Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Here we go, thank you all so much. (watch out for 2 excited Aussies) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/here-we-go-thank-you-all-so-much-watch-out-for-2-excited-aussies-807962/)

aussiedreamer Sep 27th, 2009 01:04 PM

Here we go, thank you all so much. (watch out for 2 excited Aussies)

Well after 12 months planning its come down to 3 days. We are so excited. I have so many trip reports and answers to all my questions printed out and 'filed' in separate plastic envelopes. From where to eat, how to use the subway, places to stay (I have a lot of places booked thanks to all your great help) which museums to see, what wineries to visit the list goes on and on.

But mostly I'm armed with knowledge and confidence thanks to you all. This is going to be our 'best' trip yet, I'm sure of it. But would you believe I haven't started packing yet? Usually I'm very organised but this time is different, I 'retired' from my job two weeks ago, so I don't have the same time 'stress's' as I have had on previous trips. But today is the day. We've finally cleaned up from the second dust storm in a week and I'm ready to get serious.

Expect a 'killer' report by the end of November and I hope to help someone the way I have been helped.

Bye all.

Centralparkgirl Sep 27th, 2009 01:12 PM

aussie - looking forward to your report. Have a fantastic trip!
Bon Voyage!

nelsonian Sep 27th, 2009 03:25 PM

Have a fabulous time, I am very envious.

tchoiniere Sep 27th, 2009 03:55 PM

Good luck with your trip and hope you have a wonderful time.

starrs Sep 27th, 2009 04:48 PM

Have a great time! Can't wait to read all about it! :-)

travelbuff Sep 27th, 2009 05:30 PM

Please let me know when you are in New York, and I'd love to meet up. Email me and I will send you my phone number. [email protected]

aussiedreamer Sep 27th, 2009 06:42 PM

Woh!!! Thanks travelbuff, will do.

aussiedreamer Sep 27th, 2009 06:42 PM

OOOPS I also meant to say thanks all for the kind wishes :-)

ElendilPickle Sep 27th, 2009 07:03 PM

Have a great time, aussiedreamer!

Lee Ann

kiwi_rob Sep 27th, 2009 08:52 PM

All the best, aussiedreamer.

We got back on Friday after our trip through the Canyonlands, 8 days driving in California and 5 days in San Francisco. We are still tired, but the smile hasn't left our faces yet.

Have a great time. I'm sure you will.

Rob.

ac291 Sep 27th, 2009 09:20 PM

we just got back yesterday!!
we had a FAB time but its great to be back in Sydney too!!

have a wonderful time aussiedreamer - you will enjoy it....i must admit we didnt take much time to 'relax' and were on the constant go trying to cram it all in...so make sure you do take time to chill and just enjoy it....there's a wonderful buzz about the city!

aussiedreamer Sep 27th, 2009 10:04 PM

Thanks guys I remember you both planning. Woo Hoo now its my turn. Hope you didn't get too big a surprise when you got back to Sydney, was your house covered in dust?

bennnie Sep 28th, 2009 07:35 AM

Have a fabulous time. I hope you love it here!

MichelleY Sep 28th, 2009 08:13 AM

Have a great time and keep us posted. Could you list a brief run down of your itinerary?

MY

aussiedreamer Sep 28th, 2009 03:22 PM

Thanks MY, here you go.....

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-you-think.cfm

this pretty much covers the east coast plan.

AD

ac291 Sep 28th, 2009 03:45 PM

yes it sure was - Red Dust everywhere!
spent all day sunday dusting and mopping the floors!

ksucat Sep 28th, 2009 04:32 PM

have fun and remember that we tip a lot higher than down under at restaurants..around 15%- 20% of the total bill...its not included in the bill..unless stated and that is for parties of 6+ or more.
Have a great time!

ac291 Sep 28th, 2009 05:08 PM

oh yes - you need to remember to tip right...its such a hassle though, i really dont get their systems, why dont they just pay people better? its pretty shocking what people earn in the service industry?!