Ft. Lauderdale or Miami for "baby-boomer" couple

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are early/mid-fifties. He will be in Miramar on business for a few days and then we will spend just a couple of nights on our own before returning home- I am choosing between Ft. Lauderdale or Miami- maybe South Beach.
Any advice on choosing? We like fine food, but are not too interested in upscale shopping, other than perhaps a nice art gallery. And we enjoy nice restaurants, bars, hotels- but we're not looking to go "clubbing". I have no problem sitting by a nicely landscaped pool with a book.
I am at the verge of reserving the Pillars hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, but I am afraid of "missing something" if I don't take the opportunity to visit Miami while we are in the area. If ultimately decide to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, is it worth it to drive down from Miramar earlier in the week (after he finishes work), for just an evening to have dinner in South Beach? Or any other ideas on how to get a taste, without actually staying in Miami, which might be too much "action" for us. I don't have a real idea of what the areas are like and maybe I am just totally offbase. We're going in a few weeks and I haven't really done any research yet; my husband's employer has a habit of canceling/changing plans at the last minute so I seldom travel with him.
Any ideas would be welcome..
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:47 PM

It is totally reasonable to visit Miami for dinner from either Miramar or ft. Lauderdale. Will you be staying in a hotel in Miramar and then transferring to Ft. Lauderdale? Haven't been able to check where the Pillars is, but Las Olas blvd is nice with plenty of choices for dinner. The Riverside hotel is convenient to this area.
For dinner in South Beach Yard Bird is recommended. You could also check out the Gables and Miracle mile for great restaurants and fun window shopping. Have fun!
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:47 AM

I agree with Mabella's recommendation for the Riverside Hotel and Las Olas.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 06:47 AM

Strolling South Beach as the night clubs are open is a spectacle you shouldn't miss. Can be done commuting from FLL, but you'll be staying after usual dining hours to get the full effect.

Las Olas is sidewalk cafes, art galleries and many others just like yourself. Very pleasant.

South Beach hotels and Miami Beach are very nice, but probably a bit more expensive than Lauderdale. I wouldn't change hotels from one night to the next.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
he Riverside can be fun especially if you dine out along the sidewalk. But with a car you could also go somwwehere such as JMarks which has good food although the location along Fed Hwy can be off-putting; even the Cap Grill despite its being "in a Galleria" all depends on your feelings. The Atlantic Hotel out at the beach is another possibility although the restaurant at the Marriott Harbor beach bgets much better reviews.

Lots depends on your desired ambience; I know folks who find the diningf scene down in Coconut Grove more interesting than the whole South Beach thing. You've got lots of possibilities for sure
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I will start researching and see what looks good. We will have a car, so driving, within reason, is not a problem. For dining, ambiance is very important, but we live outside of Philly which has some very nice restaurants, so don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of taste. I do like al fresco dining on the beach so that might be a great option.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

To add, we will be staying in Miramar for the first few nights and then will transfer, most likely to Ft. Lauderdale, for the final two.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 04:44 PM

FYI if you want a night out while in Miramar, check out Pembroke Gardens, corner of I75 and Pines/Hollywood Blvd. Window shopping, chain restaurant fare like Brio Tuscan Grill. Better than Miramar!!

For a nice place on the beach in FtL. Harbour Beach Mariott
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

I plan on making reservations at the Yardbird for dinner on Wednesday. We will drive down from Miramar after my husband finishes work. Probably will make the reservations for 8pm. Can anyone tell me what the traffic is usally like? Busiest roads, usual rush hour, when and where we definitely don't want to be driving. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Miramar is basically nothing. Where in Miramar are you staying? Hotel row?

I second as above. Pembroke Gardens is right beside Miramar. Brio, Cheesecake Factory (unfortunately one of my favorites - Stir Crazy just recently closed) and window shopping.

It's an outdoor street-type mall so heat and rain could be an issue.

For the time in Ft Lauderdale or Miami are you interested in the beach? If so, the Riverside isn't on the beach. It's on Las Olas.

If you'll be here in a couple of weeks we're talking rainy season. It's doesn't rain all day but usually somewhere everyday and mostly in the middle of the day.

The best would be to do your beaching early before it heats up too much and the clouds form and dump on you. Then do some indoor stuff in the middle and then back to outdoor for the evening.

I live a half hour from the ocean. We just got back from fireworks and it was a beautiful evening.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, that will help me plan. I love summer evenings so will figure out what to do during the daytime rain. In Miramar we will be staying on Hotel row. My husband's company is paying, so no choice in that. Are there any independent restaurants that might be good?
In Ft. Lauderdale I booked the Pillars hotel, on the Intercoastal waterway and a couple of blocks from the ocean, for Thursday and Friday nights. We will try to get a reservation at their private restaurant.
As to the beach, I will walk on the beach but not one to lay out all day (burn don't tan). We own a place at the Jersey shore, so we are at the beach a fair amount (yes, believe me I know that a jersey beach is not a Florida beach )