Short trip report/Ideas- Was. D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are just some general points of interest I discovered/learned while recently visiting Washington D.C. 12/9-15/04:

1. Used Reagan National airport - very easy to access.

2. Stayed in Crystal City (Hyatt) ((Bid on priceline $50 night/7 nights/parking $20 per night)). Very close to Reagan National. Hyatt runs their own shuttle buses from the hotel to the airport and to Crystal City Metro station every 1/2 hr. (5:30a-midnight). Very easy access to downtown (D.C.) via Metro. Metro fare $1.45 per ride.

3. No weekend public transportation to Annapolis (Metro runs to New Carrollton) MD. bus runs weekdays only to Annapolis from New Carrollton Metro sta.

3. The wind blows pretty good around the Mall area. Scarf around the neck to keep the cold air out is good!

4. The pumpkin soup at the food court in the Indian Museum is "wonderful".

5. Union Station - downstairs, food court has lots of variety, and there are movie theathers there also.

6. The Postal Museum across the street from Union Station is really interesting and very "kid" friendly.

7. Metro - no food or drink allowed on Metro. Very clean and safe.

8. Part of the Air and Space Museum: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center @ Chantilly Virginia has the "Enola Gay" on display.(take Smithonian bus to and from @ $7.00 R/T)

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Thanks for sharing this! I may be visiting DC next summer and appreciate the information. A question about your hotel area--were there inexpensive places to eat at around the Hyatt in Crystal City (breakfast, for example)? If so, were these places easy to walk to or did you need to take the metro? Thanks!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 03:23 AM

There are literally dozens of hotels in DC thta are more convenient to the Metro than the Hyatt in Crystal City, that don't require a shuttle to get from the Metro to the hotel. If you're bidding on Priceline, you'll be handier to the Metro if you bid on the Convention Center area; all of the 3* PL hotels in this area are very handy to Metro and plenty of restaurants. Do a search of these boards for economical hotels and insights into PL.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:09 AM

Anonymous is right, you can do a lot better than that.

I've got the Hyatt in Rossyln (1 block to the metro) for $45 per night (also in September). Parking was definitely less than $20 a night (can't remember exact amount), and free on weekends. But I don't know why anyone would need parking when flying into National.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

The above posters are correct. There are other places more centrally located, and have attractive priceline history.

I chose the area (National Airport/Crystal City) becasue it was close to a venue((Birchmere)) I wanted to attend.

Again, just passing along info...not recommendations.

Ann41...I rented a car for 2 days to go to Annapolis and Philadelpia, therefore parking in the hotel garage.

But that is the nice part of the good public transportation system in D.C. is that you don't need a car.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 01:45 PM

If you're coming during the summer, remember that it is both hot an humid. (Don't know if it's true, but my father said that the Brits in their embassy used to get the equivalent of weather combat pay for DC postings!) Cheap trick I use: since there are NO inexpensive places to eat on the Mall, I pack my lunch in a small cooler. Museums don't allow packs in, so you leave them at the (free) coat checks. When you're ready to eat, pick up cooler, go out on to the mall, and eat! If I'm in the Nat. Gal. of Art, I'll "splurge", but a soda from them, and eat the lunch that I brought near the "fountain." (Not really a fountain, but you'll know what I mean when you see it.)
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 02:01 PM
LN

Happy to hear how great your trip went. Sorry there's no transportation from DC to Annapolis.

two questions - if I may

What did you see at Birchmere ?

How did you like my little city Annapolis?

Actually I'm happy to hear that you saw a lot and got out to the Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian cause alas, I haven't gotten there yet!!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

LN...my visit to D.C. was wonderful!

I am a huge "Suzy Bogguss" fan. She did her Christmas show at the Birchmere (usually every year around the 10th of Dec.)

Loved your "little" city of Annapolis. Being a prior sailor (US NAVY) Visiting Annapolis was a great treat ((they all looked so young!! Hee Hee))
((Also Suzy Bogguss was doing 2 shows at the Ramshead!!))