Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hey Fodor's editors, your new system has some flaws.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've now logged in 4 times this morning. I originally logged in on the Europe page, but needed to log-in again after trying to send a reply to a post. Of course, the post I wrote was deleted once I got bounced to the log-in screen.

Fine. Switch to the US board. Guess what, I type a reply to a post and get sent to the log-in screen, again, when I try and send it. Log-in again, posts disappears again.

Same thing happens again on the Asia page.

So, when I decide to write this post, guess what I need to do before being allowed to start the process, yes, log-in.

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:33 AM

SAME THING HAPPENING TO ME-- driving me nuts!!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:36 AM

I'm having problems also. This is my 3 try to post and logging in.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:37 AM

I started to write that I wasn't having that problem and then, darn it, now the same thing is happening to me!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Caragh

Thank you for reporting this bug. Our tech team is working to solve the problem as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can try closing and reopening your browser to post a message or reply. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Sincerely,
Caragh Rockwood
senior editor

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Dan

I had the same problem until (on Netscape) I "unblocked" cookies using the Cookie Manager until "Tools." Don't ask me how this works but it did solve the problem for me!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Dan

above post should read "under" Tools. You'd think it was 6am the way I am typing today!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

I've now logged in 6 times while trying to post!. And yes, I did click on the "save on this computer box."

Honestly Fodors, if you want to kill this site, that's the way to do it.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 09:44 AM

IF using INTERNET EXPLORER-- go to:

TOOL and then Internet Options
Click on PRIVACY and go to the little arrow and slide it all the way to the bottom to ENABLE ALL COOKIES--

THEN this site works!!

THANKS PATRICK- you were a major stress reliever today with the Netscape heads up-- it just took me a while to figure out how to work the IE options....

YEY YEY YEY YEY YEY YEY YEY
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 09:48 AM

Patrick - Where is PRIVACY? I couldn't find it...
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Andy-
the routine you suggest will work but it opens up your machine to all sorts of cookies, including those that you may not want. To preserve some control you can do the following:
Click on Tools - Internet options - privacy - then either
a. click "advanced" and set to be prompted before accepting first party cookies (I always block third party cookies) and when Fodors asks to set a cookie on your machine click to allow it.
-OR-
b. in the lower portion of the Privacy dialog box is a section labeld "Web sites" - click "Edit". This will open a list of the sites that you either allow or block. Be sure that you haven't previously marked fodors as "always block", then enter fodors as an "always allow" site.
This should take care of the problem while still preseving some security. Now if we could just get spell check in these frames...
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Am I the Patrick you guys are referring to? Don't ask me, this whole system is driving me crazy -- working one minute and then immediately after on the next post getting caught in the registration loop again. Fodor editors answered by email by saying I needed to unlock cookies, but if that was locked, how could it sometimes remember me from day to day, and already exhibit my name on the header?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm no techie (my knowledge ends at the on/off switch) but I do know that cookies can be used to track my internet browsing, whether it's on their site or not. If I hit enable cookies, aren't I now giving them consent monitor my computer usage?

Personally,I'd rather not use the Fodor's site than to allow them to build a marketing file that can then be sold or used to send me a bunch of junk e-mails.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Brutforce

All I will say is the board is markedly improved now that registration is required.

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:18 AM

I'm very happy Fodor's now requires registration. However, when I try to sign-in, the password never takes. I'm told I have the wrong password. This isn't true. Fodor's then assigns me a new password and it works the first time but doesn't after I sign out and sign in another time. I've written down all the passwords Fodor's sent me so I know it's not me. Is there some software bug here? This is killing the spontaneity of trying to respond to various posts.

Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I didn't want registration but I was willing to put up with it. After today, I'm not so sure I feel the same. What a PITA. And I am not going to unlock "cookies". Its bad enough that I had to give them my email. I don't have to unlock anything for any other website, why do I have to for Fodors???
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Cookies are not harmful. All they do is store information in an ordinary text file on YOUR hardrive at websites YOU choose to leave info with and it's always harmless info like your name. Other websites can't get to these cookies because they would have to write scripts looking for the specific name of the cookie. Look for the cookies folder on your hardrive and open them up. Nothing there but useless info.

Now, as far as the basic message of this post, yes, it is kind of loopy even when allowing cookies.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:12 AM

To Seamus- I tried BOTH of your suggestions and when I apply them, then the fodors site itself is almost impossible to get on-- and forget about posting.....email me to explain this better as I am not as literate as you--

To Jungle Cat--
Email me direct as you seem way more computer literate than me....

[email protected]
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:13 AM

I have no privacy pick under tools - internet options either. Oh where can it be?

klq
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:28 PM
peg

To klq:

Go to tools-internet options (last on the menu)-security-click on internet-at the bottom you will see custom level-click and scroll down. You will see cookies options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -