Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with picking a Broadway show (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-picking-a-broadway-show-440878/)

beachgirl86 Jun 9th, 2004 02:51 PM

Help with picking a Broadway show

I will be in NYC for a weekend in July celebrating my bachelorette party with some girlfriends (we are in our mid-twenties.) A couple of us are thinking of going to a Sunday matinee for a Broadway show. The tickets that I found available during a quick online search were: 42nd St., Hairspray, Lion King. To give a reference, some of the shows I have already seen are: Phantom (not too crazy about it); Fosse (enjoyed it) Aida, Grease, The Producers, Beauty and the Beast (LOVED THEM); and I am seeing Mamma Mia here in Boston in July. Any thoughts on these 3 that I found available or any other suggestions? I was interested in Wicked, but it appears sold out. Also, I would prefer a musical, I think. Thanks so much!

hibiscushouse Jun 9th, 2004 03:29 PM

We saw Lion King and it was wonderful. 'course it was my first broadway show ever, so I'm sure that helped with the mystic.
We had our kids, parents, MIL, a BIL, my husband and myself. And everyone loved it.

HowardR Jun 9th, 2004 03:48 PM

Any of the three will be a good choice. If you are interested in saving money, you can probably get discount tickets for 42nd Street on line (www.playbill.com and other websites).

beachgirl86 Jun 9th, 2004 04:01 PM

Also, in addition to those 3, I have also found tix available for Chicago...

bardo Jun 9th, 2004 04:20 PM

Hairspray! I get to about 3 or 4 musicals a year. Hairspray was the best I've seen in about 10 years. It was the original cast. Would be interested to hear how Michael McKean is in it.

http://www.hairsprayonbroadway.com/

cwill Jun 9th, 2004 04:21 PM

I enjoyed Bombay Dreams very much; its a musical, very lively.

travelingecho Jun 9th, 2004 04:34 PM

I'm also in my twenties. I loved Hairspray (I'm seeing it again this August)! The visuals were cool for Lion King but I didn't feel it was any better than the cartoon (but worth checking out) and 42nd street was entertaining but I felt was outdated.

A few other suggestions Avenue Q, Wicked, Rent, and Urinetown. There's also a show currently playing off-broadway called 'bare' (check it out on www.barethemusical.com). I saw this show a couple times when it was originally playing here in Hollywood - it was great! Definitely would recommend all these.

For discounts, check out www.playbill.com and www.hitshowclub.com

bradk Jun 9th, 2004 08:17 PM

regretfully, urinetown is long gone only because the theatre was set to be demolished

Statia Jun 10th, 2004 07:26 AM

I've really enjoyed Rent and Chicago with my girlfriends. What about "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change." Might be appropriate before marriage? (wink, wink) :)

suzanne Jun 10th, 2004 09:20 AM

Based on your likes & dislikes (which are exactly the same as mine) I think you would really enjoy Chicago (my all-time favorite) and Thoroughly Modern Millie (a fun show...not sure if it's still around).

bradk Jun 10th, 2004 10:04 AM

millie is still around, the tony winning sutton foster is not, however

Eva Jun 10th, 2004 10:09 AM

I believe Millie is closing on june 20th. Hairspray is great!

seetheworld Jun 24th, 2004 12:24 PM

My son, in his early twenties just saw Avenue Q with his girlfriend and absolutely loved it. Check out their website - they give some clips of some of the songs. It did win Tony's Best Musical - beating out Wicked!

Dan Jun 24th, 2004 02:09 PM

Saw Avenue Q and the Boy from Oz earlier this month. Q was fantastic! I liked it better than Wicked, Hairspray, and Lion King although you really can't go wrong with any of them. Thought Hugh Jackman was great in Oz but was kinda unimpressed with everyone else.

Jayne11159 Jun 24th, 2004 02:22 PM

I loved Hairspray and Lion King. IMO, Hairspray will be more fun for your age group and the occasion!

buck1116 Jun 24th, 2004 02:54 PM

Ave Q and Hairspray!

vabarone Jun 24th, 2004 03:04 PM

All good choices.. be sure to check out broadwaybox.com they list current the current discounts. My recent favorite is Wicked.

wantsomesun Jun 24th, 2004 04:35 PM

For a Bachelorette party, I would suggest "Forbidden Broadway", it is the funniest production I have EVER seen. It is a parody of every show ever to be on Broadway, almost and they include the latest shows as well. We hurt from laughing too much. I think it is still a dinner/drinks place so check it out.

Have a great time while you are here and congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

jerseygirl1 Jun 24th, 2004 04:54 PM

I have seen many of the shows you have seen with similar opinions:) 42nd Street is a fun one. But please do consider I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change! if this is a pre wedding weekend. Another poster mentioned it, although it may have been in jest. I went to see this show with a bridal party (all in late 20s and early 30s)and the moms of the bride and groom...We all laughed through the whole show...very timely. Sit no closer than the 5th or 6th row as the first few rows you need to look up at the stage. Have many other friends who have seen it and loved it.

audra Jun 24th, 2004 05:04 PM

I would consider RENT, Hairspray and Chicago, in that order.

I agree with others that while 42nd screams NYC, it's a bit outdated. And IMHO, The Lion King just *screams* period, and is not at all *musical* although the staging and scenery are second to none.

Congrats on the wedding and have a great time in the city!