Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with planning girls trip to Key West (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-planning-girls-trip-to-key-west-862155/)

SaltysMom Oct 6th, 2010 05:36 PM

Help with planning girls trip to Key West

We've never been to Key West, so I'm just starting to investigate if it would be a fun place to travel with 4 fun-loving mid-40's ladies. We like beach fun and going out for cocktails and nice dinners in the evenings. Is there a better "area" to stay in? I hear there is an Old Town and a New Town. Any info would be apprciated. We most likely would rent a house or condo - but would entertain nice resorts if you know of any. We plan to go in early April (since Easter week is late April this year - trying to avoid that) and will stay a week. Thanks for any tips or info you can pass along!

sobster Oct 6th, 2010 06:04 PM

Casa Marina

stumpworks73 Oct 7th, 2010 04:00 AM

Casa Marina, Hilton, Hyatt and Pier House are beautiful resort hotels on the waterfront. All beaches in the Keys are man made. KW is a great place to enjoy the spring sun, but you won't be on a wide expanse of sand.

Nice places in KW command hefty prices during the season and April will still be peak. Do not expect a bargain.

All these hotels are walking distance of Duval Street and Mallory Square Pier for the sunset.

Nice restaurants are super casual in KW. Tee shirts and shorts are fit for formals. Louie's Backyard is a long time favorite. The Pier House rewtaurant has an excellent waterfront and outdoor tables.

volcanogirl Oct 7th, 2010 04:03 AM

We really loved The Marquesa.

garyt22 Oct 7th, 2010 05:11 AM

I agree with the Marquesa... there are some great rooms on the second floor with a connecting deck overlooking one of the pools... morning breakfast can be brought up to you and you can roll out of bed in an amazingly beautiful setting...4 of you could easily share two rooms and own that deck... also a great setting for cocktails before dinner...

Key West is a pool town, not so much on Beaches, but you can go to Smathers Beach, and the larger resorts mentioned above have baby beaches ... although they get crowded...

The location is perfect for Key West, the hotel is family free so you avoid the noise and can enjoy the pools, the Marquesa restaurant is top notch, and you are a few blocks from the Sunset pier...

Make sure in your planning to include a Drag Show... we did Club La Te Da and it was amazing for a party group... also a sunset sail (with the proper drinks)... there are dozens of great restaurants, and a walk down Duval St. provides more party than you can handle... have fun!

phoebe92877 Oct 7th, 2010 05:56 AM

My husband and I have been a few times and we love the Orchid Key Inn. Don't let the purple neon scare you, it is a motel that's been rennovated and the rooms are small, but very well done. They offer complimentary happy hour at their sister property and also a basic continental breakfast. The pool area is great and we can't say enough good things about the staff. It's only a few steps from Duval, but near the Southern Most Point so it's a bit more quiet.

I agree with others that there is plenty to do (or nothing to do if you choose) but hotels can be pricey.

Have a great time!

cruisin_tigger Oct 7th, 2010 11:51 AM

Since you mentioned condos: http://www.1800atlantic.com/

We've stayed here twice. Really nice property, but it is a bit from Duval Street.

SusanCS Oct 8th, 2010 10:18 AM

I'll just add a few thoughts - that're contrary to some already mentioned here. (Gary, you won't be surprised!)

The Marquesa is perfectly beautiful, but I think it's better suited to couples than to singles traveling together and looking for cocktails and fun.

I would nix 1800 Atlantic for the same reason cruisin_tigger mentions - it's far from Duval and the "action."

For sheer proximity alone, I think you'd be happiest sticking with one of the hotels on the Bay side of Key West: The Pier House, Ocean Key Resort, the Westin (formerly the Hilton), and the Hyatt. There are 4 Hyatts in Key West...two in great locations on the water: the Hyatt Resort & Marina on Front Street, and the Hyatt Sunset Harbor, which is a timeshare on Front Street.

The Casa Marina definitely has the best resort feel, and the most property, but is a little farther from the majority of activities on the island, including sunset celebrations, most tourist activities, water excursions, sunset sails, and restaurants.

You're going to love Key West!