help with what to do Sunday night before a flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be flying out at midnight on a Sunday night from Anchorage next July. Once we eat dinner, what else is there to do? We are not drinkers so bar hopping is out--any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!
Sandy
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:50 PM

I guess you realize that it will be bright as day yet at midnight, so this isn't an "after dark" kind of question. There are wonderful walks you can do anywhere in town, particularly along the water. There are also some fun live shows in town -- sort of music hall or gold mining shows, as well as theatre.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:40 AM

You might find that you don't eat lunch and dinner until later than usual. We frequently didn't eat until around 8pm. Or on your departure day, have a mid-afternoon snack so you can have a late dinner. The Title Wave Bookstore in Anchorage is like a large Borders with reading areas and a snack bar. It stays open until 7pm on Sundays.
We enjoyed the Trolley Tour which takes one hour. The website says the last tour is at 6pm but I would double-check that time.
Patrick's idea is good. I wish we had visited this theater for a show of Aurora pictures but we didn't spend any time in Anchorage this visit.
http://www.thealaskacollection.com/page39.htm
There was a long line at security when we flew home in July. I would get to the airport by 10PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:19 PM

Anchorage is a very spread out city and if you are planning on staying downtown, a cab to the airport will run $20+++ Why no rent a car for the day and at least see/do something of interest, better try to add more days- interior Alaska isn't a frequent trip for most- take advantage of being there. With a rental car you can just drive back to the airport - allow a 2 hour window- it's a very crowded congested airport. Request their visitor guide- www.anchorage.net
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great ideas. We will have a car and will turn it in at the airport. After reading Patrick's post, I started looking for places to go and found not a lot was open on Sunday night. I did find a place called the Sourdough Mining Co. that has a show and is a restaurant. Has anyone been there???
Thanks for the tip on the airport--I am not a last minute person, so we will get there early enough!
Thanks again--the community boards are the best!
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Yes I have eaten at the Mining company several times. The show is about 15 minutes with a gold pan demo. OK for free. Since you have a car- why not just have a later dinner?? Then head to the airport??