Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help! Would you take your kids to see these shows? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-would-you-take-your-kids-to-see-these-shows-587033/)

Momof5 Jan 31st, 2006 03:14 PM

Help! Would you take your kids to see these shows?

Hi
I am taking my kids to NYC in March and have tickets to Hairspray and Wicked. But wondered if kids 11-15 would like Putnam County SPelling Bee or Jersey Boys. I assume you all have seen it and can tell me if it is ok for kids who come from a somewhat conservative life. I would like to go see either of these shos myelf. Thanks for your candid advice.

nytraveler Jan 31st, 2006 04:35 PM

I think any of the shows would be fine for these kids - unless they're so sheltered they never see a TV or movie - or go to school with other kids.

KathyK Jan 31st, 2006 05:53 PM

I would recommend Wicked and Putnam County Spelling Bee for the ages of your kids. Jersey Boys is pretty much sold our on weekends for the next few months.

KathyK Jan 31st, 2006 07:03 PM

I just re-read your post and see that you have already bought tickets for Hairspray and Wicked. Are you thinking of adding another show? That's alot of shows for kids. How long will you be in NYC? There are alot of other things to do, although the theatre is a great way to spend your time, if that is your interest.

Momof5 Jan 31st, 2006 10:55 PM

Thank You for your advice. My family loves to see shows, my girls do musical theatre. I also wanted to see a few shows I have not seen before. We are in NY for a week. Just thought this would be a nice alternative to Lion King and they have seen Beauty and the Beast. I wonder if Spamalot would be too much for my older teen daughter?
Thanks

mclaurie Feb 1st, 2006 04:16 AM

There is one song in Spelling Bee titled "My Unfortunate Erection". You decide whether your kids can handle it.

TarheelsInNj Feb 1st, 2006 06:05 AM

This is a bit of a tough choice, because (as you know!) there's often a huge difference between 11 and 15. I would say that the 15-year-old would like Spelling Bee, but not sure about the younger kids. It's a very funny and candid look at adolescence, but I'm just not sure it would be as funny until you've lived through it.

Jersey Boys is fantastic, but there is some harsh language and "adult themes," as the guys all come from a blue-collar NJ background (no criticism there, I'm from NJ myself!) It's a very hot show right now, so you'd definitely want to check on availability before you decide.

When exactly are you coming? Disney's new musical, Tarzan begins previews March 24, so you could think about that one.

Another I'd recommend is the off-Broadway show "Altar Boyz." It's about a Christian boy band, and is staged like you're attending a concert. It's a lot of fun, very funny, and would be great for your age group.

Momof5 Feb 1st, 2006 10:25 AM

Hi
Thanks again, I love this site because everyone gives me straight talk and I listen and take heed.

I think I would die in Spelling Bee when that song came on.... we are from Utah and errection does not come up a lot in our language. But maybe I will take one of my older kids.

I want to see Jersey Boys soooo bad. You see Tommy (the drummer in the band) way back when was good friends of our family. He attened my wedding and his nephew was my ring bearer. Sorry I will stop the speech now but as you can see I really want to see the show. May I ask what the adult themes are? Before I take a kid along. I know my 11 year old saw the video on Broadway.com and wants to see it badly. But not if it is inappropriate for her.

I will check out Alter Boys, is it good? It sounds like it is.

Again my deepest thanks. Because of everyone on this site last year I had a fantastic trip. By the way any ideas on Spamalot?

TarheelsInNj Feb 1st, 2006 10:53 AM

Hi Momof5!

If you're dying to see Jersey Boys, then I say go for it- you will love it! With that kind of personal connection to the story, you'll have an even better time. The adult themes are what you might expect if you know the Four Seasons' story- women/sex and crime, mostly. But some of that may go over an 11-year-old's head anyway.

I really enjoyed Altar Boyz, and it could be a fun alternative for you all. The show is also a bit cheaper, because it's off-Broadway. You may also be able to find discounted tickets on BroadwayBox.com.

KathrynT Feb 1st, 2006 11:43 AM

We took our daughter and son (ages 16 and 13) to see both Putnam County Spelling Bee and Spamalot last summer. They LOVED both and still talk about them frequently as being one of the highlights of our trip.

Now, we do live in the San Francisco Bay Area so they are not the most sheltered of children (the language was not new to them) but we are a relatively conservative family.

One unexpected treat happened by the stage door after Spamalot. David Hyde Pierce unassumingly signed multiple autographs while chatting with the fans -- a real thrill for my kids!

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Jersey Boys.

Have a great trime!

Lexma90 Feb 1st, 2006 12:05 PM

We were considering taking my 10-year-old son to Spamalot last year when in NYC. We had him watch the movie, Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail first, to see what he thought. He liked it ok, but didn't really get the British humor of a lot of the jokes. He chose to see Wicked instead, and loved it. You could have your kids watch Holy Grail, and see what they think.

TarheelsInNj Feb 1st, 2006 12:32 PM

Regarding Spamalot, are you sure tickets are available in March? I would look into that first, before spending too much time researching the show.

I do think that it is a show that can appeal to a broad audience. It is loosely based on The Holy Grail, with plenty of inside jokes and scenes taken from the film. However, it has a lot of added slapstick humor, storylines and jokes that make it more appealing to the masses!

dsquared Feb 1st, 2006 03:33 PM

I found Spamalot to be very, very funny. Is it appropriate for your children? I'd suggest a look at the website where I found this synopsis:
"Telling the legendary tale of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and their quest for the Holy Grail, Monty Python's SPAMALOT features a chorus line of dancing divas and knights, flatulent Frenchmen, killer rabbits and one legless knight." http://www.montypythonsspamalot.com/ Take a look at the site and see what you think.

Pajama Game, with Harry Connick, Jr. and Kelli O'Hara will be opening in February. Watch for reviews; that might be a good musical for you.

Edye Feb 1st, 2006 04:29 PM

I do think they will love Wicked and Hairspray. I would add Jersey Boys based on your personal connection. My next show is Ring of Fire!

Momof5 Feb 2nd, 2006 12:47 AM

Hi
THANK YOU! Great advice again. Having my kids watch the Holy Grail is a great idea.

You are right I need to see if tickets to these shows are even available.

Is it true what I read that Jersey Boys talks about Tommy and his Brother Nick. And when I watched the video of Jersey Boys never once did I see Tommy play the drums. But at his home (15 years ago) he had photos of him and drumming. Just curious.... I thought maybe I was crazy to think he was the drummer.

I love hearing what all of your kids thought of these shows. Thanks again! Any restuarant ideas?

TarheelsInNj Feb 2nd, 2006 06:01 AM

Yes, Jersey Boys tells the story of how the Four Seasons came to be- Franki, Bob Gaudio, Tommy, and Nick Massi. Originally, Tommy's brother Nick was in the band, but then was replaced when he spent a bit of time in jail (at least, that's true in the show!)

Tommy wasn't the drummer in the show- in fact, none of them was (they had backup players). I don't know enough about the "real" Four Seasons to comment on the accuracy of that though!