High road to Taos

Jul 16th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

High road to Taos

Is the road more scenic going south to north or vice versa? Someone said north to south is better.
Jul 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I've only done north to south, and I thought it was very scenic. That direction might be better because you look out from hillsides into valleys on the way down. However, my favorite part of the drive is stopping at old churches, which is good regardless of the direction of travel.
Jul 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure if the direction is as important as the time of day. If it can be down around dusk, you will see some spectacular color.
Jul 21st, 2004, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Someone on another website message board describes the drive on the High Road to Taos as "frightening". Narrow, winding, no shoulders and sheer drop offs. Do you find this to be a problem?
Jul 21st, 2004, 07:08 AM

We took the low road around the Rio Grande just because of that reason Bjrusso. My husband was disappointed because he wanted to take the high road, but I was terrified just driving into Bandilier National Monument. The scenery was great but I'm sure better on the high road.
Jul 21st, 2004, 07:13 AM

I would hardly call the drive from Taos "frightening." Then again, I'm not bothered by the drive in Big Sur, or by the high, twisty roads in the Rockies. I guess it's all relative.
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:50 AM

I get nervous on roads with big cliffs and no guardrails. I can't remember being scared while driving the high road, but maybe I just have a selective memory. I think I was nervous on the OTHER road to Taos that runs above the river. To give you an idea of what scares me, the things that Jack mentions, Big Sur and rocky mountain passes like Red Mountain near Ouray, scare me, especially as a passenger. I also remember being quite nervous driving west from Los Alamos on a long winding downhill that had some occasional thin icy patches on the turns.

Search this Thread