Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hints itinerary for 16 days in California starting in San Francisco (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hints-itinerary-for-16-days-in-california-starting-in-san-francisco-1005240/)

Saldarj Feb 8th, 2014 09:53 AM

Hints itinerary for 16 days in California starting in San Francisco

I appreciate any itinerary suggestion to travel in CA from June 21 st to July 7th 2014, arriving and departing to/from San Francisco. This is a family trip two adults and a 9 years old daugther.

We want to enjoy SF city 5 days, visit Yosmite and Sequoia parks two days . We want to visit Carmel and Monterey two days. One day to visit Napa and Sonoma vineries.

For the remainding days, a week, I am welcoming suggestions. I plan to have a rental car to move outside SF.

Thanks a lot for your advices.

puppykitty2014 Feb 8th, 2014 10:09 AM

Santa Barbara is a beautiful city but it is about 3 1/2 hours from Monterey. It is very coastal and has beautiful Spanish architecture in the downtown. It is much like a European coastal town. Big Sur is also very pretty. It is in between Monterey and Santa Barbara. Somewhere closer to San Francisco that is pretty is Sausalito.

Also, Bodega Bay is a beautiful coastal town near Sonoma. It is very fresh and has a small downtown near it.

janisj Feb 8th, 2014 10:16 AM

>> visit Yosmite and Sequoia parks two days <<

Is that two days EACH or two days all together. If the latter - forget it. 2 days is barely enough time to get to both parks let alone see/do anything in them. If you only have two days - then make it Yosemite -- Sequoia is just too far. However it may be too late to find accommodations.

If you can't get a room in Yosemite Valley - book at Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal and then keep checking for a cancellation in the Valley.

jamie99 Feb 8th, 2014 10:23 AM

Are you planning on driving south all the way to LA, or just driving part of Highway 1?

Saldarj Feb 9th, 2014 04:14 PM

Thanks again for your replies and recommendatios. To clarify a lttle bit since I am not familiar with CA.

1. We plan to stay in SF at least 5 days. no car there.
2. we want to go to Yosemite Park, how many nights you recomend to be there? I understand that Yosemite valley is the place, what hotels you reccomend there?
3 it sounds great Santa Barbara, can we go there after visiting Monterey/Carmel on the same way?. we plan to be two nights in Monterey/carmel or three nights accirding what you
4. The rental car is after visiting SF to go to Yosemite Park, Carmel and other places outside SF. i plan half way, trying to be closer to SF. we don't want to drive a lot.
5. I like to consider bodega Bay into my plan, how can we enjoy the vinaries sighseeings and wine testings, is there any tour that we can buy?

Please advice a good place to stay in Montery or Carmel near the beach.

Thank you for responding to me. Regards

KTtravel Feb 9th, 2014 06:22 PM

Yosemite is well worth seeing but it takes about 4 hours to drive there from San Francisco. I would stay at least two days (more would be nice) not counting your arrival and departure days. The Ahwahnee Lodge is very nice but pricey. The Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is more reasonable and well located. Try to book lodging now as you can cancel without penalty until close to your arrival time.

jamie99 Feb 10th, 2014 10:26 AM

If you skip Napa and Sonoma there are nice wineries in Paso Robles just inland from Cambria and also in the Santa Ynez Valley north of Santa Barbara about 45 min drive. Both will have less expensive tasting fees than Napa.

november_moon Feb 10th, 2014 04:41 PM

1. We plan to stay in SF at least 5 days. no car there.

* Good choice. Definitely rent the car upon leaving SF.

2. we want to go to Yosemite Park, how many nights you recomend to be there? I understand that Yosemite valley is the place, what hotels you reccomend there?

* At least 2 nights if you can manage, 3 would be better. And for hotels - anyplace you can get at this point. Try for Yosemite Lodge or Curry Village in Yosemite Valley. Outside the valley, El Portal is a convenient town, and then on the south end, check the lodgings in the Wawona and Fish Camp areas. Groveland is a decent choice too. Yosemite lodging books up a year in advance, so your choices will be limited.

3 it sounds great Santa Barbara, can we go there after visiting Monterey/Carmel on the same way?. we plan to be two nights in Monterey/carmel or three nights accirding what you

* 2 nights in Monterey at a minimum - 3 nights would be even better - there are a lot of things to see. Santa Barbara would make a nice southern-most stop, although if you drive along Hwy 1 through Big Sur, it will make for a longer day of driving - doable, just longer.

4. The rental car is after visiting SF to go to Yosemite Park, Carmel and other places outside SF. i plan half way, trying to be closer to SF. we don't want to drive a lot.

* "a lot" is a relative term for driving :) SF to Yosemite is about 4 hours, Monterey to Santa Barbara will be 5-6 hours.

5. I like to consider bodega Bay into my plan, how can we enjoy the vinaries sighseeings and wine testings, is there any tour that we can buy?

* I agree, skip Napa and go to Paso Robles and the Santa Ynez valley. Additionally, there is wine tasting in Monterey and Carmel.

Saldarj Feb 15th, 2014 09:11 AM

Thanks a lot for your valuable recommendations, I apprecite very much your time and help, I will take them to adjust my itinerary. I have another question. where can we see the redwoods so we can take advantage of my itinerary (the big trees)?

Thank you

janisj Feb 15th, 2014 09:32 AM

You'll see Giant Redwoods in Yosemite and Coastal Redwoods around Carmel/Big Sur so no detours required.

janisj Feb 15th, 2014 09:33 AM

You'll see Giant Redwoods in Yosemite and Coastal Redwoods around Carmel/Big Sur so no detours required.

janisj Feb 15th, 2014 09:34 AM

janisj Feb 15th, 2014 09:35 AM

sorry - the site seems to have thrown up on itself :)

jamie99 Feb 15th, 2014 10:36 AM

You can also see redwoods in Henry Cowell State Park near Santa Cruz en route to Monterey.