I was born (yeah, a long time ago) and is very popular with the locals. The waffles, obviously, are very good.

Jun 6th, 2000, 08:44 AM
darlene

A must for hamburger lovers is HODADS on Newport Ave. in Ocean Beach. They are hugh and one won't walk away hungry after eating one. Continue down on Newport towards the pier and the bar on the left side of the street (name escapes me now) next to the alley has the best fish tacos and fried calamari. Ask for extra white sauce for both. After all the eating take a walk on the pier and watch the sunset, surfers, and people. If you go on Tuesdays stroll the farmer's market on Newport Ave.

Jun 6th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Terry

Ditto for Point Loma Seafoods! Can get VERY crowded especially during peak meal time.

Jun 6th, 2000, 09:36 AM

For a real hole in the wall and delicious place...try Ranchos mexican food on Sunset Cliffs Blv. in Pt. Loma/Ocean Beach. It's just south of Newport Blv. It has healthy but yummy vegetarian selections and fresh fish and meat too. The guac is awesome and it is so cute, run by a family and has a little outdoor courtyard area with tons of flowers. It's small, but everybody waits to get in. It's worth it! Wait to get a table outside for sure.

Jun 6th, 2000, 01:45 PM
jct

We usually stay at Humphery's on Shelter Island when in San Diego. There is a little place up the street that we like to eat at called Red Sails Inn. It's an old fishing/boat theme restaurant next to the boat yards. You can sit out on a small deck and watch the boats or eat inside by the fireplace. I've never seen it really crowded but they always have customers. The food is pretty good seafood, steaks, pasta, etc. If anybody from San Diego's has a different opinion I'd like to know, maybe it's changed? I also second George's in La Jolla.

Jun 6th, 2000, 04:12 PM
drina

Thanks for all of your suggestions. They sound wonderful. Please keep them coming.

Jun 6th, 2000, 05:30 PM
TTodd

Would recommend Croce's -- restaurant and bar in the gaslamp district with great food and jazz in the evenings. We wound up going every night after having a great dinner our first night there. Owned by widow of singer Jim Croce, and has large mural of his likeness on the wall.

Jul 4th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Carlotta

Recommend Mattias Mexican Restaurant in Old Town IF you like GOOD Mexican food. This is not a place for fine dining and drinking margaritas -- just good food.

Aug 21st, 2000, 11:38 AM
Joe

I vote for Cuatro (sp?) Milpas in barrio Logan. Take I-5 south, take crosby exit (just before Coronado bridge), then left at stop sign. Look for long lunch lines starting around 11:00am. Authentic mexican with lots of lard. I can only take it once a month.

Aug 22nd, 2000, 03:18 PM
Debbie

I also recommend Red Sails on Shelter Island. We always return as many times as we can whenever we are in San Diego. We enjoy their breakfast the most. The food is good basic fair, omelets, pancakes, steak and eggs,etc. Their Bloody Marys are a great start. Try to sit on the deck and watch the boats (yachts) come and go. Hint: there is free parking across the street in the large apartment parking lot. Casual dress and a relaxing atmosphere. Now I want to go back. Hope this helps, enjoy San Diego!!!!

Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:53 PM
Wendy

I lived in SD for 8 years (just moved to NYC to try out east coast life). For a nice dinner, try Fifth & Hawthorn. Service and food are amazing...they may still have a $40 wine dinner (dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine for $40 - includes an appetizer/dessert to share). It's in Banker's Hill on Fifth Ave. and Hawthorn St - of course. Other favorites - Mission Hills Cafe (Washington Street), Sbicca (Del Mar), Kemo Sabe (Fifth and Washington), Adams Avenue Grill (Adams Ave.), Kensington Grill, China Inn (Pacific Beach), Lamont Street Grill, Trattoria Acqua (Prospect St. in La Jolla), California Cuisine (University in Hillcrest). Have a great time!

Oct 4th, 2000, 10:51 AM
deb

Everything Wendy said!!!! Also George's in La Jolla... And if you are looking for some incredible Mexican food and a LITERAL hole-in-the-wall, go to Mexican Fiesta on India between Ash and Beech. BEST Carne Asada burrito you will ever taste. It is to die for!

Oct 4th, 2000, 10:53 AM
deb

Oh shoot- and I forgot about this one (how, I DON'T know...). Almost everyone in San Diego knows and loves Bronx Pizza on Washington St. in Mission Hills. It is definitely a must-see, although it is New York pizza and not SoCal at all. That is the point and it has been embraced whole-heartedly. A great place to grab a slice- and at $2 a pop, what a deal...