Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hi, need help urgently for airport transportation from LAX to Pasadena, and suggestion for things to do there (3 days)

Hi, need help urgently for airport transportation from LAX to Pasadena, and suggestion for things to do there (3 days)

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear all,

Hi, I really need your help right now. I've got this trip planned for months and one of the stop is Pasadena, L.A. ,just to visit my friend, and suddenly, the night before I depart, he called at the last minute and said he got some urgent matter and couldn't be there at the time I'm visiting. I'm sooooo upset... The only reason that I go there is him, but since I've already paid for the trip (airfare, hotel through priceline... etc) it is impossible to change at the last minute, so I need to get things going. My questions are, are there any Airport Shuttle Service go to and fro the LAX and Pasadena? If there is, how much is the fare? Do I have to make reservation first? and now I've got no company there, but I've heard that they have their Rail system recently, is there anywhere I can go with the Rail (I've got 3 days there). Any suggestions? These are all I need to know. Thank you all in advance. I really appreciate it.

Jim
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

anyone? Thanks.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM
ed

dearjim

There are several airport shuttles. The names are annoyingly similar so I will just list phone numbers
800 596 0301
800 262 1347
800 839 8881
800 201 1777

Oh well, you get the idea. You can call ahead and arrange for a pickup, or you can call from phones in the arrival hall . I would suggest calling ahead.

The last time we used one it was about $40.00 to Pasadena but that was for two.

It is about an hour ride.

The new Gold Line goes into downtown LA and from there you can get the Red Line to Hollywood if you should want but in my opinion there isn't a heck of a lot there.(I'm sure that I will get rocks thrown at me for that statment).

The Pasadena web site will have all sorts of information for you

Hope that you have a good time :-B.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ed
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Don't stress about it. When you arrive at the airport there are boards with postings on transportation. Also, check with Super Shuttle to see if they go to Pasadena.

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Mswitty1.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 11:22 AM

There are several shuttle services that work out of LAX to all parts of the LA metropolitan area. SuperShuttle is one. You DON'T have to pre-reserve a shuttle out of LAX. All you have to do is follow the Ground Transportation signs from your gate out to the Arrival level roadway; head to the Shared Ride Van area. There, a shuttle van expeditor will ask you where you're going and will tell you what color van to get onto. SuperShuttle will probably charge around $35 one way (wild guess). Going back to LAX, you WILL need to make reservations.

Pasadena is a fantastic town-- lots to do, pretty place. The Gold Line takes you to downtown LA, the Red Line then can get you to Hollywood. Without a car, you would need cabs or bus service to get to places like Santa Monica or the Sunset Strip. The Blue Line can get you to downtown Long Beach (only a couple of things of touristic interest there-- and I live there, so I know), then you can use OCTA to get to Orange County locations (including Disneyland, I think).
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 12:24 PM

I was in Pasadena briefly but wanted to stay longer. I can think of worse things than being stranded in Pasadena. Don't worry -- you will have a nice time just walking around. It had a vibrant interesting downtown, older, lots of charm.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks to rjw_lgb_ca and tandoori_girl, I'm a lot happy and less worry now.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Pasadena is a GREAT area! I'd live there if it weren't too hot in the summer. You can visit the Norton Simon Museum, the Pacific Asia Museum, the Huntington Library and Gardens (get details on these on the web to see if you want to go there). Cal Tech has lots of activities in the evenings, Plaid Tidings, a very funny musical play about a doo-wop group is currently at the Pasadena Playhouse; one of the best independent bookstores, Vromans, is on Colorado Blvd. Old Town Pasadena is great for browsing and shopping. There are dozens of great restaurants in all price ranges and cuisines etc, etc. You can easily keep busy in the Pasadena area alone (part of the larger San Gabriel Valley) without seeing other parts of LA. All kinds of music are available also. If you don't find out enough on the web, as soon as you get into town, get a copy of the free Pasadena Weekly and check it all out. Enjoy!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Diana805, this is just what I need.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 11:06 PM
hsv

dearjim,

feel lucky you get to go there!
Pasadena is probably my favorite section of L.A. Wonderful Old Town with nice restaurants- and good for a stroll in the evenings.
Do not miss Huntington Library and the Arboretum.
Santa Anita Race Track isn't far away (Arcadia), as is Descanso Gardens in La Canada/ Flintridge.
Beutiful Homes and nice parks most everywhere- do take a glance at the Rose Bowl, too.
I would advise you to rent a car, though, as L.A. just feels better that way- and considering the money you pay for the shuttle, it would even pay off pretty soon!
Enjoy it
hsv
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 02:53 PM
ed

dearjim--

Agree with all of the above, I also live in the San Gabriel Valley just east of Pasadena.

Specifically, shopping South Lake and the Paseo Pasdena is outstanding and also the Westfield Mall in Arcadia - next to the Santa Anita Race Track .

If you are into classical music you can take the Gold line to the Union station and then take DASH to the Disney Hall.

This has the advantage of not having to fight traffic and paying for parking.

Enjoy your trip and after you get back tell us about it. :-B