Hilton Hawaiian Village Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking my first trip to Hawaii at Thanksgiving this year and I've learned a lot about what to expect from reading this board. I have some specific questions that I wanted to ask the experts and folks who have been to Hawaii many times, so I hope you will indulge me.

1) Has anyone ever stayed in an Ali'i Tower Garden View room; what was your experience? Is the Ali'i Tower and it's amenities worth the extra money?

2) I've read that the HHV charges outrageous prices for chair and umbrella rentals on the beach. Is it acceptable to purchase chairs and umbrellas and bring them on the beach at the Hilton rather than paying their exorbitant prices daily for rental?

3) We are not renting a car since relaxation is the main purpose of this trip, but if we do decide to take in a couple of sights, is taxi or bus transportation easily accessible outside the hotel?

4) Is there a good selection of restaurants within walking distance outside the HHV? I know they have a lot of restaurants within HHV, but I was hoping to sample some of the local flavor and not pay an arm and leg to eat each meal.

4) What is the best shop for souvenirs?

5) Finally, any tips on Honolulu in general that anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:12 PM

I've stayed in a garden room at Ali'i Tower and found it to be really lovely. There was a parrot down in the garden that said "Lo Hah" quite a bit but you got used to hearing it. The good news is, it didn't talk at night because they cover the bird's cage!
I can't answer your question about buying your own beach chairs.
As far as transport, there is a sight seeing trolley that, if I remember correctly, pulls into the HHV on its route.
You are within an easy walk to the main shopping street of Waikiki and will find many restaurants that are reasonable. The food at HHV is very good so make sure you try at least SOME of it.
I'd shop for souvenirs at Hilo Hatties. You can catch a shuttle there. It's an interesting store with all sorts of Hawaiian stuff. Kona coffee is some of the best in the world, in my opinion.
Don't miss the Pearl Harbor tour and I'd also go to Hana'uma Bay to do some snorkeling. You might want to reconsider the idea of a car. It's a great day trip to rent one (an open jeep) and drive around the island and see the lovely north shore area.
I'm on my way to the Ali'i Tower "part ocean view" room for a week in August. I'll have to see if I like it better than garden view.
The one thing I really like about the Ali'i Tower is the private pool that only Ali'i guests can use. You'll find breakfast (for a cost...can't remember how much) and also afternoon snacks there. Service is great at Ali'i. I had a problem with my pillow once, and when I returned to my room many hours later, there must have been 10 more pillows for me to pick from!!!
Have a great time at HHV.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:20 PM

It is not just HHV that charges these prices most of the hotels do. You can bring your own equipment. It is just a hassle traveling with, sometimes we just leave it in the room for someone ele to use. I've got to admit, I think the umbrellas are worth it on some days. They are weighted and substantial if it gets windy. HH is great, but ABC is cheaper. You will see them everywhere.
There is a local bus. You will have a great time! Envy you...
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Hi! We will be making our 3rd return trip to Hawaii over Thanksgiving too! We love the HHV, it is where we stay.

We have never stayed in the Ali'i Tower, but my opinion is that the extra's aren't worth it. We love the main lagoon pool, so the draw of a "private" pool does not interest us.

I agree about the cost of the chairs, but what the hey it's Hawaii!! Applejaxs was right on the money that if you don't want to fork out the bucks go to the ABC stores buy what you want and leave it behind.

On our first trip we did not rent a car and relied on the buses. Cheap but really cuts into time. They are city buses that make every stop. If you plan to concentrate on the Waikiki area you can get around on foot. Plenty of restaurants to choose from. Only downfall from renting a car is that HHV charges a daily parking fee. It's been about 4 years since our last trip, but I seem to recall it was around $8-10 a day.

The two things that are musts for us are Mai Tais at the Mai Tai bar at the Royal Hawaiian (generally as soon we arrive!) and a trip to Hana'uma Bay.

Whatever you do you will have a fab time!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:18 PM

The new Italian place there is awesome. And the NY deli is good too. I like the huge Chelsea veggie sandwich.

You can walk to Kobe steakhouse, California Pizza Kitchen and others. The the bus and taxis are right there too.