Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with San Diego food, activities & hotel between LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-san-diego-food-activities-and-hotel-between-la-741810/)

adnil1962 Oct 9th, 2007 04:13 PM

Help with San Diego food, activities & hotel between LA

Hello,

We are headed to San Diego at the end of the month. We are flying into LA as I got a flight from Boston for only $178.

We are flying in Saturday morning. We do have a time share (next to Hotel Del in Coronado for a week starting Sunday).

I have several questions:
1. Where do we stay Saturday night (both of us have already spent time in LA & at Disney/Universal) - do we just drive to San Diego or stop somplace on the way? In either case, any hotel suggestions?

2. We love all food especially Mexican, Sushi and healthier choices. Price is not a concern as long as the meal is good. I have gotten some suggestions (below) - Can you comment on these choices and/or recommend others?

3. We love hiking, photography, biking, eating, wine, wandering through new areas/window shopping, strolling beaches. We have a list of activities (also below). Please let me know if I have missed anything or if you would remove something from the list.

4. Thinking about booking a massage. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Dinner suggestions:

Georges at the Cove (California Modern, Ocean Terrace, George's Bar), 1250 Prospect Street, La Jolla, CA 92037, Reservations TEL: 858 454 4244
National Accolades
AAA Four Diamond Award (2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001)
Distinguished Restaurants of North America (DiRONA)
Gourmet Magazine picks George's for "Where to eat right now in 30 American cities." more
Wine Spectator Award of Excellence
Zagat Survey – Most Popular Restaurant in San Diego
Food & Wine Magazine – America's Ten Best Chefs
GQ Magazine – Golden Dish Award
--------------------------------------------

Old Town Mexican Cafe
Old Town Mexican Cafe
2489 San Diego Ave
San Diego, CA 92110
Tel: (619) 297-4330

From Fodors: There are certain things at Old Town Mex that are outstanding and the rest is very average..
Carnitas are some of the best in town.

San Diego Magazine's Reader's Choice Award '90 through '00
One of the Best Mexican Restaurants

San Diego Restaurant Association's Gold Medallion Award five years in a row.
Finest Mexican Restaurant
--------------------------------------------Miguel's Cocina Coronado is located in the lush courtyard of the historic El Cordova Hotel, directly across the street from the Hotel Del Coronado. Opened in June 1982, this restaurant has become a Coronado favorite with its delicious Mexican cuisine and charming patio setting.
1351 Orange Avenue
They have a really nice outdoor patio there and excellent food, we loved the Mexican creme brulee with Warm Churros for dessert.

Hotel Del
Savor The "Best Hotel Dining In San Diego" At Hotel Del Coronado Restaurants
The resort's latest addition to the Coronado restaurant scene is the exciting 1500 OCEAN. Featuring one-of-a-kind, intimate indoor and outdoor settings and the freshest in Southland Coastal Cuisine, this captivating Coronado Island restaurant is sure to satisfy even the most discriminating palette. For a different flavor, enjoy casual California coastal cuisine and a special children's menu at Sheerwater, or light fare at the Sushi Bar at Babcock & Story Bar. Both offer spectacular indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the Pacific.

The Del's historic Crown Room is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a sumptuous Sunday brunch - voted the Best in San Diego.

-------------------------------------------

Candelas San Diego || 416 3rd Ave. San Diego, CA 619.702.4455

Gas Lamp District - Mexican

El Agave

2304 San Diego Avenue
Old Town, San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 220-0692

The cilantro soup, calamari & mole ( any mole!) were especially delicious. You may dine comfortably outside, but you will miss the awesome collection of tequila bottles inside. The smaller dining room window tables allow romantic sunset views of Old Town. Definitely worth the walk down the main drag & up the stairs.
The other dishes on the menu are a bit overpriced IMO, but the moles there are fantastic.

Chive (online menu looks good) # 3 at tripadvisor

http://www.chiverestaurant.com/chive.html

Chive is down there in the Gaslamp. It's chic and the food is wonderful.

558 4th Ave., San Diego, CA 92101
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Eclectic
Price range*: $10-30
Neighborhood: Downtown
Tel: 619-232-4483
--------------------------------------------Sushi Ota
4529 Mission Bay Dr., San Diego, CA 92109
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Price range*: $18-20
Tel: 619-270-5670

25 things to do:
- La jolla shores beach
- Snorkling at la jolla cove
- Walking down Prospect Street in La Jolla
- Hiking Torrey Pines Bluff - Coast Highway 101, San Diego, CA 92037 Tel: 858 755 2063, Although this park is located within San Diego's city limits, it remains one of the wildest landscapes along the Southern California coast, with miles of unspoiled beaches, chaparral, elegant Torrey Pine trees and a lagoon vital to many species of migrating birds.
- Visiting Coronado Village
- Sunday Brunch at Hotel Del Coronado
- Pub crawl in the Gaslamp Quarter Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, A 16-block national historic district that offers visitors a variety of restaurants and shops, as well as an eyeful of Victorian architecture.
- San Diego Zoo
- Wandering Balboa Park & the museums - http://www.balboapark.org/
- Walking Pacific Beach at night
- Visiting the Mission (it is not in Old Town)
- Views from Cabrillo National Monument looking at all the submarines
- Views from Mt Soledad Cross
- Eating greasy carne asada burritos at Albertos
- Watching the guy build his rock towers at Seaport Village
- checking out the tide pools at the base of Point Loma
- Take the light rail to Tijuana
- Museum of Photographic Arts1649 El Prado at Sixth Avenue, Balboa Park, San Diego, CA 92101 , Tel: 619-238-7559

TahitiTams Oct 9th, 2007 05:37 PM

Coronado is lovely and I would go to the Brigantine across the street from the Del for the best seafood happy hour everyday and they have some of the best fish tacos around..
Love George's in LJ and I would do Sushi Ota or Zenbu in LJ for sushi..
I would not walk PB..unless you like beer joints, tattos and lots of homeless.
I would concentrate on Coronado/La Jolla/Del Mar and the Gaslamp..
Hiking at Torrey Pines State Reserve is gorgeous.
For Mexican anywhere from restaurants and taco shops are excellent..
I would also skip TJ..its a hole and its dangerous and takes forever to come back across the border whether you walk or drive..
We were just in Boston and had a blast so I hope you have a wonderful time in my city!

gaslamp.org
brigantine.com
torreypines.org

iowamom Oct 10th, 2007 12:06 PM

Great fare! I would suggest a night in Laguna Beach area (I don't have good hotel suggestions since we stay with my parents in Irvine) or Dana Point (Blue Lantern Inn is great - stayed there for two nights after our wedding). Both have interesting areas to walk around and good restaurants. Laguna Beach has a great art community and a nice beach for strolling.

Enjoy San Diego - it's a great city!

smartcookie Oct 10th, 2007 12:14 PM

I would also recommend spending the night in Laguna Beach. Another option would be to stay in Manhattan Beach for the night before driving to San Diego.

Check www.yelp.com for restaurant reviews.

adnil1962 Oct 10th, 2007 02:39 PM

Thanks so much - will definitely check out hotels in Laguna Beach & the other places mentioned. Also thanks for the itinerary critique and restaurant link!!!

logandog Oct 10th, 2007 02:49 PM

Torrey Pines has some great hiking trails that lead down to the beach.