Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hey New Yorkers...is Balduccis still alive in Greenwich Village (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hey-new-yorkers-is-balduccis-still-alive-in-greenwich-village-319954/)

LilMsFoodie May 23rd, 2003 05:17 AM

Hey New Yorkers...is Balduccis still alive in Greenwich Village

My niece has a fantastic NYU apartment overlooking Washington Square for the summer so I went online to open a small account for her at Balduccis. Online store is kaputz. LMF

LN May 23rd, 2003 05:33 AM

Hi Limsfoodie

The Village store has closed and will reopen at a new location but the store on W 66th is still up and running.

Hope this helps!!
Ellen

LilMsFoodie May 23rd, 2003 05:37 AM

thanks...66th is a little far from Washington Square. Time for plan B. Think that will be lunch for her and her roomates somewhere close. Any suggestions, let me know.

I was thinking Provence or Balthazar.

Statia May 23rd, 2003 06:28 AM

How 'bout Dean & Deluca?

lucienne78 May 23rd, 2003 06:47 AM

Dean and Deluca isn't that great.

MFNYC May 23rd, 2003 09:23 AM

Citarella's moved into the Balducci's location. I haven't been in this branch but the others seem very good.

JohnK May 23rd, 2003 09:27 AM

Hi Lil,
Buy them lunch at Gotham Bar & Grill on E. 12th Street between 5th Ave. and University Place. It's one of the best restaurants in New York but they have a $20.03 lunch special that makes it very affordable.

janie May 23rd, 2003 09:53 AM

Try Healthy Pleasures, a mini chain (3 stores) of health food/gourmet (with great salad bar) that has a location on University Place around 13th street, well within striking distance from NYU

LilMsFoodie May 25th, 2003 05:04 AM

Gotham it is. My niece is a little foodie as well and will love the lunch there. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd love to know why Balduccis moved uptown after so many years.

JohnK May 25th, 2003 11:55 AM

Hi again Lil,
Balducci's didn't really move uptown. They opened a branch uptown. The Balducci family sold out to a grocery company that came in and lower the quality and upped the already very high prices. Many of us Villagers stopped shopping there and they closed. Balducci's claimed they shut the store because it was too small and needed too much renovation (ha!). It has been replaced by Citarella. Enjoy Gotham Bar & Grill!

LilMsFoodie May 25th, 2003 12:50 PM

John K...I always had a soft spot for Balduccis. I had to find it back in the 70's to get some ingredients for catering that were unavailable to me elsewhere. They were very kind and mailed me whatever I needed, properly packaged, etc.

So now they are upper West head to head with Zabars. The last time I was at their Greenwich store was right before 9/11/01 as my daughter's boyfriend lived about 3 houses away. It was lively and still wonderful.

Sorry to hear it has changed hands. LMF