Questions on early bird boarding on Southwest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we go carryon only and need to be on board soon enough to have room for said carryon' I started thinking that on our return trip we wouldn't be near a computer to get an A boarding pass, so I purchased the early bird option.

Do I still need to go on line to get a boarding pass that says early bird?

Can I bypass the counter and go to the gate? If so what do I show to TSA at the inspection area? Or do I put my credit card into the scanner near the counter and get a pass?

Will everyone be getting early bird passes so it is an exercise in futility and a money maker for sw?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:47 AM

Yes, it is a money maker. And yes so many people get EB now that it is almost essential to do it to get a good selection of seats. You have 3 options to get a printout of your EB boarding pass.
1. Go online within 24 hrs of your flight and select "check in".
2. Use the kiosk at the airport ticket counter
3. If you use curbside checkin they will print it for you.

Just remember, even with EB, you can get a number from A16 to A46 or so because the computer assigns EB numbers not by who buys in first but randomly.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM

I flew SW this past week, four flights over three days. I did not do Early Bird boarding for any of them and had the "A" group on every one; the furthest back I sat (aisle seat every time) was Row 8.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, hopefully we will not only be able to be seated together, but will have room for the bags.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, Musicfan, and just how EARLY did you plant yourself in that "A" line? A few minutes ahead? A LOT of minutes ahead?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM

I've flown Southwest about four times over the past six months or so. I've never paid for early boarding. One time I got a B boarding pass but otherwise have always gotten an A boarding pass. But I've always made sure to get my boarding pass 24 hours in advance.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:37 AM

emalloy, I don't think anyone actually answered your question. You paid for EB, which means that Southwest will assign you a number (usually A1-A15). You do not have to call or do anything 24 hours in advance. You don't have to do anything except retrieve your boarding pass at the airport kiosk prior to going through security.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:47 AM

We fly Southwest half a dozen times a year. We have been pretty unhappy about paying for Early Bird only to get boarding numbers in the 30s, 40s, (Manchester NH to Ft. Myers) and once 50s (Manchester NH to Portland OR). We never book last minute, all trips are planned at least a couple of months in advance. I disagree that you will "usually be assigned A1-15," those seats are for the priority SW (I forget what it's called but if you buy business class seats or have umpteen thousand miles on their airline) passengers. We like to sit together and near the front of the cabin (better for airsick-prone people like me). We have been pretty dissatisfied of late. SW is a victim of its own success.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:20 AM

As mentioned above, since you applied for early bird (which we never do) you do not have to check in early to get an A boarding. Just print out your pass at the airport--you do need a boarding pass to go through security.

If you cannot fit your bag into the overhead, they will load it under the plane. It is not really a problem. SW also does not charge for checked bags so you can also check the bags.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM

It is true - I overstated the likelihood that you will get a low number A boarding pass. The order goes Business Select (people who paid $400 for their ticket, unlike most who paid $69 for the same flight),then "A-listers" (super-frequent Southwest flyers), then EB, then the people who log on to get their boarding passes with everyone else 24 hours before the flight. There usually aren't that many people who pay full fare (the two times I did, I was A-1 on both flights, even though in one case, I changed to that flight two hours before takeoff). The issue will be how many EB there are. Boarding pass numbers are pre-assigned in the order of booking. So the earlier you book and pay for EB, the lower the number you'll get.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM

@Dukey...I just lined up when they made the announcment and boarded, in numerical order (I assume...this was the first time I could tell someone "cheated"...she put herself at the front of the 31-60 line, but she had A51) with everyone else.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 11:41 AM

It seems that most people queque up in numberical order and will make sure that others do likewise. And if someone is ahead of their spot, the gate agent has told them to go to proper place.

I have never done EB and have gotten an A boarding pass almose everytime. A few times that I had a B pass, I still had a choice of seats. C passes are about the only ones that get middle seats.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM

I've had the same experience, DebitNM. The FAs have been pretty good about enforcing the request to put smaller stuff under the seat to everyone has space for their carry ons in the overhead bin.

One of the FAs announced that "C" boarding passes stand for "Center Seat," so take the first on you come to!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM

And remember, if you do buy EB, you only have to do it for one member of your party. Its that "seat saving thing"
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was VERY disappointed when I bought the EB. I had booked EB when I booked my flght. My sister and niece got the EB just one week prior to the flight. They both were in the A group and I had B-5!!!!! People who did not even pay for EB were in front of me.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks all, I went on line and got A54 and 55.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM

I always try to check-in at exactly 24 hours in advance. This Sunday, I got A41, which is the lowest I've gotten since the EB program started.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM

"Saving the seat thing" sorry, I have a real issue with that, as do others. I don't think that is proper. If there were still other seats that I like [aisle] I wouldn't press the issue, but if there were only less desirable seats, I would really be in a twit if someone said they were saving seats. I would probably sit in seat. The FA would back me on this.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Agreed, DebitNM. The flight attendants have been cracking down on this practice as well. Although I will admit to having done this occasionally in the past, it was only for 1 person, and I did not refuse anybody a seat if they asked me straight out. Now, with EB, I just don't do it at all, out of consideration for those who paid for EB.

As schmerl mentioned, I have also noticed that buying EB doesn't guarantee you an "A" seat, and have received "B" on a couple of occasions.

Truly, Southwest IS a victim of its own success. With the latest changes to their booking system and website, they are also contending with some disastrous bugs in terms of customer satisfaction. As a call center design engineer, I used to use them as a good example. Now....they show up in industry news as a mess, currently.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 04:52 AM

Last year I flew SW and someone with a "medical issue" was saving NINE seats in the front three rows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -