Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hertz closed for Labor Day Holiday? (Santa Monica) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hertz-closed-for-labor-day-holiday-santa-monica-1049316/)

KayF Jun 28th, 2015 05:47 PM

Hertz closed for Labor Day Holiday? (Santa Monica)

Hi, we have a 3 week holiday in California in September and I am trying to get costs from the Hertz website. It seems both locations in Santa Monica will be closed on Mon 5 Sept -
"This location will be temporarily closed. Please adjust your pick-up or select an alternate location."

I assume this is because of the Labor Day Holiday. Or am I missing something?

I think we'll have to pick up the car on Sunday 6 Sept instead of Monday and find somewhere to park it until the morning, unless someone has another good idea? We will be heading up towards Yosemite.

Kay

J62 Jun 28th, 2015 06:01 PM

It's less than 10miles from Santa Monica to LAX - picking up a car there is an option.

dbdurand Jun 28th, 2015 08:59 PM

Complete the following sentence. I have to rent from Hertz because......

Not being nasty. There are many alternatives.

KayF Jun 28th, 2015 09:46 PM

Thanks J62, that's an option, it will just take us longer and probably cost more due to airport fees.

dbdurand - I know there are many other companies out there but we have used Hertz all over the world and not had any issues with them, unlike other hire car companies who have ranged between appalling and awful. If you have suggestions of other companies who are reputable and will be open on Monday Labor Day, could you let me know?

Thanks, Kay

Dukey1 Jun 29th, 2015 04:10 AM

I suppose you could do a hotwire or priceline thing and I agree that ANY on-airport agency is going to charge more due to the concession fees, etc., etc. but I'm like you: I STAY with companies which have consistently provided good service.

Dukey1 Jun 29th, 2015 04:12 AM

And to dbdurand: this is NOT helpful and sounds like some of those ridiculous TripAdvisor "reviews" that have the following words: "There are better places out there" but none are actually named.

So, you got a better idea for the poster? Then how about saying EXACTLY what company you know is so much better, OK?

Jean Jun 29th, 2015 01:03 PM

KayF, I know what you mean about Hertz, but in this case I'd look at Avis which has a rental location (as opposed to a desk in a hotel or a storefront office without cars on site) on Broadway in Santa Monica. According to a search on their website, this location will be open on Monday, Sept. 7th.

KayF Jun 29th, 2015 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone. Jean, I will check out Avis and compare costs. I had thought of going to the Hertz depot at the Loews Hotel because it's a short walk from our hotel and seems convenient. Not sure whether they would have cars there or whether we'd then have to go to a bigger outlet to pick up the car (and maybe we should just go there first and save time?).

Kay

Jean Jun 29th, 2015 03:37 PM

I don't think the Hertz desk at Loews is open on that Monday. I doubt the cars are kept on-site, but they might deliver your reserved car to be there when you arrive at the pick-up time.

When comparing costs, keep in mind that if you pick up a car on Sunday you'll pay an extra rental day (or partial) and most likely the cost of one night's parking. Of course, if you pick up the car on Sunday, you'll be able to get an earlier start on Monday.

clarkgriswold Jun 29th, 2015 03:39 PM

Hertz and Avis local offices will both pick you up, so if the office is a mile or two away don't fret. Civic Center parking lot in Santa Monica is the cheapest, I think around $5 overnight, but it's probably ten blocks walk from your hotel.