Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Henry Ford Museum (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/henry-ford-museum-177382/)

Richard Mar 21st, 2002 12:58 PM

Henry Ford Museum

I have always been curious about the Henry Ford Museum in Greenfield, Michigan. I am planning a trip from Chicago around Lake Michigan. Would a side trip to Greenfield be worthwhile or a waste of time?

aperson Mar 21st, 2002 02:43 PM

I'm confused about where you're going...from Chicago to where? If you're in the Detroit area, Greenfield Village is definitely worth a look if you're interested in automobile history, etc. The estate is quite grand. But I wouldn't drive four hours just to see it.<BR><BR>

Richard Mar 21st, 2002 02:54 PM

Sorry. My plans are to circle Lake Michigan starting and ending in Chicago. I did not plan on going to the Detroit area, but was just wandering about the Ford Museum. Is it really something unique, or pretty much the same as most other museums depicting a certain era in time?

Patrick Mar 21st, 2002 09:16 PM

I'm a little confused by the statement above about "the estate" being quite grand. Not sure what estate we're talking about as there is none at Greenfield Village, which is a collection of historic buildings moved and/or rebuilt in a "village" type setting. The Henry Ford Museum next door to Greenfield Village is filled with many exhibits most dealing with either transportation or "modern" production. Both are interesting and you can easily spend the better part of two days there. They offer a joint ticket for the two separate attractions. Fairlane which is several miles away is the Henry Ford Estate; maybe that is what the "estate" comment refers to.

Brian Kilgore Mar 21st, 2002 10:18 PM

I went when I was eight years old. I remembered it as a great place, so I went again when I was 50. It was even better than the first time.<BR><BR>It helps if you like cars and trucks, and are intereted in the history of American popular culture.<BR><BR>I'd drive two hours out of my way to see it.<BR><BR>BAK

Shawn Mar 23rd, 2002 02:17 PM

To clarify, the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village are in Dearborn, MI and are two separate places, although they are right next to each other. I do not have any particular interest in cars, etc but think both are fun/interesting. However, this is not exactly a "side trip" as it would take you a good 3 hours min to drive one way across the state (depending of course on which highway you take and from which point you leave the lake to head east).

Gail Mar 23rd, 2002 03:38 PM

To clarify even further, the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village are 2 separate places but next to each other. Each would take 1 day to enjoy, but the Village is much more enjoyable. It is like touring a New England village and in some houses there are activities one can participate in---candle making; candy making, etc.<BR><BR>Henry Ford's house, Thomas Edison's NJ laboratory; The Wright Bros. bicycle shop; Lincoln's chair from the Washington Theatre where he was assasinated are just a few of the famous items in the village as well as a Riverboat, a carousel, a working farm which younger visitors would enjoy.<BR><BR>Although I spent most of my childhood just a mile away, I'm not sure I would drive across the state unless combining it with other actvities in the area such as a Tiger's baseball game or a visit to Ann Arbor.