Hiking the Na Pali coast in Kauai

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Leigh

Hiking the Na Pali coast in Kauai

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Kauai in May. We definitely want to hike the first 2-4 miles of the Kalalau trail at Na Pali coast.

Are hiking shoes/boots a must, or will our running shoes (sneakers) be okay? With all the other trip expenses, I hate to add hiking boots to the list. Especially since we rarely have the opportunity to go hiking.

Any other tips on hiking the Na Pali are also appreciated!

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Margot

Hi Leigh -

You're definitely in for a treat when you take this breathtaking (literally AND figuratively speaking!) hike! We did the first 2 miles in the month of March several years ago, and while we used our sneakers, I would say that you'd be better off with something that has more traction, since the trail can be quite muddy and slippery (my husband fell several times). A walking stick is also a good idea, and you can often find them left behind by nice people at the starting point of the hike at Ke'e Beach. Do consider getting a good and solid pair of shoes with good treads to give you the support you'll need, as this is a rigorous (but well worth the ffort)hike. Aloha and have a wonderful time - I guarantee this won't be your last trip to Kauai!

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 02:16 PM
D

Hi Leigh - you will have a GREAT time hiking the trail! Just a few more tips - bring lots of water and TONS of film!!!!

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 06:52 PM
dana

Well, where do I start? I've hiked the 2 mile hike twice, and wanted to do it a third time (by the way I'm not a very active type person, and never really go on hikes.) Couldn't do it the 3rd time because they had guides telling people not to go as the trail was very wet due to recent rain storms. I work with a girl that had to be carried out on a stretcher. She sprained her ankle.
The first time going, I had no idea what to expect so we didn't bring very much water, very little food, and although the hike was worth the beauty that lay in store for us, I wouldn't want to go unprepared like that again!!
The beach that you hike to is beautiful.
It's very rocky terrain, though to get there and is not (even by experienced hikers' accounts) not an easy 2 miles.
I'd recommend some good shoes, although I've hiked it barefoot twice, as I felt more control that way. I had thongs on the first time (ignorant) and also had some different shoes the second time,
but they didn't do the trick, so I barefooted it again and did quite well.
The first time we hiked there wasn't much shade as the hurrican Iniki had ravaged the island a few months previously, but the second time it was green, lush and tropical, and made the hike much more bearable. I think hiking boots would probably be your best bet over tennis shoes. Now that I think about it, I remember being very envious of those who had hiking boots. They seemed to just plow through that trail with ease. have fun.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Dick

Leigh,

You are gettting some great advice. The first time we made the hike we had sneakers...but the 2nd and 3rd times we had hiking boots. The "fresh water" coming off the mountain is not drinkable without treatment. It is best to bring in plenty of water and a hat to shield you from the sun along the way.

After our first time, without hiking sticks, we now use collapsable hiking sticks( they look like ski poles) which fit in luggage. Hiking sticks prevented us from slipping on the rocks.

It is a scenic hike that really makes you feel like you are in the islands

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:30 AM
lisa

My mom & I did it in light hiking boots and that's what I would recommend -- although I must admit that we saw local teenagers RUNNING the trail, some in rubber flip-flop sandals and some BAREFOOT! We just had to laugh.

If the trail happens to be dry when you're there, you would probably be fine with a good pair of athletic shoes as long as they have decent treads -- but if it's wet you'll want hiking boots (and I got the impression that it's usually wet).

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Dale

I've been there, done that. The trail is long and rugged, wet and rocky and very raw. If you are sturdy on your feet moccasins (sneakers) will be fine. If you are the tipid type, I would recommend ankle supported boots, a hiking stick or two, and lighten up with the gear, bring water and a snack for energy. Expect your shoes to get ruined. Enjoy!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:23 AM
kcd

My husbad an I have hiked the Kalalau trail twice. Like many of the other posters, the first time we were totally unprepared. Second time around we were better off. My advice: Bring water and power snacks, sunscreen, lots of film, and go early!!! The trail gets crowded by noon time, and it's a real pain either having to pass someone or having people pass the other way, especially if you're at a real narrow part of the trail. As others have mentioned, it is a strenuous hike - expect to sweat a lot, and yes, your sneakers will be just about ruined, but it is sooooo worth it!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:27 AM
kcd

One other thing, be VERY careful at the beach. Don't go in the water! The current is so strong, on our first trip, we saw a man get dragged into the water and slammed around by the waves. It was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Luckily some daring men dragged him out when a wave pushed him towards the beach.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 09:16 AM
chris

Hi,

We are also planning on hiking the Na Pail coast in May. I have a question about hiking sticks. Is it advisable for each person to have one pair of hiking sticks? Also, on the mainland, how much can I expect to pay for a collapsable pair? Would it be cheaper to buy them when I get to Kauai? Where would I find them on Kauai?

Thanks,
Chris

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Margot

Chris, as I mentioned in my reply to Leigh above, it is my experience that people leave behind their walking sticks (and by that I mean the natural unbought ones gotten straight from tree limbs!) at the trail's starting point at Ke'e Beach in Haena State Park. However, if you want to play it safe, you can buy them in Kauai at many stores, but don't expect any bargains there - you'll probably pay a lot less on the mainland, and if you want the collapsable kind, it'd probably make sense to buy them where you are locally because they shouldn't be hard to pack. Can't help you with cost estimates, but you might want to do an internet comparison shopping search. Good luck!

Old May 30th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Leigh

We're back from our trip and followed your great advice - we bought good hiking shoes before we left. And we definitely did not regret it!

The Na Pali coast hike was slippery and steep in numerous places, and the grip on the shoes was a tremendous help to us.

Thank you all for the great advice. Unfortunately, we didn't get there early enough to score a walking stick at the trail head. But there were a lot of them there when we finished! The good thing about doing the hike in the afteroon is that the hike back (around 4pm) was not crowded at all. We didn't pass many folks going the opposite direction that late in the day, and that made it much more enjoyable.

Of course we didn't have time to hike to the waterfall after making it the first 2-miles to the beach. That being said, we probably couldn't have done another 4 miles! We were totally beat from what we did do. But it was definitely worth it.

Thanks again,
Aloha and happy travels to you all,
Leigh from Texas

Old May 30th, 2001, 05:28 PM
garmetless

Is there a clothing optional section of the beach?

Old May 31st, 2001, 04:26 AM
Naturist

THe official word is no nudity.

Depending on the time of year and size of the beach it is possible to find a more secluded area if you go early in the morning.

My wife and I were able to start a clothing optional part of the beach and others joined us.

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:57 AM
dina

This hike sounds wonderful - We'll be going next May.

Do people generally do this hike on their own or as part of a guided tour? And if you do it on your own - is it easy to get lost ?

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:57 AM
Dick

Dina,

Definitely on their own. The closest thing to a guided hike is a zodiac boat drop off at one end of the trail with an eleven mile hike back to the trailhead.

It is 2 miles to the beach...another 2 miles to the falls. My understanding is that anything beyond that requires a permit.

It is a fabulous hike..the trail is very easy to follow.