Hiking in Tahoe in mid to late-May?

Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking in Tahoe in mid to late-May?

My husband and I are planning a visit to north lake Tahoe May 18-24. I realize that it's impossible to say for sure at this point, but generally speaking, will we be able to do any day hiking during that period? I recognize that there will likely still be snow on many of the trails and the rest may be muddy, but will at least some of them be passable? We prefer day hikes in the 6-12 mile range, so if you have any specific suggestions, that would be helpful.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was up at North Tahoe this past Mother's Day weekend and it was soooo beautiful. We had a pretty dry winter so no the snow line was at the much higher elevations and not much of a problem near the lake. Unless we have a very late and heavy snow pack, you should be fine. I can't give any specific trail recs, but you will have a great trip. Go for it!
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been there in early-mid May many years and once there was a true winter storm -- car was totally buried . . . and 3 days later it was 75F and beautiful.

Typically it is nice during the day, cool to cold at night and some thunder storms in the late afternoon.

So no, no way to tell
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm less concerned about the weather per se (although a massive snow storm would sort of bite) and more concerned with whether we'll find any hikeable trails even in the best case scenario and, if so, which ones.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh sure - in most years there is no snow at all at lake level - or around Donner Lake.

And many/most of the midlevel trails will be open and clear. But no year is truly 'typical'.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We'll just take what comes. We'd like to do some kayaking, too, so hopefully we'll be able to stay active and busy.