Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   high/low season prices (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/high-low-season-prices-464439/)

Dennis_the_menace Aug 3rd, 2004 09:24 AM

high/low season prices

When are the peak price seasons, and when are the lowest price times of the year, for staying in the Hawaiian Islands?

fdecarlo Aug 3rd, 2004 10:46 AM

Generally, November or December through April or May is the "high" season in Hawaii, with the remainder of the year being "low" season, but there are exceptions. On the Big Island for example, the Ironman competition takes place every October, and room rates for that week (at least on the west side of the island) are sky high.

Also remember that every property owner sets their own pricing policy, so the most important advice is to check with the individual property you're interested in.

iamq Aug 3rd, 2004 11:35 AM

For many condo and home rentals it seems there is only one real "season" other than the two weeks in December/January. The house we just rented in Hanalei for next summer had one price that was applicable all year. It depends upon the agency. It seems a little different than places like the Caribbean or Mexico where there are clear-cut high and low seasons.
-Bill

Suzie Aug 3rd, 2004 11:43 AM

Many of the resorts have different seasons like regular (which is high priced) holiday (which is higher priced) and value which is themost reasonable. Some have a mid season price which is between high and value.

Value season is like the first part of may to about mid june, then from Sept to Thanksgiving break and then agian after thanksgiving until the christmas break. The highest is the christams break from mid december until about mid january. Regular season, which is high priced too, is January through April and then most of June, all of July and August.

Keep in mind though that some places vary their seasons a bit because travel volumes may be up or down depending on what's going on on that particular island.

iceeu2 Aug 3rd, 2004 11:45 AM

Bill, did you actually see the house you are renting next summer when you were just there?
Mind telling me which one and where? We already have 7 nights in Kapaa, but want to change after that...
BTW, did you eat at LaPlayita Azul?

GoTravel Aug 3rd, 2004 12:03 PM

Except in Holiday Destinations (New York City for example), Low/Dead Season everywhere is the week after Thanksgiving until the first full weekend after December 15th.

iamq Aug 3rd, 2004 12:11 PM

I2,
Unfortunately we never made it to La Playita Azul :'(. Sav'n it for NEXT time! For some reason, everytime I suggested it, my partner had another idea /:). I even showed him all the glowing remarks my friends at Fodors said about it.
The house we really want for next summer is called Hale Walea through Kauai Vaction Rentals. We did get a chance to see it and thought it would be perfect for the two of us. It's the last house just before Haena Beach Park, right on the beach. They rent it six months out from your arrival date, which is a bit of a drag for a control freak- travel obsessed person like me. Sooo, we are on the waiting list for that place. They are supposed to call sometime towards the end of the year. In the meantime we rented a really cute cottage from Na Pali Properties on Weke Rd. across from the bay in Hanalei just to be on the safe side. I hope this answers your question. Thanks!
-Bill

Rusty Aug 3rd, 2004 12:22 PM

What is a "holiday destination"? What makes New York City a holiday destination?

iamq Aug 3rd, 2004 12:42 PM

I2,
I forgot...the name of the place from Na Pali Properties is called "Plantation Cottage".
Aloha.
-Bill

GoTravel Aug 3rd, 2004 12:42 PM

Rusty, NYC is a holiday destination because millions of people come to NYC Thanksgiving through New Years to celebrate the holidays and shop.

The Tree at Rock Center, The Nutcracker, The Macy's Parade, the Windows at Macy's, Saks, Bergdorfs, Bendels, etc, Radio City Music Hall Rockettes Extravaganza, and all the other things.

I know The Grove Park Inn in Asheville North Carolina has very expensive rates for the holiday season because of The Biltmore and Biltmore Village and other celebrations around Asheville.

Does this help?