Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hidden Valley Resort, PA or Wintergreen Resort, VA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hidden-valley-resort-pa-or-wintergreen-resort-va-139776/)

ingrid Jan 9th, 2002 06:40 PM

Hidden Valley Resort, PA or Wintergreen Resort, VA?

Please help me decide if you've been at either resort or both: Three generations, family with kids (10 and 12) and grandparents . We're looking for a summer vacation with kids' activities, swimming, hiking, tennis clinics (?), boating, and some exploring. Wintergreen looks more upscale, but what is Hidden Valley like?

Terri Jan 10th, 2002 07:07 AM

I've never been to Wintergreen but I have been to Hidden Valley many times. Hidden Valley is a very quiet resort. There is much more to do at Seven Springs which is only a few miles away. The pools are bigger, more tennis, choice of restaurants, etc. They also have bowling lanes and a video arcade for the kids in case of rain.

x Jan 10th, 2002 08:41 AM

ditto on 7 springs...it is 7springs.com----look it up...love it there...think you would be disapointed in Hidden Valley...Ohiopyle and Fallingwater are close too..

ingrid Jan 11th, 2002 10:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback, but Seven Springs looks too much like highrises, and the video arcade isn't a big selling point for me. What is the atmosphere like? We're not looking for nightlife, arcades but rather for sports and nature --- yes, and some peace. Nothing that resembles Ocean City, for instance.

x Jan 11th, 2002 12:35 PM

you might like the Greenbrier.com--sounds more of what your looking for ...or Deep Creek ....

x Jan 11th, 2002 12:37 PM

or Nemocolin Woodlands Resort(Pa.)........sounds like yo want upscale...

ingrid Jan 11th, 2002 04:58 PM

Nope, I don't want that upscale (both Greenbriar and Nemacolin are also too expensive). I like the idea of a condo or house plus some resort-type facilities and some sports clinics. Do they have them at SS? Thank you.

x Jan 12th, 2002 07:46 AM

ye they do...why don`t you call Seven Springs---1-800-425-2223~ they have tennis cinics for the kids and also have summer camp---have craft sessions also...

Susan Jan 12th, 2002 08:05 AM

We stayed at Wintergreen once during the summer with our children once and really enjoyed it. They emphasize nature. Its a lovely setting in the woods. It was reasonably priced. I don't know about their tennis or boating. The golf is nice but you have to drive down the mountain (10 min.) to get to it. Have fun.

Anne Jan 13th, 2002 04:57 PM

Hi Ingrid. . We've not been to Hidden Valley in the summer, but go there every winter to ski. I can say that the pools are pretty small and spread out. There may be a small pool near each large grouping of condos. They have a nice golf course, but I don't recall seeing any tennis courts. It is a pretty setting, but there might not be enough for kids to do there in the summer. Their website is Hiddenvalleyresort.com. Let me know if you have any other questions!

ingrid Jan 16th, 2002 05:51 AM

Thank you for all your great feedback. I've checked out their respective websites, but obviously right now they're focusing on winter programs. <BR>What is there in terms of sightseeing near Hidden Valley/Seven Springs (except Falling Water)?

rorym Jan 16th, 2002 08:42 AM

The Lodge at Rocky Gap State Park near Cumberland Maryland is great for summer family acitivities. It is on the shores of Lake Habeeb. There is a beach, canoeing, biking, tennis, rock climbing, Jack Nicklaus golf course and clinic, and kids adventure classes run by the Park service. They have good deals during the summer and it is quite beautiful. It is run by the Park Service but is very nice, new and clean. They also have some spa services on site. Only drawback the indoor/outdoor pool is really small.

amy Jan 16th, 2002 08:54 AM

I know this isn't one of the two places you mentioned, but you may want to consider Smith Mountain Lake in Bedford County, VA if you're looking for a relaxing summer trip. It's not really a resort, but there are many houses that get rented out. Most have boat ramps or docks. The lake is very large and the inlets are good for swimming and water sports. As the name mentions, the lake is adjacent to Smith Mountain. I've never been hiking there, but there is a park located at the base of the mountain that has a beach and may have trails leading up into the mountain. Like I mentioned, it's not as "resorty" as Wintergreen, but very relaxing and beautiful scenery.

ingrid Jan 21st, 2002 05:33 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. We had thought about Smith Mountain Lake, but friends of ours who stayed there swore that it was full of snakes!!! They didn't dare to go into the water. Was that a unique situation, were they hallucinating, or what's the scoop?<BR><BR>Also, Seven Springs looks pretty off-beating from their aerial shot (just like a huge apartment building). What is it like on the ground?

TEMA Jan 21st, 2002 06:19 PM

WE STAYED AT WINTERGREEN ABOUT SEVEN YEARS AGO. IT WAS WONDERFUL. THE KIDS PROGRAMS WERE GREAT - THEY HAD ALL KINDS OF ACTIVITIES, BUT YOU HAD TO LINE UP EARLY TO SIGN THEM UP. THE RESTAURANTS WERE VERY GOOD. THE RESORT IS ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN, SO IT IS ALWAYS COOLER THAN AT THE BASE. THERE IS HORSEBACK RIDING, HIKING, THE RESORT IS VERY ECOLOGICALLY CORRECT. I WOULD DEFINITELY GO THERE AGAIN.

amy Jan 22nd, 2002 09:22 AM

About Smith Mountain Lake-- I've been there every summer for the past five years or so and have never encountered a snake. It's a pretty popular place to summer where I'm from, and I've never heard about snake problems. Maybe certain inlets are prone to snakes... I'm not sure.

ingrid Jan 22nd, 2002 06:52 PM

Thanks, Amy. So, Smith Mountian lake is a definite possiblity. Do you have any recommendations for lodging?

amy Jan 23rd, 2002 01:50 PM

I don't know of any hotels there... mostly rental houses. Although I think there are a few condos located on the main lake. You may check with a local realtor-- it seems that Smith Mountain Lake is a bit of a free-for-all when it comes to accommodations.

ingrid Jan 28th, 2002 01:28 PM

My son will go to Seven Springs in March on a ski trip with his school . I'll interview him once he's back. Of course, I don't think he cares too much about the architecture. I meant to say that the aerial view looks like a huge apartment complex. What's it like on the ground?<BR>Also, in what ways is Hidden Valley quiet? We don't need thousands of people, discos and arcades, so peace is certainly a plus, boredom is not.