Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hilton Hawaiian Village or Marriott Ihilani? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hilton-hawaiian-village-or-marriott-ihilani-317417/)

JoanneC May 15th, 2003 05:03 PM

Hilton Hawaiian Village or Marriott Ihilani?

Hello - we are staying in Oahu in Nov and trying to find a reasonably priced 1 BR suite. So far the best I've found are the Hilton Hawaiian Village 1 BR in their Lagoon tower or a 1 BR Ko Olina room at the Marriott Ihilani Resort. Does anyone have any idea how these 2 compare? How are the locations? Thank you in advance for your help and recommendations!

stevecat May 15th, 2003 05:36 PM

The Hilton is in Waikiki, which is only a few miles away from Honolulu. You don't have to have a rental car here, as bus and taxi service is everywhere, you can walk outside and find lots of places to eat, shop, etc. Atmosphere is crowded though.

The Ihilani is further away in Kapolei, and 25 miles from Honolulu. No other hotels are in this particular area, it's mostly all residential and heavy industrial near the harbor. If you plan on commuting (a rental car is a must) to town, you'll be battling traffic with the residents; expect a one hour commute to town at minimum in the morning and in the afternoon returning. If you travel in the opposite direction (north/central Oahu), you'll find Ko Olina to be a pretty nice base though.

I wouldn't recommend Ko Olina for a first time visitor, as I have mentioned, it's too far away with heavy heavy traffic getting into Honolulu (which I'm sure you'll want to be visiting often). For someone who's already been to Oahu and saw everything in town, then Ko Olina is a nice breath of fresh air. If you're staying for at least a week, you could try breaking up your stay with Waikiki for a few days then Ko olina for the remainder.

Postal May 15th, 2003 05:38 PM

The two locations couldn't be more different! Hilton Hawaiian Village is on the Honolulu side of Waikiki (as opposed to the Diamond Head side), which is basically tourist central. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just where all the stores and restaurants, etc. are, including Ala Moana Mall about five minutes away.

Ihilani is about 30 miles west of Waikiki, in a mostly residential area with few or no other tourists around. It's the place for total relaxation.

Ihilani is supposed to be gorgeous but it's not the place for me - I prefer that active city life around Waikiki.

islandmom May 16th, 2003 01:17 PM

I love Ko'olina - but it is quiet and away.

nllentine May 19th, 2003 10:24 AM

I like the idea of quieter and more remote.....we are going there in June...did anyone play golf at the golf course at Ihilani?? USe the Spa?? I hear the spa is really nice. Would you recommend any of the spa treatments?? I can't wait!!!

islandmom May 19th, 2003 01:17 PM

The golf course is beautiful with black swans and waterfalls. I'm not good enough to get past a driving range though. If they have a lave rock massage those are great. It's so new I haven't stayed over there yet.

islandmom May 19th, 2003 01:17 PM

Lava - lol

nancyl May 21st, 2003 10:15 AM

We are staying at the Ihilani villa(really hotel room with small kitchen??)....or we can have hotel room in JW Marriott....which is nicer? To stay in hotel with amenities or in villa area??

Sargent May 21st, 2003 11:49 AM

I stayed at the Ihilani when it was owned by JAL so I am not sure if it is the same now as it was when I went. When I went it was an incredible hotel. It was set about 20 minutes from downtown Honolulu which was nice. The beach was beautiful, our room was huge, and the food was great (if not a little over priced). I do not know much about the Hilton other than it is huge. What I have been told though, is that if you are looking for the best rooms at that hotel you should stay in the Ali (I think that is how it is spelled) Tower. It is the most luxurious and also exclusive from the rest of the resort.

stacey May 25th, 2003 08:48 AM

My sister and I just returned from Oahu and found most of our week was spent at the Ihilani Resort. It is wonderful there... getting sun was the best ever there since there was a constant low wind at all times. It was 85, but felt like 70-75. There are 4 lagoons there and it is just breath taking. We were staying up the road (west) in Makaha at the Hawaiian Princess Resort. We liked Waikiki, but it is HUGE and we like the more layed back feeling like Maui & Ko' Olina.