Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hershey Park with 2 little ones? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hershey-park-with-2-little-ones-645160/)

rungirl2002 Sep 8th, 2006 10:07 AM

Hershey Park with 2 little ones?

Hi- I am planning a trip (maybe more like a family reunion) to Hershey Park this time next year and would like to stay in their hotel or lodge. My question is, we'll have two little ones 1.5 years and almost 3...am I crazy? Is the park good for those ages? Which hotel would you stay in? Thanks! Sarah

J62 Sep 8th, 2006 10:30 AM

I do not recommend Hershey Park for little ones. There are just a few rides which are suitable for them - basically the same kiddie rides you see at the town carnival. Most of the park is geared towards older ones - roller coasters, etc. The entrance fee for just a few rides is way out of line.

I also do NOT recommend Hershey Lodge hotel. Rooms are no better than your basic Super8 or other roadside hotel, and hotel ammenities are also nothing special. Save your money and stay at a newer chain property like Hampton Inn, or one of the suite type hotels (don't recall exactly what is in the area)

MelissaBeckoff Sep 8th, 2006 12:44 PM

Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster would be better for your age group
or
Knoebels in Elysburg

melissa

leahinsc Sep 8th, 2006 01:33 PM

I agree with the other poster - Dutch Wonderland is more appropriate for that age. It would be a lot to pay for just a few rides. You can take them to Chocolate World but I doubt they would get it.

Dick Sep 9th, 2006 03:20 AM

What makes this board intersting is there are different opinions.

I think the 3 yr old would love
Hershey Park. Unlike othere parks, I have always felt that Hershey was geared more toward younger kids as opposed to older teens that want thrill rides.

Over a third of the rides are identified as "kiddie rides"....rides which older kids would consider to be "lame". Many of the kiddie rides havent changed in probably 50 yrs.

http://tinyurl.com/qfccq

I think the entertainment would also be appealing. I can't say how much the 1.5 one would get of of it,,,but they get in for free.

Hershey Lodge has grown into a large convention hotel. I have stayed there many times over the years and would stay there again. As for a Super8, no thanks, I'll pass.

If you do go to Hershey Lodge, consider asking for one of the original older (but remodeled) rooms....they are much larger than the newer rooms.

Kay2 Sep 9th, 2006 08:29 AM

What I do like about HP for young and old is the kiddie rides are scattered in groups around the park so some in a group could go on a roller coaster while a parent takes small ones on the small planes or other kiddie rides in the same section of the park.

However, 1.5 year old will not be able to get on even most of the kiddie rides. 2+ will be very limited as well. Many of the kiddie rides are for kindergarten-elementary school age.

The big expansion underway is to add a waterpark.

J62 Sep 9th, 2006 10:08 AM

My biggest problem with Hershey park is not that there are no rides, it's the cost factor. Each adult must pay ~$45 admission, so even for 2 two year olds (free admission) parents will pay $90 admission. This time next year the older child will be 3, with an admission price of $25. When my kids were toddlers they were good for about 2-3hrs at an amusement park max then all they wanted to do was play quietly, swing on a swing or swim in a pool for the rest of the day.

Same thing for Hershey lodge hotel - rooms are fine, but price is > $150/night. There is nothing about the hotel that deserves such a premium price, i.m.o.

But as Dick said, that's the beauty of this forum, two different travelers can have very different opinions.

rungirl2002 Sep 17th, 2006 07:16 AM

Thank you very much...I think we will find an alternative for next year and save Hershey until they are 4 and 5 or so!

I appreciate all of the advice/suggestions.

Sarah