Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with San Antonio visit. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-san-antonio-visit-262417/)

Jackie Oct 1st, 2002 08:32 AM

Help with San Antonio visit.

Hi,<BR>I would love to visit San Antonio,I have not been there before and am looking for some help.<BR><BR>First when is the best time of year to visit? I would like to go when it might not be so hot.Things I am most interested in is spending time on the River Walk,and a day at Seaworld. I have seen some pictures of the River Walk at night with it all light up in lights. It looked like something special might be going on,very beautiful. Does anyone know when the best time to viit is to see the River like that?<BR><BR>I don't plan on driving,so how easy is it to get transportion from the River Walk area to Seaworld, and other areas that might be of interest? <BR><BR>Also I have looked at the web sites of some of the best Hotels on the River Walk and they look very expensive.Is they any nice hotels( 3 star) along there that are a bit cheeper and still in a good safe,central area?<BR><BR>Thanks for any ideas.<BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR>

lisa Oct 1st, 2002 08:47 AM

The lights on the Riverwalk are during the Xmas season. <BR><BR>If you want to avoid hot AND visit Sea World, I would suggest checking out when Sea World is open, and going either at the begining of the season or at the end. I think Sea World opens in April. Usually not too hot here yet, so I'd suggest that. Just avoid Late May - early September. (Tho it's near 90 today, Oct. 1...)<BR><BR>Sea World is about an hour from downtown SA. I'm not sure, but there may be a bus you can take from somewhere downtown. I'd call or email Sea World and ask. <BR><BR>As far as hotels on the River, most are a little pricey. Are you a state or government employee? I know that I can get a pretty good rate ($90?) at the Westin, one of the nicest ones on the Riverwalk. If not a gov't or state employee, maybe AAA or AARP?

Karen Oct 1st, 2002 08:53 AM

Went to San Antonio last Memorial Day for 8 days. Had a great time but it was very hot. If heat is an issue with you, it is probably better to go in the fall or winter time.<BR><BR>Riverwall is very nice almost any time of year. There are boat rides, restaurants, bars and music most evenings, a mall (if you have children and they like video games). Sometimes they even have crafts shows. I'm also told that there is a wonderful festival of lights at Christmastime.<BR><BR>We did Sea World, Schlitterbaun Waterpark, and Six Flags outside of San Antonio. In San Antonio we did Riverwalk, Market Square, the Alamo and the Alamo movie, and a hop on hop off trolly ride of City to name a few. things<BR><BR>We stayed at the Holiday Inn which is on a quite end of the Riverwalk. We thought the price was rather reasonable at about $140 a night for the location. The room was big and clean but nothing special. The staff was friendly and helpful. Most hotels right on riverwalk are not cheap. However, I think you can get some good buys nearby.<BR><BR>Do a search on this websight using the search box at the top of this page. There is lots of information posted Re: San Antonio. Have fun. We did.

kal Oct 1st, 2002 09:37 AM

Aloha Jackie,<BR>I went to SA in Feb and May '00 and both months I had excellent weather. In fact, in Feb, it was sunny and in the hi 70s low 80s. We even used the swimming pool at The Menger Hotel.<BR><BR>When Mrs Kal and I went in May, we stayed at The Emily Morgan and once again, except for a LARGE gully washer that lasted long enuff to rain out a SA Mission v. Round Rock Express, a minor A league baseball game. Other than that, gorgeous weather. <BR><BR>The Menger and Emily Morgan were nice hotels just a short walk to the R'walk and right next door to the Alamo.<BR>I'd stay at either one if we go back.<BR>Kal

laurie Oct 1st, 2002 10:58 AM

I just returned from SA:<BR><BR>I stayed at the La Quinta Convention Center (3 blocks from the Alamo & right next door to the Rivercenter Mall, one of the entrances to the Riverwalk). The hotel was great with a nice pool and an excellent included breakfast for less than $100/night.<BR><BR>Attractions: Alamo, Yanaguana Riverwalk boat ride, Historic Missions, Institute of Texan Cultures, Tower of the Americas.

Christie Oct 1st, 2002 11:05 AM

You will definitely need a car if you plan to visit Sea World because it is about a half hour's drive away from the Riverwalk. You might consider renting a car for a day or two only when you need it.<BR><BR>I'd also recommend doing the Mission Trail when you have a car. The old missions were what made San Antonio into a city, and they are really neat to visit. Be sure and bring some water or drinks and snacks as most of the missions are still working churches, so there isn't anywhere to buy anything.<BR><BR>I'd recommend going in the springtime, perhaps in late April or early May. The wildflowers in the springtime are just GORGEOUS, but you wil need a car to get out of town and see them. Make a day's drive up to Fredricksburg!

jt Oct 1st, 2002 11:35 AM

Good for you, I always aim for below $100 hotel and no car, as well.<BR><BR>Best solution may be a B&B in the beautiful King William district of restored victorian houses. It is on the river as well, and the famous riverwalk extends to there, although few seem to walk that far due to a boring stretch inbetween. Not sure about prices now.<BR><BR>For a bit longer excursions, there are tourist trolleys, etc. See the 1000 brochures at tourist office across from Alamo. The lights are for Christmas season (and probably a long time before). They joke the city takes 6 months to put them up and 6 months to take them down, so why not leave em up?

john Oct 1st, 2002 12:13 PM

I lived there for 16 years. If you don't like hot himid weather go anytime between Oct. and April.<BR><BR>The best time to be on the river walk is between thanksgiving and new years. Millions of christmas lights.<BR><BR>find the toll free number or web site for the San Antonio Visitors Bureau to get brochures and info. there are some less expensive new hotels near the riverwalk like Days Inn, etc.

Mike Oct 1st, 2002 12:28 PM

My wife and I were in San Antonio in Feb. of 2001. The days were sunny and hot, but the nights had a very cold wind. Nothing we couldnt handle though.<BR>We stayed at the Wyndham St. Anthony's. Not right on the river, but close enough.

Don Oct 1st, 2002 01:07 PM

Regarding John's reply--San Antonio Convention and Visitors Bureau Web site is:<BR><BR>http:www.sanantoniocvb.com<BR><BR>

marsha Oct 1st, 2002 04:50 PM

My husband, children, and I were in San Antonio in both March and August of this year. March turned out to be very cold, damp, and rainy while August was extremely hot (we actually liked it hot.) As someone mentioned above, keep in mind that Seaworld is not open year round.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Westin on the Riverwalk but I would actually prefer to be closer in, e.g., the Hyatt or the Hilton. While both hotels are aging, they seem to be in better shape than the ones nearer to the Alamo.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip; it's a great town.