Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Highlands NC vs Lake Rabun, GA for a day and a half in Oct.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an extra night on out trip and are considering these 2 places. The Lake Rabun Hotel sounds fun and funky and right up our alley. As far as Highlands, I haven't really come up with an interesting place to stay that is reasonably priced and not just a standard motel. Or, maybe, the areas are close enough that we could do both in a day and a half? What is Highlands really like? I'm thinking it is set in a beautiful area, is upscale and yuppie with lots of expensive shops, and caters to the wealthy who own second homes. Am I off base? I've read some comments about being sure to allow a half a day there in town, but is that intended to be time to shop, or is there actually mnore to the town than that? I'm guessing both areas have nice scenery and hiking (two things we're interested in). I'd really prefer to just wing it as far as lodging and checking out what appeals to us, but I am nervous about this because even though it is a Sunday night, it is still peak October season. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Highlands is a pretty mountain town. The shopping on Main Street is about 3 blocks long. There is upscale shopping there. I don't really care for the stores that much, but there is a great ice cream shop there.

The Lake Rabun Hotel is just west of Clayton, GA and Highlands is about 30-40 miles from Clayton. If you are afraid you will "miss" something, stay at Lake Rabun Hotel and then drive to Highlands. There is spectacular scenery on the way from Highlands west back over to Franklin, NC. The road is very curvy but beautiful with places to stop to look at a couple of waterfalls, etc.

I think I remember you are headed back to the airport after this last day. If you wanted to, you could check in the hotel, take the drive into Highlands, shop for an hour or so, then take the curvy drive to Franklin and then the 4 lane south back to Clayton, GA. You could eat dinner in Clayton, or go back to the LRH and have dinner at their restaurant/bar there or at Louie's on the Lake - which is across the little road in front of the hotel.

The Buck Creek Tavern is a very good upscale steak house in "downtown Clayton".

There's a short hike - more of a stroll actually - to a waterfall near the LRH. You mentioned renting a canoe earlier. Hall's Boathouse is near the hotel, but they start letting the water down in the fall. Call the hotel and ask about canoe rentals - or the hotel may have complimentary canoes. I don't know.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Starrsville--

Thanks so much for helping out a total stranger. You've answered all my questions. We wanted to go out on the lake but the hotel only has a rental pontoon ($150 for 4 hours) which is more that I want to pay since we own our own pontoon at home so a pontoon itself isn't all that special to me. There seem to be no rental canoes at all available. I'm fine with a half an hour or so of shopping, but my husband does not vacation to shop. And, I live in Minneapolis where there is every variety of shopping imaginable available if I choose to do so. Nice galleries do interest me however if there are those around.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM

No problem.

No galleries (that I know of). There was a neat folk art store in Clayton - but it closed. There's a shop in Highlands that specializes in local crafts - worth a stop. I'm not a shopper, so the pet shop and the ice cream store are all I wander it (unless I have to do more). I can't imagine it taking 2 hours to "do" all of Highlands' shopping.

The Hambidge Center did have a nice folk craft store on 441 south in Rabun Gap (on the way south from Franklin to Clayton, but it closed. Really nice stuff - but no more.

I'd offer you the use of my pontoon, but at the end of October it will probably be winterized for the season.

Have fun. Safe travels. I may be up there that weekend - and I get the local paper sent to me. I'll see if there are any special events going on that weekend.

If you are familiar with the Foxfire books (or movie or play), the visitors center is just north of Clayton. Turn at Mountain City and head on up the mountain toward Black Rock Mtn State Park. Visit the park for some beautiful views. There's a nice 2.2 miles trail there too.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:43 PM

check out www.theclaytontribune.com
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Remind me where you are coming from (before Lake Rabun) and I'll tell you where to stop and how to bypass the traffic they talk about in the paper.

If you are coming in from the Helen area and like pottery, head south on 197 to Batesville and stop at "The Mark of the Potter". It's in an old grist mill - famous pottery - and feed the largest rainbow trout you will ever see.

If you head back north on 197, stop at Burton Gallery (a shop) for some of the finest crafts, artwork, etc. in the state (or at least it used to have).

There's a great al fresco Italian restaurant just north of it - you'd swear you were in Italy. I'm not sure they will still be open. They cater to the lake crowd.

Then head east along the lake roads to your hotel.

It will be easy to bypass the 441 construction south of Clayton that the newspaper talks about. Just head north toward "Tiger" and then into Clayton. Catch 441 north then.

If you want an old-fashioned experience, the Tiger Drive-In reopened last year after being closed for decades. Double features of recent movies in a tiny mountain town.

You were right about the clientele of Highlands - but the same clientele is found at Lakes Burton, Rabun and Seed (all in a row).
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Starrsville. We have a cabin in the area off of 60 between somewhere between Morgan and Suches on the Toccoa River. So, we'll be heading east to the area. Apparently the pontoon season lasts just a little bit longer down your way. Our marina starts pulling them out the 1st of Oct. My husband is hoping to use ours for the last trip of the season this week-end. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Highlands: agreed. Just enough shopping on main street to kill an hour or two before your dinner reservation. I like Paoletti's (Italian restaurant)pretty well...it's not cutting edge or anything.

It's the number of Jaguars that fascinate me. I understand Highlands is wealthy...but why all Jaguars? No Porches? ;-)

I think I may have mentioned Panthertown Valley in a previous thread. It's between Highlands and Cashiers, and has good trails, unusual views and waterfalls. Not SUPER easy to find, you would need to research it on the net and get directions.

I'm going to have to look into Lake RAbun Hotel. Fun and funky sounds good.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:07 PM

There's an ad in today's USA Today for "Ridges of Rabun" (a new subdivision) and the ad says it's 20 minutes from Highlands and 20 minutes from Lake Burton. Thought that might be helpful to you. (Burton is just upriver from Rabun). The picture looked great. It's just a few miles from my place but I haven't checked it out yet.

It was 85 in Atlanta today and 60 on my mountain. Be sure to take some fleece or warm stuff to wear. It's cooling off already up there!