Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hiking into the Grand Canyon in Winter (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hiking-into-the-grand-canyon-in-winter-1062823/)

rustynpp Jul 14th, 2015 11:32 AM

Hiking into the Grand Canyon in Winter

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning a 4-day trip to the GC south rim in December, and I was considering spending two of those days (and one night) hiking down into the canyon. The preliminary plan is to take the Bright Angel trail down to the Phantom Ranch (~10 miles), spend the night in a cabin, then hike back up to the south rim the next day.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this a feasible trip in the winter for novice hikers? We're both young (under 30) and in good shape/physically active, but we have little hiking experience beyond basic day-hikes. Will a trip like this require snow shoes or any other specialized equipment?

2) Would our time be better spent taking shorter hikes closer to the rim? Like everyone else, we're trying to make the most of our short time there, so I want to be sure that this long hike would be worth it.

More broadly, if anyone has any resources or itineraries to recommend I'd love to take a look. I've already gathered a bunch of info but more is always better.

Thanks!
-nick

WhereAreWe Jul 14th, 2015 11:57 AM

hitthetrail.com is a great resource.

First, I would not hike down for just one night. Two nights would give you time to rest and explore down there. It's far more interesting to explore at the bottom than walk around the rim and look at the scenic views.

Second, you need to check on those cabins. My understanding is they are primarily for mule riders, not hikers. If you have to camp in a tent, permits are available starting 4 months in advance....which would be August 1st for you.

Third, you'd want to hike down South Kaibab. Better views, more sunshine and I think it is slightly shorter but steeper. Save Bright Angel for the trip up.

And lastly, I would say go for it even with minimal experience. My first backpacking trip was to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. You have 4-5 months to train and camp out to get some experience, plus you won't have any heat issues to worry about.

logandog Jul 14th, 2015 12:31 PM

We hiked back up Bright Angel in late January and trudged through two feet of fresh powder for the last mile.
Cold air can sink to the bottom of the canyon a make tent camping a challenge.

spirobulldog Jul 14th, 2015 01:33 PM

The cabins are more for the riders while the dorms are more for hikers. But, you could score one. On the other hand, both the dorms and cabins could already both be full.

I've done a lot of hiking. Have rafted the GC, but have not hiked it.(planning on doing so sometime in the next few year).
#1 If your in decent shape I think it is certainly doable. Probably more so in winter than summer. You will enjoy the GC much more by actually hiking it or rafting it than simply peering over the edge and leaving. I would also think staying 2 nights at the bottom would be better.
#2 You might consider other places for adventure as well. I've been to the GC 4 times and have been to over 40 of our National Parks, many on several occasions. In my opinion, GC doesn't make my Top Ten. It is certainly a shock and awe moment, but I just like other places better. I'm sure others would disagree. I'm not suggesting not to do your hike, but just keep others in mind for the future. It seems everyone always makes GC #1. Yosemite, Yellowstone, Rainier, Sequoia, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Lassen, Olympics all are better. Again, just my opinion. None of those really are good in the winter that I mention...so GC might be your best option. GO FOR IT! sounds like a good time and sounds like you've done some research already.

spirobulldog Jul 14th, 2015 01:34 PM

Good hiking Boot or Shoes
Crampons might be needed

Gilbert56 Jul 15th, 2015 11:14 AM

First of all - do you have reservations for Phantom Ranch? The cabins are probably already sold out, but if you are flexible you might be lucky to get dorm space.

Next the weather - I have done the mule ride to Phantom in December,(more than once), and each time the weather was different. First year, it was sunny, little to no snow/ice on the trails, temps at the bottom in the mid 70s. Another year we had a full blown snow storm on the ride out. Below Cedar Ridge the trail was a mix of snow/slush/mud/water with chunks of ice floating in them. As we rode higher, it became all snow, with blowing wind and snow. Another year it was sunny but very cold with lots of snow on the upper section of the trail. Snow was partially packed down, but was at least knee to thigh deep if you stepped off the trail (hikers).

Just be prepared for all types of weather.
You will definitely need some type of crampons or ice grippers for you boots (and maybe gaitors if there is a lot of snow). And hiking poles will help too.
Clothing in layers too - definitely fleece and a jacket to keep out the wind. Hat and gloves of course.

Keep in mind that there will be no water on the South Kaibab trail going down and that the only water on the Bright Angel trail will be at Indian Gardens. You should be okay in winter though.
Don't forget to order meals at Phantom Ranch too. They too will most likely be already sold out, but definitely keep calling Xanterra for cancellations.

Take the South Kaibab trail down (the top section - the Chimney is a lot of steep switchbacks and can get VERY ICY), the trail will be mostly in the sun (after this first section). Then use the Bright Angel trail for the hike out.
If you can manage 2 nights at the bottom, go for it. A nice day hike on your layover day is to Ribbon Falls (if you're feeling energetic - about 13 miles).

Make sure you get comfortable shoes or boots and make sure they are broken in before hiking.

WhereAreWe Jul 15th, 2015 12:14 PM

Just wanted to comment on a couple things:

" Like everyone else, we're trying to make the most of our short time there, so I want to be sure that this long hike would be worth it. "

A 4 day trip to the Grand Canyon is actually a long time. Most people spend a day or less - in fact I think the average visit last just a couple hours (credit the tour buses from Vegas for bringing the average down). Most people that don't hike only spend a night there, so 4 days is a lot. I think you will have a hard time finding enough hikes along the rim to fill up 4 days so either plan on hiking down in the canyon or find other things to do in the area. If you decide against the hike to Phantom Ranch, Plateau Point is a good/challenging day hike. Also, the South Kaibab/Tonto/Bright Angel loop is also good/challenging. Plateau Point would have a lot more traffic (relatively speaking) so would be safer for less experienced hikers.

Weather could be all over the place as mentioned. Any major storms should be fairly well forecast ahead of time but it wouldn't be unheard of for a small snow event to turn into something bigger while you're at the bottom. So you'd need to pack extra gear just in case....there is a duffel service that you could use to have mules haul your stuff down and back up.

Lastly, as already mentioned you need to check on the availability of cabins/dorms now before making any plans. Meals would not be sold out, that is not even an issue right now. Anyone that is hoping to backpack and camp at Phantom cannot even apply for a permit until August 1, and those people are able to make reservations for meals, so for sure if you were to call now they would not be sold out already. But the meals are the least of your worries, you need to check on cabins/dorms ASAP.
http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/phantom-ranch/

RVvagabond Jul 16th, 2015 10:21 PM

All of above recommendations are valid

This may simplify your trip (check reservations/cancellations)

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/mule_trips.htm

Vaga