Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Historical trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/historical-trip-213931/)

Barb May 5th, 2002 06:46 AM

Historical trip

My husband and I are planning a vacation the first two weeks in Oct. We want to see some of the civil war routes in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South and North Carolina. My husband loves the civil war era. I love the plantations. I would appreciate any ideas of great places to see and must do items. Is there any great Christmas shops along the way also.? Thanks for any and all help you can give me in helping plan our trip.

Paul Rabe May 5th, 2002 10:58 AM

A book you MUST buy if you're traveling to see Civil War sites: Alice Cromie's _Tour Guide to the Civil War_. Gives historical background on each site, state by state, and then tells where you can see something related to it.<BR><BR>Good tip: if it's part of the National Parks Service, it's worth a stop.

atlanta May 6th, 2002 01:12 PM

Go to the Cyclorama in Atlanta (really cool civil war museum/ride. Martin Luther King's home is really neat too. you can also visit "tara", the house from Gone with the wind.<BR><BR>http://ngeorgia.com/site/cyclorama.html<BR>http://www.webguide.com/gwtw.html<BR>http://www.webguide.com/listing.html

Phil Dowding May 10th, 2002 10:34 AM

Barb<BR><BR>Selma Alabama is worth a visit if any where near your route. Site of minor battle. Great history in the town, Civil War buildings, cemetary etc to visit. God museum plus Civil Rights history as well. Oh! don't miss the St James Historical Hotel, great eating!<BR>Look Selma up on the web see what you think.<BR><BR>Old fort near Montgomery is not worth the trip.<BR>Phil<BR><BR>Phil

Phil Dowding May 10th, 2002 10:36 AM

OOps. Good museum!!!

Karen May 28th, 2002 06:44 AM

My dad is a civil war buff too. We really enjoyed Vicksburg, Missippi and Andersonville, Georgia. I am quite certain you could find a Christmas shop in Vicksburg--don't miss the tours of the homes there. Andersonville, GA--a civil war prison--was great, very moving. Hope this helps.

dan woodlief May 28th, 2002 07:39 AM

Part I<BR><BR>I a lot more familiar with South Carolina and farther north, so I can help some with the Carolinas and a bit with Georgia. <BR><BR>In North Carolina, there are several sites, but not a lot of major battles were fought here. Ft. Fisher, just outside of Wilmington was the site of a major amphibious assault, and it is fairly interesting for a visit. <BR><BR>General Johnston surrendered at Bennett Place in Durham (the last major army to surrender), but there really isn't much to see there now. <BR><BR>You could visit the battlefield at Bentonville (the last major battle), but I don't think it compares to some other battle sites in things to see. <BR><BR>Ft. Macon, around Atlantic Beach, is a very popular place to visit. It is a well-preserved fort taken over by the Union early in the war. <BR><BR>In Kinston, you can see the hull of the C.S.S. Neuse ironclad. <BR><BR>My favorite Civil War spot in North Carolina is the Civil War exhibit at the NC Museum of History. It contains a fairly sizeable number of items and does a great job of explaining the NC experience leading up to and during the war. North Carolina was one of those states that was not so gung ho at first because of a relative paucity of slave holding, but over 40,000 North Carolinians died in the war.<BR>

dan woodlief May 28th, 2002 07:41 AM

Part II<BR><BR>South Carolina - Charleston is a must. I have not yet taken one of the Civil War walking tours offered there, but it is on my list for next time. <BR><BR>It was in Charleston that the Ordinance of Secession was drafted, although the building no longer exists. <BR><BR>Not a lot remains of Ft. Sumter, but it is worth the trip, and the boat ride is nice. You can also visit Ft. Moultrie. It was from here that Anderson moved his men to Sumter before the historic first shot was fired. Ft. Moultrie was important in the assault and was also the site of an important British defeat in the Revolution. <BR><BR>Battery Wagner, is where the 54th Mass. (remember the movie "Glory") found its greatest fame. I have not made it over there yet (I don't think there is much to see now). <BR><BR>The Charleston Museum provides a good look at plantation life, but the Civil War exhibits are currently under construction (I was there two weeks ago). <BR><BR>You should also visit the Hunley submarine, which is being preserved and examined at the old navy shipyards. Currently, tours are only offered on weekends. I know they are planning special events (for example, some of the bodies may be buried this fall), so keep an eye out (www.hunley.org). <BR><BR>Magnolia Cemetery has the graves of two Hunley vets and other Confederates, but I haven't visited there yet. <BR><BR>There are four plantations worth a visit, but they may not compare to others you may see in the deeper South. Drayton Hall was the only Ashley River plantation house not burned to the ground by Sherman's troops. It is preserved but is not furnished. Another good one for the Civil War is Boone Hall, which has a row of slave cabins and the famous oak-lined drive from the mini-series "North and South." There is less in general to do at Boone Hall, however, compared to other area plantations. <BR><BR>The Aiken-Rhett House has rare urban slave quarters that may be toured. <BR><BR>Charleston also offers popular tours concerning slavery and the African-American experience.<BR><BR>You will also enjoy the shopping in Charleston. The old City Market (also known as the Slaves Market - slaves used to sell wares there) is very popular, and there are Christmas-type shops nearby.<BR><BR>I haven't been to Georgia for many many years, but Savannah has Ft. Pulaski, the site of a major Union assault. It is well-preserved and worth a visit, as would be the city of Savannah itself. I would definitely visit Chickamauga and Chattanooga. Chickamauga was the site of one of the Civil War's deadliest battles.<BR>

Barb Jun 15th, 2002 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the info. This will give us alot of ideas of places to visit. Can't wait to get started

Susan Jun 15th, 2002 08:53 AM

If you're at all interested in Civil War reenactments, do a search on the web. Maybe you can schedule one into your trip.<BR><BR>I just finished Elmore Leonard's latest novel, Tishomingo Blues, which uses a reenactment as a setting for the characters. Anyone who like Leonard should pick it up.

Byrd Jul 16th, 2002 11:50 AM

Barb- If you love antebellum homes, please go to Natchez. I think some are open year-round, but there is a fall pilgrimage, I think in October, which is great.<BR>

Elfie Jul 16th, 2002 12:03 PM

Barb, since you're going thru Alabama and Miss., why not take a quick detour and check out some of the really splendid plantations along the Mississippi River in Louisiana. Particularly remarkable is Nottoway Plantation. It's perfectly preserved, rooms are filled with period furniture and the guided tours are informative. Many of the original outbuildings still stand (except, unfortunately, for the slave quarters who the guides weirdly refer to as "field workers"). Nottoway has appeared in many movies, it's that beautiful. And, there's a Union mini ball (think that's what it's called, about the size of a superball) still embedded in one of the front pillars. Apparently, the Union troops advancing were going to fire on it and try to destroy it. However the commander of their regiment had once been a guest of the owner there, so he stopped them and they used it as their temporary quarters. Really interesting place.

jj Jul 30th, 2002 02:14 PM

I'm also a civil war buff and also doing a tour in the first 2 weeks in Oct.I've visited all the sights of the major battles over the last ten years and this is the last one.Try Brices Cross roads in Miss as it is just the way it was then.Shiloh is a must.We will be heading down the Natchez parkway<BR>to Natchez and then swing up to Andersonvile then back to Atlanta.Suggest you read something on Bedford Forrest as he fought in Alabama and Miss.Also Helena ark just over the river is a neat place with a battlefield and two generals buried there.If we run into you along the way Ill know its you carrying the Xmas bag

Serena Jul 31st, 2002 04:59 AM

Andersonville, Georgia is a must see for a Civil War Buff. On your way there, stop in Macon, Georgia and visit The Hay House. Macon is a lovely city with many old homes. Another beautiful town is Madison, Georgia. It has been said that Sherman did not burn Madison because of his fondness for a Southern Belle, who lived there. There is a lovely tour of the old homes of Madison. I think it may take place in October. Macon, Madison, and Andersonville are not to far from one another making it a nice day trip.