Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with tour itinerary please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-tour-itinerary-please-198553/)

Jilly Apr 13th, 2002 07:29 AM

Help with tour itinerary please!

Hi<BR><BR>We have the opportunity of flying to Chicago from the UK in August. We are looking at the possibility of picking up a hire car at the airport and then touring the area, for around 2 weeks.<BR><BR>Can anyone give suggestions for a suitable itinerary - we plan to spend the final 3 nights in Chicago.<BR><BR>Interesting scenery, great accommodation etc. <BR><BR>Many thanks.<BR>Jilly

a Apr 13th, 2002 09:38 AM

I can't help with accomodations, but as far as activities.<BR><BR>I would definitely do the architecture boat tour and visit Frank Lloyd Wright's home.

linda Apr 13th, 2002 09:48 AM

Jilly,<BR> It is expensive to park a car in Chicago at the hotel.It might be cheaper to turn it in early and shuttle to airport. I personally hate driving in the city- it's impossible finding parking as well.You can walk to many Chi sites or take taxis- nothing is too far. In August, you can enjoy the Navy Pier, then take a water taxi down to the Aquarium and the Planetarium.That's a nice way to relax! Please consider this- and have a great time! Chicago is a fun city.

Bob Brown Apr 13th, 2002 10:17 AM

Of course I am clueless as to your personal interests and preferences, but for me, I would not leave Chicago without visiting Sue at the Field Museum. It has got to be one of the top 5 or 6 museums in the world.<BR>

John Apr 13th, 2002 02:00 PM

Jilly, be advised that the weather in August in Chicago will be shocking compared to the UK - heat and humidity quite high, so I'd probably plan an itinerary that allows some water-based recreation and/or indoor pastimes in the event of uncomfortable days. Areas in Wisconsin or Minnesota may serve, or else (this may sound a bit extreme but is actually doable with the time available) push the pedal and head west toward the Rockies - you can be in the Badlands and Black Hills of S. Dakota with one overnight in each direction, and the contrast between the great city and the great plains is very dramatic and worthwhile.<BR><BR>In Chicago, by all means visit all the museums - Art Institute, Field, Terra, Aquarium... and take the tour put on by the Architecture Foundation... this is one of America's best cities for overseas visitors, and should be savored.

AMG Apr 15th, 2002 01:45 PM

Door County, Wisconsin and the Lake Michigan shore in Michigan (South Haven, Saugatuck) are very scenic and would be at the top of my list for that time of year. Galena, Illinois and the Dubuque, Iowa area (along the river) are also nice. St. Louis is only 5 hours (give or take) away to see the Arch but St. Louis will be meltingly hot in August. Indianapolis is also very close. There really are a endless number of trips you could take from Chicago. It would depend on your interests. I second the recommendation to take the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour (www.architecture.org) - I prefer the river cruise version rather than the bus or walking tours. They also sponsor a Frank Lloyd Wright tour.

Paul Apr 19th, 2002 10:06 AM

Jill, only 3 nights in Chicago? There's not much to do outside the city except the Frank Lloyd Wright tour in Oak Park and Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL. You'll regret not spending more time in the city. So much to do!