Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hey Scarlett -- what's the Charleston novel??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hey-scarlett-whats-the-charleston-novel-469418/)

JoJo1 Aug 23rd, 2004 06:15 PM

Hey Scarlett -- what's the Charleston novel???

Might be going to Charleston, too. Saw you mentioned you just read a novel about Charleston -- I love Southern fiction -- What was it????

sgirlie Aug 23rd, 2004 06:59 PM

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?

bonniebroad Aug 23rd, 2004 07:08 PM

sgirlie, "Midnight........" is set in Savannah! :-)

Scarlett Aug 23rd, 2004 07:53 PM

Hey, JoJo~
It was Islands by Ann Rivers Siddons :)

beachdreams Aug 24th, 2004 04:00 AM

Dorathea Benton Frank also writes novels that are set in Charleston. You might want to try "Sullivans Island", "Isle of Palms" or "Plantation: A lowcountry's Tale".

JoJo1 Aug 24th, 2004 05:47 AM

Thanks Scarlett and Beachdreams -- I guess I'm on top of this --- read them all -- Thanks

GoTravel Aug 24th, 2004 05:53 AM

All of Anne Rivers Siddons books are worth a read. My favorite is "Peachtree Road" or Up Island. The characters stay with you long after you've finished the book.

bonniebroad Aug 24th, 2004 06:08 AM

Anne Rivers Siddons books are terrific....... love them!

JoJo1 Aug 24th, 2004 06:11 AM

GoTravel -- my all time favorite is Peachtree Road, too.....

Statia Aug 24th, 2004 06:17 AM

I can also highly recommend "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. It takes place in both South Carolina (near Charleston)and Rome, Italy. Fabulous book.

carolyn Aug 24th, 2004 07:46 AM

Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley begins in Charleston.

beachdreams Aug 24th, 2004 08:23 AM

My favorite Ann Rivers book is "Colony". I have reread that one a thousand times. My next favorite is "Peachtree Road". Her books are so good.

While I am not fond of Alexandra Ripley's "Scarlett", I do love her "Charleston" and "Upon Leaving Charleston" books. If you like books like "Gone With the Wind", you should like those two as well.

GoTravel Aug 24th, 2004 09:06 AM

Beachdreams, was Colony the one set in Maine? If so, that was my favorite along with Peachtree Road. Which one was Up Island?

Thought Scarlett was worse than a Harliquin Romance. I read somewhere that Margaret Mitchell's family had commissioned Pat Conroy to write the sequel to Gone With The Wind. The publishing rights had expired for GWTW and the publishing houses had control of the book Scarlett. The MM estate never had any input on the first sequel.

GoTravel Aug 24th, 2004 09:12 AM

I found out I am wrong. The Mitchell Estate did pick author Ripley to penn the sequel to GWTW entitled Scarlett.

They were or are in negotiations with Pat Conroy to write another installment.

Whoodathunkit?

stellaluna Aug 24th, 2004 09:23 AM

love Anne Rivers Siddons books! my favorite is "Kings Oak" set in Georgia.
she is wonderful.
favorite Pat Conroy: "Lords of Discipline".

stellaluna Aug 24th, 2004 09:25 AM

Go Travel, "Colony" was set in Maine, and "Up Island" in Martha's Vineyard.
"Low Country" set in South Carolina is also very good.

beachdreams Aug 25th, 2004 07:02 AM

Sorry GoTravel. My internet went down at work. Stellaluna is correct. Colony was set in Maine and Up Island in the Martha's Vineyard.

I agree about Ripley's "Scarlett". However, I got so caught up in her other two Charleston books. I got as wrapped into the characters for those two as I did "Colony".

Birdie Aug 25th, 2004 11:31 AM

One of Conroy's first books was a semi-autobiographical one about teaching on a secluded island off the South Carolina coast. It was a great book but I can't remember the title.

bonniebroad Aug 25th, 2004 11:35 AM

I believe that was "Prince of Tides", wasn't it, Birdie? Loved it...

GoTravel Aug 25th, 2004 11:54 AM

No, Prince of Tides was one of his later books and he was more of a coach than a teacher. Can't remember the name either. I think The Boo was his first.