Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Historical roadtrip - Eastern seaboard....recommendations?
Notices

Historical roadtrip - Eastern seaboard....recommendations?

Apr 14th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Kevin

Historical roadtrip - Eastern seaboard....recommendations?

We are taking a driving tour of the East coast to visit historical landmarks, especially relating to the Revolutionary War. Does anyone have ideas that are out of the ordinary? We have already researched Boston, Philly, Baltimore & D.C.

Apr 14th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Joy in Virginia

Everyone knows about Williamsburg and Jamestown, but don't forget Yorktown where the actual surrender took place, just a quick drive down from Williamsburg. Cross over the york River Bridge into Gloucester County and down the road to Mathews County to Gwynn's Island - the site of Lord Dunmore's last occupation before he sailed back to England in defeat. There is a small but terrific all-volunteer museum on Gwynn's Island open on weekends in summer, or by reservation. www.qsl.net/w4rzb/gimuse.html
Drive by New Kent County and visit the church where George Washington married Martha Custis. I-64 between Richmond and Williamsburg, look for Talleysville/ Route 106 exit. Head north on 106 for about 5 miles and then bear to the right following the St. Peter's Church signs. The church is still in use by an active congregation today. Go on to richmond and see a reenactment of Patrick Henry's "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech at St. john's Church at the corner of Broad and 25th Streets in Church Hill area. Email me for more info if you are coming this way.

Search this Thread