Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with the Jersey shore (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-the-jersey-shore-501449/)

sunriseway Feb 5th, 2005 03:04 PM

Help with the Jersey shore

We're looking for a family vacation in July or August. We would like it family friendly. I hear Cape May is nice. We'll be travellng with a 7yo &3yo. Is this a good choice for a week. Can you help me with eateries in the area .

tpatricco Feb 5th, 2005 04:38 PM

Hi sunriseway,

For NJ shore family vacations you should consider Cape May, Sea Isle City, Ocean City, Stone Harbor, & Long Beach Island... those seem to be the most popular areas for families.

Water temperatures get warmer as we get closer to September, so if ocean swimming is of big interest, the later in August, the better.

I still have no kids, so others can advise on more details...but my friends who do have kids go to these areas of the Jersey shore.

jtp Feb 5th, 2005 05:08 PM

also consider -- Long Beach Island

Avalon4 Feb 6th, 2005 11:10 AM

Hi- I would recommend Avalon- it's between Stone Harbor and Sea Isle. Avalon is very subdued- has great beaches and is a quick- 5 minutes or less drive into the Stone Harbor shopping area. I would recommend a rental in the south end- between 59th street and 76th Street. I went to Avalon every summer as a child and have now been taking my kids there the last 2 weeks in August for the past 12 years. Long Beach Island is almost as pretty as Avalon- but alot more crowded. Hope this helps.

capxxx Feb 7th, 2005 05:38 AM

Having spent almost every year there since the oldest was 2 (he's now 17) ...

I think Stone Harbor would be best for a family with young kids. You can stay close to the beach so there's less schlepping of kid stuff (or take a big kids wagon and park it at the ramp with the others -- no locks necessary), and the traffic is relatively low-key. The ``boardwalky stuff'' is on the main street in town with wide sidewalks for pedestrians, and it is great to wander around in the evening. Some beaches have a ``no boogie boards'' rule, which you may prefer. There are a couple really nice playgrounds off the beach area, too. Take a day trip to Wildwood.

Cape May is pretty and has lots of B&Bs, but not much there for kids IMHO -- the restuarants are too fancy, and there is a busy road that cuts the town off of the beach.

Avalon I have only driven through, but it also seems a comparative long distance between lodging and the beach, with a busy road between, which means schlep and be careful. I am not aware of anything in A. like the walkable town center of Stone Harbor. But the beaches do seem a little more ``nature-y'' than Stone Harbor, which may be attractive to you.

Ocean City may be too big and busy for you, but the boardwalk is great fun. Wildwood is more for partying college kids than families. The others I don't know so well.

sunriseway Feb 7th, 2005 11:51 AM

Thank you

swalter518 Feb 7th, 2005 12:01 PM

We were there last summer travelling with my 7 mo old niece and although we like visiting Ocean City, I wouldn't stay there with little kids as you have to travel over the Boardwalk to get to the beach. I liked Cape May but the previous posters comments about the beach being divided from the hotels by a fairly busy street is true. I have friends that stay in LBI every year with kids around your ages and they love it but I can't speak for it personally.

JCee Feb 7th, 2005 12:05 PM

Live in PA and have visited the Jersey shore countless times as a child and now as a parent of three children. As suggested by others, I think Avalon and Stone Harbor would be best for a family. Make your reservations soon - places book early. Have fun!

Stephanie Feb 7th, 2005 05:15 PM

sunrise:

In the 1970s as a child I always went to the Cape May/Wildwood or Rehoboth Beach. I just remember being on a raft and riding the waves that is what I only wanted to do along with taking some time making some figurines in the sand. Actually one year we took the Cape May/Lewes Ferry from Cape May to Rehoboth. When I went to see the Ferry again in 2000 there were better schedules and the ship is more entertaining than in the 1970s. Couldn't tell you about places to stay when it comes to hotels/motels, we always stayed in Yogi Bear, KOA or other local campgrounds for like $6/night (1970s rates).

soapsfan Feb 8th, 2005 07:14 PM

I strongly suggest Ocean City, NJ - very family oriented - it's a dry town, so no bars or liquor stores. Great boardwalk - about 22 blocks. Great beaches, amusement parks, stores and food on the boardwalk.

I grew up going there and have gone there every summer of my life - and we loved the rides as kids- except when I was little everything was closed on Sunday and as a kid we hated that - thank goodness everything is open everyday.

Lots of motels and hotels - and duplexes to rent. If you are interested in renting a duplex - check out the real estate agencies, I think they are up to about $2400 a week - absurd I know, my Dad said he thought it was expensive when duplexes went from $75 to $100 a week, when I was little.

If you are tight on money and want to save on a hotel - stay at the Residence Inn in Somers Point. It's across the bridge from Ocean City but has it's own kitchen and living area for each room - and cheaper than in Ocean City - only drawback is driving instead of walking to the beach.

Generally safe place too. Let me know if you want more details.

girlonthego Feb 8th, 2005 07:19 PM

Long Beach Island is a great family place. We vacationed there as kids and have returned many times with our own. Rent a house and enjoy!

justme22 Feb 9th, 2005 02:24 PM

the question is, do you want boardwalk for the evenings, all the beaches are really pretty good, wildwood has an enormous distance to deep water so it's good for kids. Ocean city with the board walk close, should be considered, you really don't want to be driving into ocean city and looking for parking. Cape May - beautiful but not a kid town. you have to get johnson's popcorn 14th st and the boardwalk in ocean city.

rjw_lgb_ca Feb 17th, 2005 03:09 PM

I'm confused-- you suggest here that you've never been to Cape May, yet you recommend your preferred lodging there in this earlier post:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34547551

What gives?!

earl30 Feb 19th, 2005 05:34 PM

Here are some restaurant suggestions from someone who sounds like they know:

"Author: sunriseway
Date: 02/14/2005, 12:20 pm
Message: Cape May has fabulous restaraunts. Alot of them are BYOBS. Look for a B&B called the Fairthorne ask for the Emma Kate suite. Its awesome. Restaraunts are CucinaRosa, The Ebbitt Room , Black Duck, Waters Edge, among other great places. I would highly recommend Cape May . Its a fantastic town."