Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hilton-head-island-and-myrtle-beach-795418/)

Sofie Jul 14th, 2009 05:57 AM

Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach

We are going to do a coastal and mountain holiday end May/June 2010 beginning in Savannah. Which, if either of the two beaches are the best and are they really worth spending time at. I have heard that they are very over crowded and not really worth a visit. Would appreciate your views.

SAnParis2 Jul 14th, 2009 06:13 AM

It totally depends on what you are looking for.. I am not keen on either one & prefer the beaches/islands around Charleston or further up in NC (the Brunswick Islands between Wilmington & MB). What kind of beach experience are you seeking ? The end of May/June will not be as bad, as schools will not yet be out.

montereybob Jul 14th, 2009 09:04 AM

I was in Hilton Head in early June and the beaches were not crowded at all. The water temps weren't that warm yet. The lifeguard told me that the water doesn't get really warm until July and that that's when all the crowds start to come.

sf7307 Jul 14th, 2009 09:06 AM

I am curious - are there "sandy" beaches anywhere in Hilton Head? Myrtle Beach? We were very surprised by the hard-pack nature of the beaches where we were in Hilton Head - great for walking and biking, I guess, but not what we expected, and not what I really like (prefer soft, deep sand)

Brian_in_Charlotte Jul 14th, 2009 09:16 AM

Myrtle Beach is a bit "sandier", but none of the NC or SC beaches are going to have "soft, deep sand" like you'll find along the Gulf Coast or south Florida.

SAnParis2 Jul 14th, 2009 09:30 AM

In response to Montereybob & water temps. Acceptable water temps are really 'in the eye of the beholder' in my opinion. We are almost always in the water in May, @ the NC beaches (if not earlier). We usually steer clear of the beaches in the Summer (particularly July & August) as we don't care for 'bathwater' type temps. Many people, however, apparently do. In my opinion, October IS the very best time to be at the beaches in the Carolinas.

stumpworks73 Jul 14th, 2009 10:18 AM

One consideration is that if you are starting in Savannah, Hilton Head is a one hour drive, while MB is at least a four hour drive away from the mountains.

Hilton Head has generous beaches to extensive beach at low tide. Water temps in the summer months are very comfortable.

HHI has fine restaurants, good hotels and condos, and many other activities including biking, kayaking, and nature cruises. This site has many threads on Hilton Head advise.

Myrtle is a larger resort and traditionally a family destination. You will encounter bigger crowds and longer drives around the city.

If it were me, I'd go to Hilton Head, then you'll be in the mountains four hours up I-26.

Gretchen Jul 14th, 2009 10:21 AM

MB is a vast overcrowded traffic jam. Hilton Head is a vast sterile piece of SC carved out by developers. If you are a golfer, you might like it but SanParis said it all. For prettier beaches and a less crowded area do one of the beaches in between.
Much of the harder pack of some beaches is due to the need for renourishment. But the slope of the beaches makes them wide and pleasant.

Sofie Jul 15th, 2009 05:50 AM

Very interesting - thank you all. I think I will give both beaches a miss. Where would you recommend for nice beaches. Should we fly to Savannah and do Beaufort and Charleston and then go inwards to the mountains or fly to Charlotte do the mountains etc and then make our way down to Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah. I really don't know what to do. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2 week holiday.

SAnParis2 Jul 15th, 2009 06:16 AM

Depending on where you are coming from it may be much easier (ie. fewer connections) to fly into CLT. Many of the flights going to the coast will connect there anyway. If you must go to Savannah, then I would suggest Amelia Island. We visit there frequently from CLT & it is about 6 hours, & only about 2 hours from Savannah. If that is too far (to drive), I'd opt for Kiawah or Seabrook Island(s) outside of Charleston. I use vrbo.com a lot for all those locations as well as the Carolina Mts. As far as the Mts. go, I am partial to Black Mt. whioh puts you in close proximity to Asheville, the Parkway, Montreat and even Chimney Rock. Depending on when you actually go, you may be required to book a place at the Beach for a week as you are approaching 'in season'. Of course the cost may be greater as you enter June as well, esp. at the Beach. Many posts on here search - Asheville, Amelia Island, Charleston & Savannah, & you will likely be over-whelmed w/information.

Brian_in_Charlotte Jul 15th, 2009 11:49 AM

Hard to make recommendations without knowing what you consider "nice beaches".

tmanmb Aug 24th, 2009 05:20 PM

I just recently took a trip down to Myrtle Beach and ABSOLUTELY loved it. May/June would be a great time to go because it is usually only crowded around August. I booked through a vacation rental company called, Booe Realty. They were amazing. They have a wide variety of accomadations to choose from, as well as clean rooms and great prices! Also the beaches were perfect.(clean, etc.) I hope you choose to go.

tmanmb Aug 24th, 2009 05:27 PM

oh yeah, there website is, www.booerealty.com

Gretchen Aug 26th, 2009 04:23 AM

Gee, that couldn't possibly be an advertisement could it!!
SanParis has some good ideas. I would go to Charlotte, drive to the mountains, then Charleston and look for a beach property near there--Wild Dunes, etc. Or go up the coast an hour or so to Litchfield/Pawley's area. The beaches at Litchfield are NOT crowded, even in mid-summer.

tmanmb Sep 2nd, 2009 05:12 PM

Gee, well i don't know! Don't you have anything better to do with your time??

Gretchen Sep 2nd, 2009 05:26 PM

Touchy touchy. Hit a nerve, advertiser? LOL