Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hilton Hotels customer relations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hilton-hotels-customer-relations-474250/)

kcapuani Sep 14th, 2004 05:02 PM

Hilton Hotels customer relations?

Has anyone ever sent a complaint letter to Hilton Hotels? I have sent three, all on the same issue and never received a reply. I sent them to the corporate offices in Beverly Hills. One was addressed to the CEO and the other two to the Pres. of Hilton Honors. I cannot believe no one wrote me back. I obviously don't expect an executive to handle my complaint, but at least some assistant could.

Just curious...

djkbooks Sep 14th, 2004 05:10 PM

We experienced a problem at the Hilton NY. I e-mailed via the website. I received a phone call at work within days. When I returned the call, a very nice woman apologized profusely, promised to check into the matter and ensure that it is corrected, then asked "What can I do to make this up to you?"

djkbooks Sep 14th, 2004 05:12 PM

PS I've had terrible experiences with Sheraton. I tried to send a long e-mail message via their website only to get an error page when sending it, whereupon all my text had vanished when I returned to the previous screen. I sent another (short) e-mail to another Sheraton e-mail address. Someone replied that I should try the other one again. I didn't bother.

Patrick Sep 14th, 2004 05:13 PM

I'm just curious, djkbooks, was the person who asked to make it up to you Paris Hilton?

chitowngirl Sep 15th, 2004 05:40 AM

A few years ago we stayed at the Hilton Squaw Peak in Phoenix. We had stayed the year before in a casita, really enjoyed it and made a return trip. We were not able to book a casita, and were placed in a regular, upgraded room (I'm a HHonors member). The second night I was rudily awakened because I heard dripping (about 3 a.m.) Turned on the lights to see that the ceiling was leaking right at the foot of the bed. Trying to make along story short, maintenance had to come 2 times over 24 hours. We were on the top floor and were advised that the leakage was due to the air conditioning unit. After the second call, we asked to be moved and they did not have another non-smoking room available. When we checked in we had a lovely welcome letter from the Guest Relations Manger welcoming us and to please call if he could do anything to make our stay more pleasurable. He was no where to be found while trying to resolve our leak issue. I did write a letter to the General Manager. I never received a response. I consider Hilton to be a good name and was very disappointed in this experience as the hotel didn't seem overly concerned about our inconvenience and that my letter didn't even warrant a letter of apology. We weren't looking for anything, but a simple acknowledgement of the incovenience of beginning our day several hours before we planned and then having to have maintenance come out again due to the same leak. In hindsight, maybe I should have written Paris directly!

lisatravels Sep 16th, 2004 08:21 AM

I had the same experience as djkbooks. I used the online form to mention a problem we'd had with keys during our stay at the Hilton. The next day a Hilton rep left a message on my voice mail apologizing for the problem and leaving her number for me to call to talk about my concerns. I didn't call back as I had basically just wanted an acknowledgement of the problem. I have begun to suspect that hotels respond better to online complaints than snail mail letters. A year ago a colleague and I had a problem at a Marriott. I used the online form to complain & got a timely e-mail telling me I'd get a letter in the mail. Within a week I had a very nice and apologetic letter with an explanation of why the problem occurred and a refund. My colleague thought the company would respond better to a snail mail letter and she never heard anything back. I expect it got lost somewhere along the way.

JoJo1 Sep 17th, 2004 12:09 PM

We recently had a very unhapy stay at the Hampton Inn Riverview in Charleston -- it was the first time I have ever complained to Hilton Honors -- three months later and many many e-mails - we finally got to talk to a real person and got a one-day comp certificate --- I wouldn't give up, because I couldn't believe we were being treated so poorly after having used Hiltons and Hamptons for so many years.....

wsoxrebel Sep 17th, 2004 05:03 PM

Hilton really, really takes care of its frequent customers. If you can ever hit Diamond Level, you see a whole different world. We even have a special phone number and CSR staff to help make anything happen.

kcapuani Sep 17th, 2004 06:13 PM

I tried using the online form and still did not receive a reply. So, I mailed in my husband's Silver Hilton Honors card and stated that we wouldn't need it anymore since we won't be staying with Hilton again. Childish I know but I thought I would hear back this way. Still no reply and it has been three weeks. In all three letters I have sent, I tried stressing how much business my husband could bring the company because he stays in a hotel at least 50 nights a year. Oh well, Hilton's loss I guess. Or Paris's loss - let's hope her singing career takes off :)

tracys2cents Sep 17th, 2004 09:23 PM

Add this line to your correspondence, you'll get much quicker responses:

"If I don't hear from you within the next few days, I plan to post the particulars of my stay on internet review sites including fodors.com, tripadvisor.com and epinions.com"