Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with picking a hotel in Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-picking-a-hotel-in-maui-567741/)

ga9497 Oct 29th, 2005 12:25 PM

Help with picking a hotel in Maui

HELP!!!

We are planning a vacation to Maui in late June 2006 for about 10 nights. We are a family of 4 and would love to stay in the Wailea area but the hotels I have looked at are all $450 a night and up.

Any recommendations on a hotel that isn't over $300 a night? Would prefer Wailea but other recommendations are welcomed

Thanks

beanweb24 Oct 29th, 2005 12:33 PM

What about staying in a condo instead?

ga9497 Oct 29th, 2005 12:38 PM

Any recommendation of one?

Don't want something run down

tja98 Oct 29th, 2005 12:52 PM

Go with a condo, and if you can find one, in Kihei. Sorry, I don't have $$$ listed.
I've got friends that worked at The Grand Wailea and that's where they lived (Kihei). It's not far, and even the older condos/long-term motels looked decent.
Save your money on something more fun, like scuba, or even a car rental. You're not going to spend all that much time at the hotel, right?

~T

p.s. There's a little park with beach access between The Grand and 4 Seasons. It's not much beach, and the hotel's will ask you off of "their" beach (if you go on their property too often), but it's a great sunset location.

beanweb24 Oct 29th, 2005 01:57 PM

We'll be staying at Kihei Surfside in March in unit #604...looks nice, but I can't personally endorse it until after I've ben there! Found the rental here and there are other nice units listed (but pay attention to whether or not they have a/c if that is something you require).

http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com/

iamq Oct 29th, 2005 02:37 PM

ga,

I would look into the Maui Prince. It's just past Wailea in Makena. Rooms start at around $250 a night. The hotel's website usually has good deals. It's on a very nice beach.

-Bill

enjoylife Oct 29th, 2005 02:40 PM

Also check www.vrbo.com.

Softato1 Oct 29th, 2005 04:16 PM

We have had two sets of friends who stayed at the Ekahi Condo in Wailea. We visited them there and it is really nice. Right on a swimming beach very near the big resort hotels. The pool by the beach has a large cabana with table, chairs, etc. There is a frig. there, so you can take snacks or lunch to the pool. There is also a locker room right there with hot showers, so you can get all cleaned up before going back to the condo. It is also close to dining at all $$ levels. I would stay there in a minute. Are there kids in your group and if so, how old?

Look on vrbo.com for condos in Wailea. I have rented numerous condos and houses in various locations through them and have never been disappointed.

crazy4Hawaii Oct 29th, 2005 04:34 PM

All above are good suggestions. If you prefer a resort to a condominium, hotels.com quoted me a rate of $301. per night for the Renaissance Wailea a few minutes ago. The Maui Prince would be another good choice. Sometimes the Grand Wailea offers three nights for the price of two which would put one of their terrace rooms a bit under $350.

tcapp Oct 29th, 2005 04:42 PM

Try Napili Sunset. It's an older property, but still kept very nice, and is on a lovely stretch of beach.
It's located in Napili, between Lahaina and Kapalua. www.napilisunset.com

Softato1 Oct 29th, 2005 05:56 PM

Are you committed to the Wailea area? If you are, Napili is far from there. If you are open to the west side of the island as well, that opens up a lot of options.

bonniebroad Oct 29th, 2005 06:20 PM

I would buy the Entertainment Book, and use it to get half-price rates at the Renaissance Wailea that time of year. We have gotten great rates that way in the past, $225 for a $450 room, for example. Gppd luck with your planning!

sylvia3 Oct 29th, 2005 07:48 PM

Here goes: reasonable, good location, all across from Kamaole
Beach Park, at the end of Kihei, just before Wailea; from north to south, these are: Kamaole Sands (large, many units, nice grounds), Hale Kamaole (smaller, low rise, nice pools, nice views from lanais), Maui Kamaole (bit removed from the beach, little pricier, on a little hill). The prices of all three of these should be very good, much less than a hotel, all have 2 bdrm, 2 bth available, all have rentals in addition by private owners also through VRBO, but properties listed with all the condo agencies. In June, you can do a 2 bd, 2 bth for (easily) less than $200.

bonniebroad Oct 30th, 2005 04:25 AM

ga9497, I would give some thought to what you REALLY prefer in terms of vacation atmosphere. Condos can be wonderful bargains and have a very nice ambiance, but if what you really want is a "resort experience," there are ways to manage it with the Entertainment Book or other discounts. Also, the E Book can be used the same way on MANY nice condos in Hawaii if you choose that route. (Even if the particular condo is not listed in the E Book, always call and ask if they offer E Book rates, as many do!) I enjoy the feel of a resort when I'm vacationing in Hawaii, so that's how I usually go. I pamper myself more there ... and save the (nice) condos for my Florida vacations and those here on the NC coast. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time! ((r))

ga9497 Oct 30th, 2005 11:13 AM

Thank you for all of the information everyone

Yes I am only looking in Wailea or South Kihei. Friends of ours just moved to the Wailea area and we plan on visiting them but since they only have a one bedroom unit right now we don't want to intrude on them (we are 4 people) and are looking for something nearby

We would love a resort like the Grand Wailea but really can't afford right now the $400 and up per night rate. I have been checking the website but so far no specials for June 2006.

We would prefer a resort but if we can't find anything in our price range we will have to look at a condo

I figure if we go the condo route I can ask them to drive to some and give us their opinion but there are so many to choose from it is hard to know where to start.

I have looked at vrbo.com and some are nice but others look too plain and basic for us.

Again thanks for the help and we will keep looking

ga9497 Oct 30th, 2005 11:16 AM

We just received a rate for the Maui Prince of $250 per night and also at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei for $220 per night

Any opionions on either? Everything I have read says that the Maui Prince is too out of the way as it is at the end of Wailea

iamq Oct 30th, 2005 12:58 PM

Maui Prince hands down! The Maui Coast is not in Wailea, but in Kihei and is not beachfront if that is important to you. "Out of the way" is a very subjective term. I would much prefer the Prince's location to the Coast's.

-Bill

DB Oct 30th, 2005 01:28 PM

There are a few places on the internet where you can rent privately owned condos at good prices, for instance:
http://www.greatvacationrental.com
http://www.aliiresorts.com

For hotels, try:
"http://www.hotelonsale.com/default.asp"

to get an idea of pricing and specials. Not many specials available yet for 2006 (car rentals too), they probably won't start showing up until after after New Years.

((B))((B)) Oh-ho, only 112 more days to Maui! ((#)) ((r))

Just say NO! to ~:> ~:>

B-)

dave56 Oct 30th, 2005 03:41 PM

I second Ekahi condos in Wailea. Just do a web search for Ekahi rentals. You'll find owners renting them privately. Great ocean-front pool and beach.

crazy4Hawaii Oct 30th, 2005 04:28 PM

The Maui Prince would be my pick out of the information you've gotten so far.

However, I do believe you'll see some deals for the Grand Wailea and the Fairmont Kea Lani when January rolls around. Every year I've looked, I've seen a fifth night free for the Kea Lani and a three nights for the price of two for the Grand Wailea.