Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Here's my itinerary for D.C. and Virginia...What do you think??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Toni

After many helpful suggestions from you all we have narrowed down our days and choices for our first trip to Virginia and D.C.

I will start making reservations next week for our March 31st departure so we can get the least expensive room in the nicer places. Please let me know what you think of this schedule.

We will fly into Orly...the plane lands about 4-5 in the afternoon. We will rent a car and drive out of the city to the Manassas area and spend the first night. Tour Manassas that morning for several hours and then leisurely drive south to Lexington for two nights, staying at Llewellyn Lodge. (Fodors mentions that the lodge is in town and just a short walk to the historic sites) In Lexington we are interested in seeing Lee Chapel, VMI museum, and walking a bit of the Appalachian trail.
From there we will go to Charlottesville and stay 2 nights at either the Silver Thatch Inn or the Inn at Monticello. We are interested in seeing Monticello and walking through The University of Virginia.

From here we will continue on to Williamburg without reservations and wing it for two nights. We are traveling the first part of April which from what I have read isn't terribly crowded. (?)
We are interested in visiting one of the plantations (Shirley) and spending a day in Williamsburg with maybe dinner in Jamestown or Yorktown (Does this sound reasonable?)

From there we will head north for the last 4 days and 3 nights in D.C. where we will stay in the Dupont Circle area at a B&B called the Inn at Dupont Circle. (We will have reservations there) Fodors mentions this B&B, as well as Travel and Leisure magazine, as a good place to stay, nicely located in regard to restaurants and the metro.

That's it! Please help me with any feedback that you think might fine tune this plan.
One questions I did have...Do you think staying two nights in Lexington is with while or should we just stay in Charlottesville and take day trips from there??? There seemed like quite a bit to do in Lexington which warranted staying on site but please let me know your thought on this.

Thank you all so much again for all your previous input.

I don't know how I ever planned a vacation without Fodors and all the nice people. (It sure wasn't as much fun!)

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Toni

What I meant to say was we are flying into DULLES!!! Sorry...wrong continent.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Susan

The first part of April should not be crowded in Williamsburg unless it is the week before or after Easter. I haven't looked at my calendar. You can wing it but you'll end up at one of the hotel chains. There is a Wmsbg B&B site. There are also B&B's on Rt. 5, the road the plantations are on. You might also want to look into the historic house accomodations that Colonial Williamsburg runs. They are probably higher priced but might suit you since you can get one little house with a couple of bedrooms. There is something very special about Duke of Gloucester street in the morning or evening without the tourists. You can also look at the hotels towards Busch Gardens, the Marriott, the Courtyard, and I think a Days Inn. They are off the main touristy drag of Richmond Rd. You won't find a restaurant in Jamestown but Cities Grill and Courtyard Cafe on Rt 5 (which parallels Jamestown Rd.) are locals' favorites. Indian Fields Tavern, 1/2 hr away on Rt 5 near the plantations is good for lunch or dinner. If you are in Yorktown for dinner you must go to Rivers Inn in Gloucester. Its 10 minutes across the bridge. Call them for directions. When you do go to Jamestown remember that there are two destinations. The Jamestown settlement is associated with the Jamestown/Yorktown Ass. and is a recreation with an Indian village, the ships, and the fort. The National park is the actual site with archaeological digs and a nice drive around the island. I highly recommend the drive on the parkway from Jamestown to Yorktown. It will take 30-45 minutes. It will give you a good view of our tidewater natural area.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Sheila

Just wanted to let you know... We planned a trip to DC earlier this Spring and had a very difficult time receiving communication from the Inn at Dupont Circle. Repeatedly not returning phone calls, e-mails, etc... Quite concerning.

Check out the Tabard Inn- it may be a safer bet.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Ruth

I'm assuming that you are landing in Dulles on March 31, which is a Sunday. Your plan to drive right out to Manassas should be fine then, since you won't be in weekday rush hour traffic.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:36 AM
ncgrrl

Hi Toni,

While in Lexington, you should visit the home of Stonewall Jackson. Near to Lexington is the Natural Bridge park. You should also try to drive park of the Blue Ridge Parkway which starts in Staunton, Va.

Also while in Charlottesville, there is another historic home near Monticello. I think it's the home of James Madison, James Marshall, or James Monroe (some famous Virginia guy whose name I'm having trouble remembering right now). The UVA campus is gorgeous and the azaleas and dogwoods might be in bloom while you are there.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Toni

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Toni

to the top

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:00 AM
steve

The other president's home is Ashlawn - Highland, which is Monroe's home. It is very nice, but can be a bit disappointing after seeing Monticello. Montpelier(Madison's home) is 30 minutes north of Charlottesville, near Orange, and is also a nice stop.

Think about staying downtown in Charlottesville. You'll be in the car a lot otherwise. The 2 inns you mentioned are both very nice, but the Silver Thatch is just off a pretty congested commercial section of Rt. 29, and the Inn at Monticello is not at Monticello, but a mile or so away from it. There is a heck of alot going on downtown, with great shops(especially bookstores)and a really vibrant restaurant scene. The big hotel is the Omni, but it has a mediocre reputation. Two good inns are The Inn at Court Square and 200 South Street Inn. Both are within walking distance to everything downtown, and about a mile to the University of Virginia. Go a google search and see if you can track down a great Washington Post article on Downtown Charlottesville that was in the weekend section in late June.

You'll be happier with a reservation to Williamsburg. My 3 choices to stay would be to: 1. spend some money and stay at The Williamsburg Inn, a very nice grande dame of a hotel; 2. spend less and stay at the very convenient but more generic Williamsburg Lodge; or 3. stay on the upper floors in one of the historic buildings - rustic, but memorable. I think you can reserve any of them on their website. Make sure you also make reservations for dinner. It's fun to eat at one of the taverns, but they do book up. The food's good, not great, but still worthwhile.

Bring a raincoat. You could hit a stretch of bad weather in late March. You could also hit really glorious weather, but you may be a bit early for the dogwoods.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Toni

Thank you for the information about staying in "downtown" Charlottesville. I think that is a good idea and I am looking into the two inns that you mentioned. I like the B&B experience so will probably pass on the Omni. I would like to stay in CW proper but I don't know if they will take a reservation for one night only. I'll call and see.

The poster that mentioned the communication probably at "Inn at Dupont Square". Other then then that, did you find the inn to be nice? i.e. good location, comfortable rooms etc.?

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Nancy

The Tarvern at Indian Fields and the Rivers Inn on the water- are wonderful restaurants. Don't get sucked in by the Trellis-- good food, but small portions and very expensive. Try Barrets instead. The Willimasburg Inn is wonderful. Drive the colonial parkway to Yorktown ( across from Gloucester Point) it is a bautiful drive.