Reload this Page >

Hip place/area to stay?

Search

Hip place/area to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:15 PM
christa

Hip place/area to stay?

Woohoo, it is girl's weekend. The four of us girls are headed up to DC for the weekend. We are not going to do any sightseeing just shopping, eating and drinking! We are all in our early 30's and love the cool funky artsy stuff. What area should we stay in so that we are surrounded by all of this stuff. We really don't want to hop on the metro, just stay in the area of which ever hotel we pick. Any suggestions for a particularly hip hotel and area?

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Girls Just

We enjoy the Kimpton Hotel Group in San Francisco, they have recently opened 2 new hotels in DC - Hotel Madera & Hotel Helix. Have fun girls!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Tia

Christa:

How about some place in Georgetown? I thought that section of DC was pretty cool. I stayed with a friend, so am not familiar with the hotels. They do have some good places to eat, though!! Have a super girls weekend!! What fun!

Tia

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Warwick

You have to stay in either Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria. Trusted female friends recommend Union St pub in Old Town.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 11:58 AM
zootsi

To me, it sounds like the Dupont Circle Area would fit the bill. Lots of interesting restaurants, clubs, funky shops and galleries. It's an artsy, hip area, near embassy row. Georgetown is another interesting area, but geared more to upscale shopping and tourists.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Mike

I would definately check out the new hotels: Madera, Rouge and Helix. All have hip, happening bars and lounges.

To see how Washingtonians, and not tourists, hang out, you should try the "New U" neighborhood: U Street between 17th and 13th. It is the only part of Washington that really makes you feel like you are in the Village or SoHo in NY.

While the shopping is fine in Old Town, it is otherwise pretty much a yawn.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I second zootsi's recommendation of the Dupont Circle area.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:58 PM
christa

Gosh, thanks for all of the great advice!!!! Well, hotel is booked and we are now making the crucial shoe and outfit selections for packing. And...the girls are almost on the road. We decided to stay right outside of the Georgetown area.
Does anyone have any suggestions for great places to eat? We want to try some funky and cool places, but we are trying to conserve most of the budget for shoe purchases.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Jen

Try Jaleo's a tapas place for food. I think it is near the MCI Center (can't remember). Also the Grill from Impana (sp?) in Adams Morgan. A great place that is more like a loungy bar but has food is Chi Chas in Adams Morgan. A really funky fun place. Last food place, City Lights of China in Dupont Circle - chinese food to die for!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
Marti

In Dupont Circle, try Mimi's restaurant. Wait staff all sings, grand piano, great food. Go late though. Have fun. (Jaleo's too!)