Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hi, how's my OR itinerary look? Plus, need help with coast hotels.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all. Thanks to all the good info on these boards, I've been able to put together an itinerary for a 6-day trip the first week in Oct. Have found tons of recos for Portland hotels, looking for Crater Lake area and coast recos. Am looking for ambience, character, romance (fireplace/views good) and comfy beds, as this is the first vacation my boyfriend and I are taking in awhile. Budget is flexible--would pay more to get more. B&B's, small hotels preferred--not interested in chain-type hotels or motels.

Plan to relax/hike/enjoy the scenery. I work in CA Wine Country, so not too interested in OR wine country this trip (want to see something other than grapes right now). Also interested in any special events in Portland 9/30-10/1, or recos for small jazz clubs, favorite haunts.

Sat & Sun--Portland, 5th Ave Suites
Mon--Mt Hood, Timberline Lodge
Tues--Crater Lake (I'm aware may be snowing--is it likely that the road around the lake would be closed?
Wed--Fri, drive up coast, flying out Fri pm After checking out these boards, probably stop in Brandon, Yachats, and stay somewhere b. Florence and Newport .

Thanks for your help--it's so easy to put a trip together with all the wisdom shared on these forums!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM

http://www.pova.org/event_calendar/

This is the Portland Oregan Visitors Assoc site, the events calendar page. Lots of things to choose from.

We just got back from Arch Cape which is 8 miles North of Cannon Beach, 4 miles South of Manzanita.
We stayed at the Inn at Arch Cape, www.inatarchcape.com.
Our room had a huge bed, fireplace with plenty of wood and a tiny kitchen .. about a blocks walk from the ocean. Very charming, lavender gardens outside the door..the view was of the gardens..bed was definitely comfy.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Like your itinerary, but it's a lot of ground to cover in six days.

I assume you've tried the Lodge at Crater Lake. Regardless of whether or not the road around the lake is closed, you should still be able to get up to Rim Village from the south entrance. So, as long as you're in the area, consider the Prospect Hotel: http://www.prospecthotel.com/. Not fancy, but maybe the best in the area. And a friend says they serve the best steak dinner he's had anywhere.

Suggest driving 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City to get to the coast. Beautiful drive, and you don't want to miss the coast between Brookings and Port Orford. Stay in Yachats; rugged, dramatic coastline. You wouldn't be disappointed with Overleaf Lodge: http://www.overleaflodge.com/.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM

Jimmy Mak's is probably the most popular Jazz venue. You can find a calendar of musicians playing those dates at http://www.jsojazzscene.org/

Bigger music events, Paul Simon is at the Rose Garden on the 30th www.rosequarter.com

The Portland Marathon runs on the 1st -- there's usually street music, etc. associated with that.

The 29th through the 1st, is the Greek Festival at the Greek Orthodox Church, always a fun time. www.goholytrinity.org
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM

The Prospect gets good reviews from many of my friends who have stayed there
and they agree the food is great.

Another more upscale place is the Steamboat Inn on the Umqua River - not far from Crater Lake
http://www.thesteamboatinn.com/

In the Bandon area you might enjoy
Wildspring Resort ( actually Port Orford) but not far to Bandon

http://www.wildspring.com/

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. Am getting a bit concerned about spending all my time in the car, and not having time to explore. My BF really wants to see Bend, and I really want to see Crater Lake, but are we allocating enough time to the Coast? Way I see it, we won't arrive until Wed evening, have just Thurs and Fri (our flights out are 8pm). If you had to give up one thing, would it be Mt Hood or Crater Lake??

Any hotel suggestions for Florence area?

Again, many thanks for your great suggestions!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:40 AM

The only oceanfront hotel in Florence is the Driftwood Shores - has a nice restaurant and bar overlooking the ocean.

I usually stay in Yachats which just a short ways north of Florence at the Adobe- also ocean front, restaurnt, bar
some of the rooms have kitchens. Along that same stretch is the Fireside or the Overleaf- the Overleaf sounds more like what you are interested in.

and since you are interested in romantic
check out this place in Depoe Bay

http://www.channelhouse.com/

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM

It's not too much further up the coast from Florence to Yachats--I'd drive the extra distance and stay at the Overleaf. I was there in March and just loved it.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM

<<If you had to give up one thing, would it be Mt Hood or Crater Lake??>>

If the weather's nice, it's a no-brainer; choose Crater Lake over Mt. Hood. But if clouds are covering Mt. Mazama, you won't see much of Crater Lake. It's really a roll of the dice. :-S

<<..are we allocating enough time to the Coast?>>

What's your itinerary on the coast? Since you voiced the concern, you'd probably more enjoy spending most of your time in one area than driving by sights and activities you won't have time to stop and enjoy. So, I'd suggest after Crater Lake (if you go there), drive straight to Yachats, and park yourselves there until Friday.

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM

With only six nights in Oregon, I think it is a mistake to use a big hunk of it going to Crater Lake when there are so many great options that don't require a tedious journey--the Columbia River Gorge, the Wine Country, and a leisurely visit to the coast from Astoria to Florence for instance.

I post this warning every time it is warranted, and it, unfortunately, usually met with posts that claim HTTY is all wet and that you can easily cram Crater Lake into your itinerary. However, CRAM is the operative word, and I wish you and your boyfriend to have a great time of the type you describe.

Happy Trains to You
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM

I don't think you're all wet, Happy Trails, but I do think Crater Lake is one of the wonders of the world and to come to Oregon and skip it, is a real mistake. DSNYC, if I were you, I would spend less time on the coast. It is all spectacular, but you don't need to see all of it. Beachbum's idea of driving directiy to Yachats from Crater Lake is a good one.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Happy Trails, I don't think you're all wet, I've been bothered about how long it takes to get to Crater, given how short our time in OR will be--and we want to relax and explore, not madly drive from one town to the next!! Some things are best left for the next visit!

But I loved Beachbum's advice, seconded by Renaissance Man, and that's how we're gonna handle it--if the weather forecast is great, we're going! And if not, we head straight to the coast for a more leisurely ride north.

Thanks for your input--it really helps to have so many Fodorites contribute their local knowledge!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Thanks, DSNYC.

In Cannon Beach we like to stay at Schooner's Cove, which has great ocean views and, out the back door, great restaurants, shopping, etc. (I assume you will find Elizabeth Inn on your own, if that is your type of place.)

In Yachats, Overleaf Lodge is a nice place that comes with a good breakfast. They have recently added a new wing in which all rooms have decks and great ocean views. Yachats is a good base for visiting Cape Perpetua and the Sea Lion Cave.

Happy Trails to You
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 08:56 AM
PMS

Good choice.

I would add that as beautiful and intriguing as Crater Lake is, it is not grandcanyonesque experience.