Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hiking 'the wave' (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hiking-the-wave-1132304/)

njs Sep 24th, 2016 05:36 PM

Hiking 'the wave'

Hi
We (4) were planning to hike the wave during our trip to Las Vegas area.
Assuming we will the online lottery in our next several tries, is it a bad idea to take 2 children (10,11)with us for this hike?

We will not do this hike during June,July,August,nov,dec,Jan,feb.
We were planning to try the lottery during March, April, May, sept, oct.

What do you think? Doable or too much?
Thanks
Njs

nytraveler Sep 25th, 2016 04:12 AM

How much hiking have the kids done?

Dayle Sep 25th, 2016 06:06 AM

The road out to the trailhead is a graded gravel road. Are you OK with possibly voiding your rental car coverage by going off pavement?

How much experience do you have with GPS navigation? People frequently get lost on the return trip from the wave.

Just because this is the hike you have heard of and seen pictures off, doesnt mean its the only great and scenic hike out there. There are many that might be better suited for your family.

You do know its not very close to LV, right?

db6040 Sep 25th, 2016 07:38 AM

Make sure you have a fall back plan. The odds of winning the online lottery are very, very slim. Also, keep in mind that Septmeber and May and even October and April can be quite hot and if you do some how luckily win permits, take adequate water.

MidwestHiker Sep 25th, 2016 07:44 AM

I would avoid May and September due to the heat as well. If your family is not familiar with desert hiking, do some other hikes in the area first to gauge their fitness and ability to handle the heat and terrain.

janisj Sep 25th, 2016 07:57 AM

Random thoughts:

• May and Sept are too hot - you'd want early Spring.

• As Dayle says -- most (just about all) rental contracts forbid driving off pavement. So it may not even be possible.

• >>How much hiking have the kids done?<< . . . <i>Real</i> hiking, not just long walks, but strenuous hikes.

• There are so many other terrific hikes in the region w/o having to 1) drive dirt roads, and 2) win the lottery.

njs Sep 25th, 2016 10:11 AM

I will have to figure something out about the rental car/van. What do most visitors do?

About experience, we have hiked a few mile round trip hikes during our trips to Canadian Rockies, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone.

This certainly will be much more challenging for the kids. Maybe I should wait for a few more years. Though I am not sure they would want to come with us then.

Also I have zero experience with gps. Will have to train myself.

:-)

MidwestHiker Sep 25th, 2016 10:34 AM

Most visitors drive carefully and don't stress about the dirt road aspect of the rental car contract. The only way it comes into play is if you break down or damage the vehicle, and either scenario is unlikely if you are a reasonably good driver.

Dayle Sep 25th, 2016 04:03 PM

Njs,

If you have only hiked a mile round trip, then this is not the hike for you. I would suggest trying some other hikes in the area that are longer and building up to say a 5 mile hike. See how you all do.

The trail out to the Wave is not a defined trail. Coming back people have problems because the landmarks appear so different. I have not gone yet myself because I know I am not prepared.

You might look in to doing some guided hiking. There are a couple of good canyoneering guides in the area. A day with guide could be a fabulous and safe adventure for you all. Plus it would give you some more experience and a chance to learn navigation skills.

MidwestHiker Sep 25th, 2016 04:09 PM

I think njs is saying he/she has done hikes of a few miles, not a few one mile hikes.

njs Sep 25th, 2016 04:14 PM

I meant that we have done a few hikes from 1-5 miles round trip with less than 200 feet gain in elevation. But the conditions were around 70 degrees. I am a runner so it does not bother me. But the Wave trail will definitely test the kids.

RVvagabond Sep 25th, 2016 09:03 PM

I've been there twice.

There are about 100 people daily hoping for one of 10 permits = ten people. They travel from Sweden to China (including Saudi Arabia) to see the Wave. Last May I won my 3rd permit, but gave it back to some other person as I had other hiking plans.

Don't worry about the trail back/forth. Very little elevation change except the last fifty yards are up a nasty sandy hill. IF you win, you are given an >> excellent << guide with photograph landmarks and GPS. NOTE: There is no trail as it is: 1) Mostly on sandstone; 2) Wilderness area where signs/cairns are not allowed.

People have died on this trail due to lack of water or just lost. One way distance is 3 miles.

Road to Wire Pass trailhead (to the Wave). It is rarely graded (I don't ever recall it being graded, BUT I've seen many vehicles drive that road with cars having normal clearance. Drive in from the north end - much closer and smoother.

I'm going back there, again, this week for about two weeks focusing on Lees Ferry and Paria Plateau (4-wheel drive due to sand - not rugged terrain).

I use this as my guide book - the only one to my knowledge of the area. Available at amazon in e-book and print. Title: > Vermilion Cliffs National Monument < by Rogalla. For serious hiking: Hiking and Exploring the Paria River by Kelsey. Make sure you purchase the 5th Revision. The 4th has less data.

One more suggestion:
Express Rent A Car rents 4-wheel drive. (435) 644-3408
White Pocket (scenic area) is well worth the price of renting a 4-wheel drive. See tour book above and/or Google: White Pocket Paria Utah

There are many tour guides taking you to many areas $$

Rangers have a restriction on children, but I think 11 years is acceptable. One woman wanted to take a 4 month old baby - incredible.

If staying at a motel, make reservations now.

Vaga

RVvagabond Sep 25th, 2016 09:05 PM

Forgot:

Ten permits are also issued via the Internet.
At $5 per try (or so) non refundable.

Vaga

njs Sep 26th, 2016 03:23 AM

Thanks vaga and everyone else!