Hiking in North Carolina Mountains -we are new here

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My American husband and I moved to the mountains in North Carolina six weeks ago after 10 years living in Europe and 4 years in Africa. My English grammar is not the best, I'm sorry.
I found this travel board this morning and now I' m asking for help. We moved here because of my husband's work and we are here for hiking and mountains.
What hikes are the most scenic and no crowds? What trails are nice for new hikers in this area? We like to hike on our own, no loud groups. We can drive to trails, gas is inexpensive here and we have our small car from Europe we got before we moved. Where to start?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:16 AM

It sort of depends on where you are in the mountains. Asheville? Boone/Blowing Rock? If you drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway there are various trails you can hike from there. In the Pisgah Forest near Brevard there are many hiking trails, particularly up to Looking Glass Rock. Near Waynesville (I think) is Shining Rock Wilderness with lovely hiking. Off the Parkway north of Asheville is Craggy Gardens with some nice hiking trails to waterfalls. Further up the Parkway near Linville Falls there are many places to hike--Grandfather Mountain, Black Mountain, and the Linville Gorge. Welcome to the US. Enjoy.
You might do a search online for Blue Ridge Parkway and find a lot of info.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help, Gretchen. We are in Cedar Mountain near Brevard and next to Dupont Park. I did lots of research but nothing is better than personal favorites. We now reading about a hike to Looking Glass Rock
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 03:05 AM

Gretchen's given you good advice. I spent many years hiking around Brevard. Two of our favorites were to Looking Glass Rock and the Shining Rock Wilderness. Stop at the ranger station at the entrance to Pisgah and you can get lots of information about hiking, there are tons of waterfalls in the Forest. Have fun, I love that area.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 06:03 AM

I hope you have taken advantage of the wonderful Brevard Music Festival. A good friend is chairman of the board of trustees of that organization. It's a beautiful part of NC. Good advice about the ranger station. Good trout fishing along the Davidson River there.